First Refund....

Decorating By TPDC Updated 11 May 2007 , 1:02am by kelleym

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 11:39pm
post #31 of 47

No news is good news....Not always the case! Sometimes they jsut bad mouth you to everyone. I recently heard this, about a cake artist in _____. "It was the wrong cake, blah, blah, blah, and it wasn't right and she never did anything about it, blah,blah,blah" As a new cake "artist" I was like did you say anything to her and Mof Bride was like "no, why...."

Uh hello! I couldn't believe it! That said I think yours looks so great!

dacakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dacakelady Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 12:04am
post #32 of 47

It's been said over and over..."Don't be so hard on yourself"...I couldn't agree with this 10,000 times more... I wish I had pics of my first wedding cake( Pepto Bismol pink with silk flowers and a small crystal vase with pink silk rose petals between the tiers)- I wanted it to be pastel pink!! lol
But you know what?...The bride and groom loved the cake...The bride thought the pink was perfect! icon_eek.gif ... The courtesy email is fine, but until you get a yay or nay from the newlyweds, shake off the bad vibes and just continue your cakes to get them better for the next order..."Keep on Bakin"... icon_biggrin.gif

heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 12:33am
post #33 of 47

Yeah seriously, I think your cake looks great. I doubt she even thought twice about it.

I loved my wedding cake and just a few weeks ago, I went and looked at a picture of it and it wasn't that great at all. It wasn't smoothed out very well and I wanted swiss dots and she just used the star tip to make a few 'stars' here and there. But at the time, before I got into doing cakes, I thought it looked amazing. And more importantly, it tasted really good!

So don't sweat this at all. I'm sure she loved it! The way it looked and the way it tasted. Let me know when you hear back from her.

cosmicbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cosmicbear Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 12:56am
post #34 of 47

i remember my own wedding cake. while my groom and i were slicing it for the cake ceremony, i saw it wasn't chocolate as i had ordered! being a chocoholic, it affected me of course. knowing i didn't get what i ordered made me feel cheated. but aside from that huge piece which my husband shoved in my mouth for the funny photo moment, i didn't get another chance to eat or think about my cake. plus i was just soooo in love that day (till now) to be really upset about such a trivial thing as cake. i got the right guy! icon_smile.gif

anyway, i'm just sharing my experience (back in the day when i wasn't into cake decorating at all) because that may be how un/important it is to your client-bride. yes, she may not mind at all but also, yes, she may have noticed that something wasn't perfectly right with her cake. rest assured, this will not have affected her wonderful day (if she got the right guy too icon_smile.gif ).

i never contacted the bakeshop that made my wedding cake because i just felt it was useless to complain being that the cake was eaten by the guests anyway. now that you're being so honest about your cake standards, i wish i had gone back to the bakeshop. and then maybe the main decorator who personally took my order would've turned out to be such a nice, decorous person. like you. i admire your ethics. i need to learn from you.

BUT.... your cake looks just fine!!! smile! icon_smile.gif

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 4:11am
post #35 of 47

You guys are all wonderful! That is why I love CC!

Thank you!

sugarhill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarhill Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 5:05am
post #36 of 47

There are times when I feel like the cakes I deliver are not up to par. I used to not even speak with the bride, just mailed a check stating I didn't believe the cake was up to my standard, etc... Please enjoy dinner on me.

I would often get the checks returned with a note from the bride stating everything was wonderful! icon_rolleyes.gif Imagine that!

So, I have now learned not to be so hard on myself and that I really don't like giving money away. Now, if I feel really bad I e-mail them stating I am just following up in regards to the wedding cake delivered. Just making sure everything was as expected and to your satisfaction.

I have not yet received a negative response. (crossing my fingers) (knocking on wood)

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:01pm
post #37 of 47

I always think my cakes look bad, but everyone always raves! I overheard my neighbor telling someone about my cakes yesterday, and it was all good. icon_smile.gif
If you have a doubt, I agree, just send a little note of follow-up congrats and "if I can be of any furthur service, please call..."

TPDC Posted 4 May 2007 , 3:54am
post #38 of 47

So I emailed, still no response. I feel like I should call her but my husband says no, what do you guys think?

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 4 May 2007 , 4:05am
post #39 of 47

I would suggest holding off a little longer before you call her. Her wedding was two weeks ago this Saturday, so it's very possible that they are still on their honeymoon and she hasn't even read your email. I would wait until next week, maybe mid-week, and if you still haven't heard from her by then, call her. Just my opinion. I still think you're being toooooo hard on yourself. icon_smile.gif

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 4 May 2007 , 4:34am
post #40 of 47

I would wait too. The only thing you lose by waiting is holding on to your money a little longer! icon_smile.gif Maybe she was happy with it and figures it is less hassle to forget about calling you back.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 4 May 2007 , 11:31am
post #41 of 47

You did the right thing by e-mailing her. Now it's up to her. Let her contact you. And you are still being way hard on yourself.

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 5 May 2007 , 4:20am
post #42 of 47

Was the lady unhappy? I have a rule... I am NOT ALLOWED to point out flaws. Most of the time I am the only one who notices.

gismo12002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gismo12002 Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:00pm
post #43 of 47

I think the cake looks GREAT! You are tougher on yourself than others would be!!! ALL people aren't perfect! I'm sure the bride enjoyed the cake(and if you refund the money--FREE cake!) Don't be so hard on yourself! Like me--I want it to be p-e-r-f-e-c-t when I make cakes but as someone said on this site--- don't say your cake is wrong--no one else will see it! (the fault-but you). As a matter of fact---I HAVEN'T seen a perfect cake on here--all cakes has individual-with each persons touches!!! Keep up the good work!!!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:25pm
post #44 of 47

I agree with everyone, the cake is not bad at all. I think if she is unhappy, you will hear back from her. Don't push the issue and don't be so hard on yourself. The fact that you emailed her with your concern shows your desire to make her happy.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 10 May 2007 , 6:04am
post #45 of 47

TPDC ... have you heard anything from the bride yet?

TPDC Posted 10 May 2007 , 6:19am
post #46 of 47

CakesbyJess-
I have not heard anything from the bride yet. She was from a bridal fair and many brides create new emails for those. I am wondering if she even got my email.

Thank you everyone for your kind words, if anyone doesn't want to leave thier opinion on here, please PM me with what you think. I will not be offended at all.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:02am
post #47 of 47

This is my first time seeing this thread, and I just wanted to chime in with my support. Yes, you see it's a tad off-center and not perfectly smooth. All of us "pro's" do too. The bride did not see that. She saw her beautiful white cake with flowers.

About a year ago I had a sheet cake to do (HATE!) for some very nice people I know from church. My grandmother was in critical condition in the hospital and I was a stressed out emotional wreck making the cake. I hate sheet cakes and the cake was hhooooooooorrible. I didn't even post a picture here because I was so embarrassed. I wanted to give it to them for free. My husband told me something that I will never forget: "Don't go around badmouthing your own work." He wouldn't let me give the cake away for free, and guess what? The family LOVED the cake. They couldn't see any of the stuff I saw.

Two weeks ago I had a wedding cake partially collapse in the back of my SUV on the way to the wedding. I repaired it as best I could, but it was still a little crooked looking, and there was a smooshed side. You can see it in my photos, the top row (white with red rose petals). The wedding coordinators asked for my card because they said they could tell I did good work!?! I felt so terrible for the bride, I hoped she wasn't disappointed. But remembering my husband's advice, I did not jump the gun and offer to give her a partial refund. Although I had made up my mind that if she called and complained I would offer $100 back. She never called (at least not yet, haha icon_smile.gif ) .

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that the cake was not nearly as bad as you (the creator) thought it was, and that no news is good news. I have several of your cakes in my favorites, keep up the good work. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%