For Those With Dedicated Printers.

Decorating By CarolAnn Updated 4 May 2005 , 5:10am by tcturtleshell

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 1 May 2005 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 15

Okay, I have the $ to get one and I'm going shopping tomorrow. The Office Depot nearest me has 4 Canon iP models. The 6000, 5000, 2000 and 1500. (I think they're the right #'s) Prices range from $199 to $49. I don't have to get the cheapest but I don't want to spend more than I have to either. What do you have and how many cartridges does it use? Frankly I am confused from all the reading I've been doing about all of this. I'm seeing started kits for $225 and $250. That's more than I thought I might be spending, but is it the best way to go? If you have a dedicated printer what do you think? I'd appreciate some input before I head out to shop. Is it worth it to get one that'll print the larger sheets, as long as I'm spending the money, or do you not have much need for them? It's nice to be equipped if the need comes along, know what I mean?

Also, Lisa was it you that made the scrabble board cake with message spelled out? I loved that cake! How'd you do it? I am soo intrigued! Speak up ladies and gents, I'm pretty excited about this!! I have to take a break and go breathe now......

14 replies
cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 1 May 2005 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 15

Hi Carolann, I have a Canon printer that I use for printing for my cakes, I think it's best that you buy from Kopycake, or someone else that sells printers just for this purpose. All Canon printers are not setup for that, my cartridges are small, a set cost about $28.00. The come black and color. I wished I had gotten the one that does larger sheets, if you can get that one I would. Best to have it when you need it than to wish you had it, like me. I think buying from Kopycake or FrostyKing (i think that's the name) will be better. Lets see what everyone else recommends. Good luck with your purchase.

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 1 May 2005 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 15

You dont have to buy the printer from kopykake. If you go on thier site they tell you what printers you can use and recommend. I bought the ip3000 because it was one that the recommend and was also one that they thought would be a better choice. I know a lot of people who have this model and use it for cakes and are very happy with it. The key to using the printer is making sure you print head stay clean and not clogged. I recommend buying cleaning cartrideges along with the ink and keep them in the print heads when not being used. You can buy your printing supplies from kopykake, but i buy mine from icingmagic.com. Buying a printer from kopykake will cost you more then what you need to spend.

gotcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gotcake Posted 2 May 2005 , 12:01am
post #4 of 15

I'm so excited for you! Lucky girl!

Here are 2 sites that give you an idea what Canon to buy including the wide format.

http://www.icingimages.com

http://www.tastyfotoart.com/edible_ink_printer.htm

You can also price the ink and paper on them. Enjoy icon_smile.gif

dragonwarlord1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonwarlord1969 Posted 2 May 2005 , 12:38am
post #5 of 15

I have the IP3000 but am too broke to get the cartridges for it. icon_cry.gif I got that one on ebay for $60 delivered. Everywhere else I look it's $100 plus S&H. That one came highly recommeded so I listened to the masses. thumbs_up.gif

Joe

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 2 May 2005 , 1:52am
post #6 of 15

I bought the ip1500 and have had great luck with it. I bought the ink from tastyfotoart.com. According to them...you don't need the cleaning cartiges with their ink. We'll see. You just need to make sure you turn you printer on every couple of days to keep the ink from clogging. Good Luck!!!

Missy

CarolAnn Posted 2 May 2005 , 3:40am
post #7 of 15

I've just spent almost two hours reading on the two links above. I think I'd definitely save by buying my printer at Office Depot and getting a starter kit online. Tastyfotoart sells wafer paper. Who uses that and do you like it? Seems like I heard rice paper doesn't meld with the icing and diappear like you want it to. I'm going to look at my Wilton class books and hope to find the name of the store in this area where my instructor gets her ink and paper. Thanks all!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 2 May 2005 , 5:22am
post #8 of 15

i bought a canon ip3000 and i love it! it prints great pictures. icon_lol.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 2 May 2005 , 2:11pm
post #9 of 15

I use a Canon i350...hard to find now but it's like the ip1500. If you're only going to be printing a few images a month, it's the way to go. If you're going to be printing a few a week, get the ip3000.

I buy all my ink and frosting sheets from www.kopykake.com They supply all the other vendors so I like to get it from the source.

Frosting sheets are best to use for putting pics on cakes. Wafer paper makes good leaves, wings, butterflies etc.

www.amazon.com is a great place to buy your printer from. Low prices and free ship.

Lisa Posted 2 May 2005 , 2:13pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

Also, Lisa was it you that made the scrabble board cake with message spelled out? I loved that cake! How'd you do it? I am soo intrigued! Speak up ladies and gents, I'm pretty excited about this!! I have to take a break and go breathe now......

Thanks! I used an edible image of a scrabble board. Then I downloaded a Scrabble Tile font and copy/pasted each letter in place.

CarolAnn Posted 2 May 2005 , 3:16pm
post #11 of 15

Lisa,
I've just been looking at all your cake pics again. I love your work! I'm looking for ideas for a 60th anniversary cake I'm making in June. Oh, that's next month!! LOL Do you mind if I ask where you got the scrabble board image and font? For that matter what program you use for your images etc? I want to replace the program I've been using as some of the discs don't work anymore for some reason. Thanks for any guidance here.

Lisa Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks!

I got the scrabble image off of a scrabble fansite. It was being used as a background. You could just take a pic of a scrabble board if you wanted to. The scrabble font I downloaded but can't find where now. There is this one though which would work... http://www.tnellen.com/ted/scrabble/pics/scmap.htm

To edit my images, I use a program called Photofiltre. It's free. You can download it here www.photofiltre.com

CarolAnn Posted 4 May 2005 , 1:33am
post #13 of 15

Lisa, Thank you soo much!! I took a look then bookmarked both sites for later when I have more time. I'll try a search on scrabble and see what I get. Thanks again!

Lisa Posted 4 May 2005 , 5:04am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

Lisa, Thank you soo much!! I took a look then bookmarked both sites for later when I have more time. I'll try a search on scrabble and see what I get. Thanks again!

You're welcome. I still have the scrabble board pic so if you need it just PM me and I'll email it to you.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 4 May 2005 , 5:10am
post #15 of 15

Carol, I thought you were going to buy that this week. Still can't make up your mind huh?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%