Black Icing

Decorating By alexita Updated 1 May 2006 , 11:29pm by CakeBakingGurl

alexita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alexita Posted 1 May 2006 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyone give me some tips on how to make black icing? I sent this question last week but didn't get any responses. I am needing to make an 'Over the Hill' birthday cake this weekend. Everytime I try to make black icing it comes out dark grey never black. I use the Wilton brand icing colors. [/b]

6 replies
topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 1 May 2006 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 7

You can try making it in advance so the color can settle.For some reason it gets darker with time.
I use Spectrum or AmeriColor brand

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 1 May 2006 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 7

make chocolate, then youjust add a little bit of black to it...and it makes a good deep black!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 1 May 2006 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 7

I cheated when I made my lamb's face for my Easter cake. I bought the Wilton tube icing that comes in black and squeezed it into a piping bag with the tip I wanted. I added a little piping gel so that it would come out a little more smoothly. It really helps. But then I only needed a little bit of icing.

kimburkett_83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimburkett_83 Posted 1 May 2006 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 7

I made black icing for the first time this weekend and like mmdd said make some chocolate icing and then add some black coloring. I let it sit for about an hour and it was perfecto!

gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 1 May 2006 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 7

It really does help to start with chocolate icing and then add black food coloring. I recommend the Americolor Black. I have better luck with Americolor colors. Good luck.

CakeBakingGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBakingGurl Posted 1 May 2006 , 11:29pm
post #7 of 7

If you don;'t want chocolate icing you can always tint the icing brown and then wait a little bit and then add black tint! that works for me when I dont want the chocolate flavoring!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%