Our New Addition...

Lounge By PieceofCakeAZ Updated 24 Apr 2007 , 7:29am by PieceofCakeAZ

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 7:20am
post #1 of 33

She's 11 years old, a bit bigger than I'd like, and she ain't the prettiest thing you ever saw.... but for those Arizona mid summer wedding cake deliveries, she is exactly what we need.

So here she is...

Our "new to us" 1996 Ford Econoline E250 Extended Cargo van w/Thermo King refrigeration unit.

If I wanted to, I could carry 20 wedding cakes at a time in this beast and they would stay cold for weeks. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

32 replies
Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 7:40am
post #2 of 33

Hey, I have a 94 Camry as my primary car (of course I'm not in the business of delivering cakes either). That's an upgrade. If I see "your beast" I'll be sure to honk! icon_smile.gif

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 8:32am
post #3 of 33

Drive slowly with this one and hopefully you won't get any traffic camera 'mug shots'! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

customcaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
customcaker Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 12:52pm
post #4 of 33

I have van envy! icon_biggrin.gif How are you setting up the inside to carry your cakes? I have seen some with racks, and then some with just a rubber matt on the floor to stop boxes from slipping. What kind of gas milage do you get?
It looks awesome and I wish you luck and no mechanical problems! thumbs_up.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 33

Good for you....and congratulations! I'm very envious!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 1:09pm
post #6 of 33

I am VERY envious!! My van is not an extended van and I have a ton of catering equipment to haul every weekend! PLUS refrigeration!? Wow, you must be living right, girl! You found a great deal!!

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 33

You lucky dog!!!! WOW!!! That thing is cool...when does your company logo go on? This thing is hot....or should I say "COOL"?!?!?!? You need a Cake Central "wedding cake on board" magnet too!

Beep, Beep!!!

-Michelle

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 1:17pm
post #8 of 33

Aawwww, she's the cutiest wittle girwl! Wook at dos wittle tirwes!

thumbs_up.gif Congrats on the new baby!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 1:20pm
post #9 of 33

WWWOOOOWWW!!! She's BEAUTIFUL!!!!

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 33

Congrats and best wishes. make sure you name the van!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:07pm
post #11 of 33

Look at us with our "van envy". I guess size does matter! My mini seems totally inadequate now. Congrats!

licia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
licia Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:09pm
post #12 of 33

Congratulations on your expansion!!!
Does anyone know what vans like this go for, ballpark figure?

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:20pm
post #13 of 33

That is so cool, gongratulations!

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:36pm
post #14 of 33

Congratulations, I think its lovely. We have horrible looking cars in england. All your cars are so much nicer and bigger. Good luck.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 5:07pm
post #15 of 33

Congrats on your new van!

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 5:08pm
post #16 of 33

thumbs_up.gif Sweet! Love the new little girl! icon_smile.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 5:19pm
post #17 of 33

Awesome you should have your avatar painted on it for free walking advertising in the same colors and every thing, may be something to think about for the future

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 5:23pm
post #18 of 33

I'm jealous. Those vans cost a fortune!

Go to Lowes and get yourself some of the silver window tint to put on those back and side windows of the cargo area. It will keep even more sunlight out. Since they're already tinted, it won't matter if there is more protection from the inside.

At the price of gas today, and what it is going to cost to run that van, you will need all the help you can get.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

feverfixer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feverfixer Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 5:29pm
post #19 of 33

Congrats! Coming from the Phoenix area too, I totally know why you need it. When I deliver a cake I have to leave the car AC running for a while to cool it down beforeI leave.
Diane

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 7:45pm
post #20 of 33

[quote="indydebi"]Wow, you must be living right, girl! [quote]

He's a him, LOL

mom2seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2seven Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 9:11pm
post #21 of 33

Very cool, this is what I have (my kids just HAD to be in the pic also). I'm not even up and running yet but I have a good start for when it time to do deliveries, I'll be ready.

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:42am
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2seven

Very cool, this is what I have (my kids just HAD to be in the pic also). I'm not even up and running yet but I have a good start for when it time to do deliveries, I'll be ready.

mom2seven- ...Dang you could run an entire bakery out of that thing!

PieceofCakeAZ... Yahoo!!! I know you need that! Cool if you can load up and deliver all cakes in one shot. Oh yeah! You must be living right!!
mpc

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 6:26am
post #23 of 33

wow that's great! Congrats icon_biggrin.gif

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 6:42am
post #24 of 33

Oh my gosh! At first I thought you were talking about a real kid you had adopted at first. It made your car story even better.

PieceofCakeAZ Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 8:53am
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraK

Drive slowly with this one and hopefully you won't get any traffic camera 'mug shots'! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_surprised.gif

PieceofCakeAZ Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 8:55am
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcaker

I have van envy! icon_biggrin.gif How are you setting up the inside to carry your cakes? I have seen some with racks, and then some with just a rubber matt on the floor to stop boxes from slipping. What kind of gas milage do you get?
It looks awesome and I wish you luck and no mechanical problems! thumbs_up.gif

We are going to start with just mats on the floor, but we may go with racks eventually. It gets about 15mpg which isn't great but we usually turn down business that is more than 25 miles away anyway. icon_smile.gif

PieceofCakeAZ Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 8:59am
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by msauer

You lucky dog!!!! WOW!!! That thing is cool...when does your company logo go on? This thing is hot....or should I say "COOL"?!?!?!? You need a Cake Central "wedding cake on board" magnet too!

Beep, Beep!!!

-Michelle

I'm thinking we aren't putting the logo on this one. We have 1 logo vehicle and I hate driving it because it attracts so much attention. This way if I ever commit a crime in it, I'll be much harder to ID. icon_wink.gif

PieceofCakeAZ Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 9:02am
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by licia

Congratulations on your expansion!!!
Does anyone know what vans like this go for, ballpark figure?

Thanks!

It really depends on the miles, condition, and who you know. When it was new in 1996 the van was $18,000 and the refrigeration unit was $12,000. The company we bought it from replaced it with a $50K van. I usually see them for $5K-$12K ($5K would have lots of miles on it)

PieceofCakeAZ Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 9:04am
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I'm jealous. Those vans cost a fortune!

Go to Lowes and get yourself some of the silver window tint to put on those back and side windows of the cargo area. It will keep even more sunlight out. Since they're already tinted, it won't matter if there is more protection from the inside.

At the price of gas today, and what it is going to cost to run that van, you will need all the help you can get.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Fortunately the windows are completely covered inside with the insulation required for the fridge no no light gets in the cargo area at all. I would not enjoy riding back there. icon_wink.gif

PieceofCakeAZ Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 9:09am
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2seven

That's a Sprinter right? I love those. I found a decent deal on one a few months ago but it was a "passenger" version instead of the "cargo" version and the health department said that in AZ that I couldn't legally deliver cakes in any passenger vehicle so I didn't pursue it. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%