To Bril Or Not To Bril

Decorating By ajoycake Updated 13 Nov 2018 , 10:40pm by kakeladi

ajoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajoycake Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 22

I am going go divulge a very close kept secreat. I want to know if anyone else out there uses Bril vanilla light and fluffy ready to use frosting. I can hear the gasps of many cake decortors who may view this as cheating or as tasteless. icon_redface.gif I have used it for 3 years and have have had very good luck with, not to mention extreamly awesome taste and convience. I am a mom of a 3 and 5 year old, wife to a rather lazy husband and a full time Registered Nurse and this has been a time saver. The cost is not really a factor for me as I try to keep weddings to one per month. I love the stuff and want to know if others do to????? icon_biggrin.gif

21 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 22

I don't consider it cheating.....i (gasp) doctor up that frosting in can!

so where can I get this Bril?

(good thing I read title twice, at first glance I thought you were talking about Brill-o scouring pads!)

ajoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajoycake Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 22

I buy it from my local grocery store bakery dept. It comes in a 35 lb tub. Current price is 45 dollars for 35 lbs of ready to use goodness!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif You can get it from wholesaler restaurant surply store. I am releaved to hear one person who does not think i am a looser.
thanks thumbs_up.gif

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 22

I have not heard of Bril either but I say if it works well, tastes good and the cost is ok, why not?

When I want chocolate frosting, I often mix buttercream with melted chocolate in it with a can of Wilton's canned chocolate frosting. Everyone loves it.

C

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 22

I don't think you are a loser!! If it works for you, then do it. I have used the Brill Chocolate and Vanilla pourable fondants. They are AWESOME.

If all you have time for is decorating and that's what you love, then I say you don't have to make your own icing. Use a box mix & buy the icing. As long as it is fresh and tasty, I don't think most people care what you use.

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 8:42am
post #6 of 22

Wow. You can get it that cheaply? My boss gets on me because he says I go through it too fast at work and that it's $60 something a bucket! Oh wait...we use the Brill Old Fashioned Buttercream. Same thing though, just a different name I'm sure.

I just want you to know that I didn't mean to sound rude or anything earlier when I said I hate the stuff lol. I don't like the taste of a lot of icings and well, I'm just picky! icon_razz.gif I didn't want to come off as sounding like a snob either. I've never made my own ganache, I use the stuff from work. Have you ever tried Brill's Double Dutch Fudge icing? That stuff is soooo yummy and rich! Mmmmm

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 22

As long as the taste and texture work for you, then go for it! The art is in YOU. Artists use lots of different mediums .

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 1:34pm
post #8 of 22

I agree, if it works for you and especially your small amount of free time, then that sounds great!

I bought a big ol' tub of Dawns Buttercream thinking I would do the same thing, but then I hated the taste. Now I have this huge amount of frosting that I have to use up. I mostly only use it for FBCTs and I'm planning to do up a few dummy cakes for pictures that I will use it on. I'll have to check and see if my local supplier carries the Bril. I just wish I could taste it first!

I wouldn't worry about what anyone on this site thinks about what you use- we are not the ones paying for or consuming your cake. If your family/friends/customers are happy with what you offer, then that's what counts. Heck, I use Wal-Mart cake mix and doctor it up. (the crowd falls silent...) Everyone raves about my cakes because they are so moist and flavorful. And these mixes fit the time I have available, so that's great for me. icon_smile.gif Do what's great for YOU!

Happy baking,
Beth

edited to fix a typo

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 1:43pm
post #9 of 22

I've not heard of it. Does it crust on its own?

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 1:16am
post #10 of 22

I use Duncan Heinz...but I use Betty Crocker's pound cake (I couldn't find a Heinz pound cake mix)...icon_razz.gif

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 1:19am
post #11 of 22

I'm with Doug. . . where do you get this wonderful stuff!!?
Leslie

sugar-fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar-fairy Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 1:39am
post #12 of 22

We use the same at work and it's extremely popular with our customers. Normally I would scowl at ready-made frostings, but this brand of buttercream has an excellent non-greasy taste, develops a light crust and has the pure white color that a lot of brides demand. thumbs_up.gif

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 1:39am
post #13 of 22

Does anyone know if they have a website?

bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 2:07am
post #14 of 22

I think everyone should use what works for them. I recently started purchasing the large buckets of white buttercream from Sam's. Saves a lot of time and tastes pretty good. I do add a bit of almond and vanilla extract to it but so far everyone loves it. Costs about 27 dollars for 28 lbs.

1haleyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1haleyj Posted 11 Nov 2018 , 12:26am
post #15 of 22

I have used both in a pinch for time, don’t care for the taste of Sam’s Club brand.  I do have a question, though.  Does anyone else have a hard time smoothing the Brill or other brands of wholesale ready to use frosting. I get LOTS of little holes when smoothing.  Doesn’t happen when I make my own and drives me crazy.  Any suggestions?  I’m not mixing it at all.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2018 , 8:21pm
post #16 of 22

mix it first

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 8:01pm
post #17 of 22

I never used any kind of remade frosting, but I certainly don't think less of anyone for doing so.  Do whatever works for you and makes your customers happy!  I agree with -K8memphis, give it a good mix prior to using.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 8:32pm
post #18 of 22

and if you fill the bowl up to over the paddle -- it will eliminate the air bubbles -- in a perfect world --

also -- if you get a bunch of holes -- run your spatula back the other way and they will disappear

SandraSmiley Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 11:28pm
post #19 of 22

I agree that running the spatula back over the frosting eliminates most of the holes/bubbles.  Sometimes, when I have had frosting stored in the refrigerator, I bring it to room temperature and, being too lazy to put it in the mixer, I stir it lightly with a rubber scraper, turning it over on itself, sort of like folding in egg whites, and that helps smooth out the bubbles also.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2018 , 12:29am
post #20 of 22

yes that too -- and i have a friend who puts a bit of hot water in there and then stirs it up

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Nov 2018 , 12:41am
post #21 of 22

That is a great tip, -K8memphis.  I usually have mine a little too thick anyway.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Nov 2018 , 10:40pm
post #22 of 22

I used one tub of Bril yrs ago.  I went back to making my own.  I didn't like the taste but hate, Hate, HATE waste so instead of throwing it out I started mixing my homemade icing w/it until it was used up.   As the others said, it is easy to eleminate the bubbles by mixing it smooth.  If you have the time I suggest using the mixer (KA) on the slowest speed for 5 to 10 minutes.  That should do it.   If it is still a bit stiff and has bubbles do as K8 suggested....add a tablespoon or so of HOT water.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%