German Chocolate Cake

Baking By momof3jotynjake Updated 4 May 2005 , 6:52am by sweeterbug1977

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 2 May 2005 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 8

Hello!! i just got asked if i know how to make a german chocolate cake and NO i dont! lol
anyone have one they can share with me icon_lol.gif

thank you!!!!!!!!

7 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 8

Use your regular Chocolate cake.. and here is the recipe for the filling and topping. If you make the filling and topping from scratch vs. store bought. You will never ever by store bought frosting again. Good luck..This was my grandma's favorite cake. As a matter of fact, this was the last cake I made before she past.

1 cup white sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a saucepan combine 1 cup sugar, evaporated milk, 1/2 cup butter, and 3 egg yolks. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut, pecans and vanilla. Cool until thick enough to spread.

this was for 3 - 9 inch round pans

momof3jotynjake Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 8

Oh boy! thank you oh so very much icon_smile.gif. !!

I am going to now tell him that YES i can make a german chocolate cake icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 2 May 2005 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 8

ohhhhhh that sounds sooo good Briansbaker!! German Choc has always been my fav! I've never made it homemade though. My mom does all the time! For me! Yummy!!

Let us know how it turns out Ute!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 3 May 2005 , 8:46am
post #5 of 8

You sure are getting alot of orders/questions about the german style cakes.... the best I have made is Duncan Hines.... I know that is lame... but its great..

momof3jotynjake Posted 3 May 2005 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by flayvurdfun

You sure are getting alot of orders/questions about the german style cakes.... the best I have made is Duncan Hines.... I know that is lame... but its great..

I know flay!! lol! they think cause im German... and My whole moms family is in germany, i know how to make them.. lol. One german cake i really love making is the german marble cake.. oooo sooo good with coffee!!! yummy
Flay, that is how i am goin to make the german chocolate cake, with chopped peacans in it..
do you use the plain chocolate cake?

momof3jotynjake Posted 3 May 2005 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 8

HELLO!!
i was wondering... do you use the german chocolate cake topping to ice the whole cake? and does it go in the middle too?

sweeterbug1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeterbug1977 Posted 4 May 2005 , 6:52am
post #8 of 8

Hi momof3,

I have a recipe for a german chocolate cake if you are wanting a recipe from scratch. I always fill the cake with the coconut pecan frosting and put it on top of the cake. I frost the sides and make a border and other decorations with chocolate buttercream frosting. I wish I had a picture on my computer of one of them that I have made, but my digital cam was not working at the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%