Great Tutorial: Modelling Chocolate Roses

Decorating By kelly75 Updated 30 Apr 2007 , 7:57am by beesting

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 14

I found this great tutorial online, at pastrychef.com. It includes the recipe for the modelling chocolate and photos and instructions for making roses.

http://pastrychef.com/htmlpages/recipes/rose.html

Kelly

13 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 14

thanks for the link!! I have been to a few demos about making these roses but I am the kind of person that has to have the info in front of me to remember!!! It's that age thing I guess!!!

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks!

enchantedmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedmoments Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks for the link,
but it caused me to spend way to much money
Ha Ha!
Found items I had been looking for on their site.
Thanks Again

kelly75 Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 1:11pm
post #5 of 14

That site is great! Loads of recipes and a shop too! There are lots of things there that I want to buy, but can't because I'm in Ireland. I can't even get cake flour here icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Kelly

kelly75 Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 14

Just bumping this up, so more people can see it!

Kelly

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 1:59am
post #7 of 14

Thanks! i wonder how modeling chocolate does in FL. It's pretty hot and humid here.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:10am
post #8 of 14

Thank you so much for posting this on Modeling Chocolate. I have had my hands full trying to use Gharadelli and making modeling chocolate out of it - even spoke with the company and got no help at all. Have spent way too much $'s on trying to get the right consistency. I'll post if this recipe works better. Thanks again!

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:15am
post #9 of 14

Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to trying it out!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:15am
post #10 of 14

Thanks for the link they look really nice.

Good luck.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:19am
post #11 of 14

I looked at the website and the step-by-step instructions are great. Toba Garrett has an easier recipe. 1 lb semisweet or bittersweet dark chocolate and 2/3 cup light corn syrup. I used chocolate chips and melted them in the microwave and it until it is just about melted and then stir in the corn syrup. You pour the mixture out on plastic wrap and place a second sheet over the top. It needs to age for 24 hours in the refrigerator and then left out 30 minutes to soften. This is soooo easy to work with. I think even easier than fondant.
For white chocolate it is 1 lb white chocolate and 1/2 c. light corn syrup. Also you need to pour the mixture out on newsprint paper for 2-4 hours to absorb some of the fat. then it's treated the same as chocolate. I'm making a dozen white chocolate roses for a Mother's Day cake for my mom. I colored some of the white chocolate clay with Wilton candy food coloring for leaves and they are great. I'll post a pic when it is done.

msdmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msdmom Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:22am
post #12 of 14

I love it...

kelly75 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 7:16am
post #13 of 14

I thought this recipe mght be useful for people who don't have access to corn syrup (like me!) - it's not available here! I have used golden syrup when making chocolate clay with dark chocolate, but it would change the colour of the white chocolate (not too good if you want to make white roses!).

There are a lot of ingredients that are easily available in the US, that we can't get in other parts of the world, like cake flour (boy, am I desperate for some of that!), corn syrup, candy melts; even the powdered sugar here is that nasty lumpy stuff made from sugar beat (thank goodness for IMBC!). I could go on and on about all the simple things listed in recipes, that I can't get here, but enough ranting from me...I'll just depress myself!

Kelly

beesting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beesting Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 7:57am
post #14 of 14

im with kelly75.. here in australia im having alot of trouble getting american things.. mostly crisco...ive resorted to having it imported just for me and also asking my travelling friends to pick some up ...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%