Decorating By ombaker Updated 24 Apr 2007 , 2:57pm by Janette

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:42pm
post #31 of 96

That will be a great cake!

ShanonR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanonR Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:44pm
post #32 of 96

I'm reading all this and I'm yet to see New Kids on the Block mentioned. Granted it was the late 80's but what is that decade without the New Kids on the Block......and yes I'll admit that I still have one of their CD's in my car today. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:44pm
post #33 of 96

Okay Frankie says "RELAX" - I loved that, also the very big hair. How fun for a Rubiks Cube - They do still sell them - I'd go get one for a model - have it all the same colors on each side or mixed up - Wasn't Risky Business in the 80's? "Are ya ready for me Ralph"

belindajax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belindajax Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:45pm
post #34 of 96

Don't forget hair bands and power ballads.

Flashdance and Footloose. I saw both of those in the movies when they came out.....oh...and Ferris Beuler's Day Off!!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:46pm
post #35 of 96

If she is 17 then she probably doesn't want something FROM the eighties! She probably wants a retro style. Like where you do the big round circles all over the cake. That is what my sister wants for her graduation cake. It is actually on this site and it IS a grad cake that is brown with pink (looks like O) circles all over and a pink grad hat.
You might want to clarify exactly what she wants!

belindajax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belindajax Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:48pm
post #36 of 96

Courtesy of my DH:

Michael J Fox become a huge star! Back to the Future

Crockett and Tubbs on Miami Vice and that whole look.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:48pm
post #37 of 96

I'm a SHOE FREAK and have wished a thousand times I had kept ALL my shoes from "bygone days"! I could sell them on ebay and my husband and I could retire and do mission work in South Africa for the REST OF OUR NATURAL LIVES! LOLL

Re: Fashion. The AWFUL polyester (orange, brown, cream diagonal stripes) and SCARVES for every outfit. THEEEYY'RE BAAACCCKK!

Beth in KY

PS This is a FUN thread! Thanks

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:51pm
post #38 of 96

Don't forget those t-shirts that were all over (at least on all the guys in Brooklyn)........"FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!"

Then of course "there was Springsteen, Madonna, way before Nirvana, there was U2, and Blondie, and music still on MTV......".

I really did love the 80's. My husband keeps telling me I'm a child of the 80's and I think I am. Let's see, I still love Huey Lewis & the News, and I'm very happy to hear Culture Club on the radio every now and again. I'm trying to think of anything that hasn't been mentioned yet. (oh, and as an aside, I never peeled my stickers off my Rubik's Cute. I know of people who did that and eventually they don't stick too well anymore. Nah, I took a screwdriver to get the first corner out and then took the rest of the cubes out by hand and then returned them to their proper order! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_cool.gif Oh, and I still have it - the original one from way back when even in its cylindrical case!).

sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:51pm
post #39 of 96

Don't forget about Flashdance with the sweatshirt hanging off the shoulder. Fame (Irene Cara and Debbie Allen)or sitcoms such as Punky Brewster, Silver Spoons or the Facts of Life. Then there is the music of Tiffany. Debbie Gibson, New Kids on the Block, Menudo, U2, Adam Ant, Bobby McFerrin and Don't worry Be Happy. I could go on and on. Man, where have my teenage years gone.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:52pm
post #40 of 96

Boy, a lot was added while I typed that!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 1:33pm
post #41 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Fraggle Rock!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Oh man that was my favorite show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Down in fraggle rock....down in fraggle rock........lol

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 1:56pm
post #43 of 96

Don't want to scare you but I also saw this one.

http://static.flickr.com/91/239008453_3bf2814ee2.jpg

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 2:10pm
post #44 of 96

WOW, all those Ideas are great. Now dont forget those v-neck shaped long sweater with the belt at the waist either worn with jeans or mini skirt. The big hair you guys mentioned of course. Oh yeah and I saw some of those coming back lately.... in some recent magazines... I want to run and hide!
I also remember the Polo shirts and OP(Ocean Pacific) outfits... There is so much more, I just cant remember in my old age.

Good Luck.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 2:12pm
post #45 of 96

My XM on AOL is Working For The Weekend as we speak!

And the big hair that everyone is talking about, two words - root perm!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 4:04pm
post #46 of 96

Did everybody forget the Bobby brown pants...the croch sagged to the knees icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 4:16pm
post #47 of 96

Yeah, Bobby Brown is in here somewhere.

And let's not forget Prince, Journey, The Motels, Metallica, Bruce Springsteen's Born In The USA, Toni Basil and her Mickey, The Waitresses, Don Johnson's attempt at becoming a pop star, Adam Ant's Goody Two Shoes, Aldo Nova's Fantasy (remember his leopard-skin tights?), and on Christmas Eve, 1984, Elmo and Patsy's Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer for the very first time.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 6:35pm
post #48 of 96

hehe, this will be a cool cakeicon_biggrin.gif

How big will it be?

You could do a rubik's cube from square cake and then put a round cake on top in the shape of Pac man, just cut out the mouth or make black or something...

maybe have a tie dyed theme in there somewhere if you have space...

LaSombra Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 6:36pm
post #49 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Did everybody forget the Bobby brown pants...the croch sagged to the knees icon_smile.gif

Wasn't that MC Hammer?

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 6:40pm
post #50 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSombra

Quote:

Wasn't that MC Hammer?

I think so and unless I'm wrong that was in the early 90s. I know that the year EVERYONE was wearing them was the fall after the first Gulf War, it was right before we left FT. Knox.

LaSombra Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 6:42pm
post #51 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSombra

Quote:

Wasn't that MC Hammer?

I think so and unless I'm wrong that was in the early 90s. I know that the year EVERYONE was wearing them was the fall after the first Gulf War, it was right before we left FT. Knox.

yeah, I was in 9th grade, I remember...and that would have been 90/91

JayKe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JayKe Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 9:32pm
post #52 of 96

If you want the ultimate style that represents the 80s, it would be from the movie "Ruthless People" - all the colors and wild shapes. It would be fun to pull together an abstract cake.

LaSombra Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 9:49pm
post #53 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKe

If you want the ultimate style that represents the 80s, it would be from the movie "Ruthless People" - all the colors and wild shapes. It would be fun to pull together an abstract cake.

hehe yes! I love that movie too. For a great laugh, watch this movieicon_biggrin.gif but yeah, the designer dresses and bette midler's furniture...The abstract cake idea is a good one thumbs_up.gif

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 10:05pm
post #54 of 96

not sure if anyone mentioned but what about
Boy George????
madhatter.gif

LaSombra Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 10:22pm
post #55 of 96

I just thought of a couple things:

Skate boards!

also Ghostbusters

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 10:28pm
post #56 of 96

Ya'll are scaring me!!! icon_eek.gif I've tried to suppress those memories (of course, most of them are a little fuzzy, anyway icon_lol.gif )

The big "bang" thing someone mentioned? We used to say that the higher the bangs stood up, the more in love the girl was!

LaSombra Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 10:31pm
post #57 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdcakes

Ya'll are scaring me!!! icon_eek.gif I've tried to suppress those memories (of course, most of them are a little fuzzy, anyway icon_lol.gif )

The big "bang" thing someone mentioned? We used to say that the higher the bangs stood up, the more in love the girl was!

I remember doing my bangs that way...stiff hold hairspray + blow dryer icon_lol.gif oh and the wings on the side done that way also icon_razz.gif

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 10:33pm
post #58 of 96

OMG who could ever forget the fiasco that was called "DISCO" or disco duck or big hair metal bands. or debbie gibson madonna blondie etc etc etc. dang i could on for a while. sheesh hehehehehe!!!!LOL
O DANG!!! forgot the most prominent n weird. THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW!!!!!!!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 11:10pm
post #59 of 96

I had on a hair band thing that was playing all the old music videos a few months ago and my 8 year old was dying laughing at the tight pants and makeup on the guys. icon_lol.gif

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 11:19pm
post #60 of 96

k, what is really really sad is seeing some 40 year old lady with her hair all teased n sprayed to death in that waterfall, fountain, need to put airplane warning signals hairdo........omg just makes you wanna stop what yer doin n roll on the floor laughin to the point of almost whizzin yer britches.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%