Turned Out Ok In The End

Decorating By kbochick Updated 18 Apr 2007 , 2:34pm by cakesonoccasion

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 23

So, I decided to do a practice cake this weekend, since I didn't have any for anybody else. I had seen quilled cakes on here lately, and thought they looked nice, so I decided to do one. Plus, I'm making the cake for my Great Grandma's 94th birthday when I go visit my family in May, so I wanted to see if that would be something to do for her cake. Then I thought I'd make it topsy turvey, because I wanted more TT practice. I also made the top tier all wavy on top, just 'cause I could.

DH had bought me some straws for doweling, but when I went to use them, I saw they were too darn flimsy for such a heavy cake. Of course, this was Sunday, after everything had closed, so I had to go with the scraps of wooden dowels that I had left. (I get the long dowels & just cut them) I didn't have enough to do my normal 5 on each level, so I had to just go with three. I had also made the cutout on the bottom tier way too big, so I had to fill in around the middle tier to make it fit. It also doesn't look right, since the TT illusion rests on the tiers fitting together properly.

All was going well, until I discovered that my middle tier was leaning horribly to one side, sinking into the bottom one. Ack! Had I let it go, it would have collapsed completely. So, I used the last bits of dowels I had to prop up the cake. As I was pushing the dowel through, my pushing thingy slipped, and I smashed the top layer of the cake almost in half. I wanted to cry.

Luckily, I was able to fix it, and cover up all of my boo boos with cornelli lace, scrolls, & butterflies. it survived the hour + drive to DH's work, and everybody loved it.

Phew!
LL

22 replies
TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 23

I wish I could do something like this... very nice job

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 23

If you'd never ADMITTED it....no one would ever know! GREAT JOB!

Beth in KY

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 23

Wow, it's beautiful.

I think we have to remember that no one sees our own flaws/trouble areas. What a great cake.

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 23

I think it looks great. I agree with bethola, never would have known.

casebit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casebit Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 23

Your cake looks great! How did you do the quills? That might be something I would like to try for my Mother's Day cakes!! Thanks!

casebit

Sandra80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandra80 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 23

gee, i wish i had cake disasters like this one, if this is considered a disaster, my god what does a good cake look like????

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:18am
post #8 of 23

Your ''disaster'' turned out fabulous!!! Love your quilling too!!!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:27am
post #9 of 23

Oh it's so good. I always look at the pic before I read the post, and all I thought was, oh gosh, It's so neat and pretty! I think it's great!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 3:15am
post #10 of 23

Wow, going by the end result noone would ever know you experienced any difficulties putting it together! It came out great!

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 3:26am
post #11 of 23

I love the cake-- especially the flowers & butterfly!! Is that what you mean by quills? I've never heard that term before-- anyway, like they said, nobody would ever know you had issues!!

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 3:28am
post #12 of 23

Beautiful cake. I love the flowers and butterfly.

Carrie211 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie211 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:51pm
post #13 of 23

I would have never been able to tell something was wrong. Good save!

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 4:44pm
post #14 of 23

Thanks guys. icon_smile.gif It did turn out alright, but it was my first cake to have a bunch of stuff go wrong, and it really stressed me out. i wasn't sure that it was even going to make it for the car ride, but it did, thank goodness.

I did discover that the fettuccine setting on my pasta roller works beautifully for making the fondant strips that I used for the quilling. I must say, though, quilling with paper is much easier!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 7:25pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis

I love the cake-- especially the flowers & butterfly!! Is that what you mean by quills? I've never heard that term before-- anyway, like they said, nobody would ever know you had issues!!

Elvis, the flowers, leaves and butterfly are all examples of quilling. It can be done with paper too and is sort of a type of fillagre or open design.

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 7:39pm
post #16 of 23

Your cake looks great!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 7:41pm
post #17 of 23

Thank you for explaining quilling. I loved the flowers like that but had no idea what it was called.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 7:41pm
post #18 of 23

Beautiful! Your resolve is better than mine, I would have put a fist thru it after the 3rd set back and had about a million cake balls.

Firstlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstlady Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 7:42pm
post #19 of 23

Awsome job!

ashley87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashley87 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 7:42pm
post #20 of 23

Very Good!!! I know that it always feels even better when you turn a disaster into a masterpiece!!!

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 7:50pm
post #21 of 23

I wish my cakes that weren't disasters looked that good!! Beautiful save!

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 1:35am
post #22 of 23

Yep it's your cake I was looking for! Thank You! Couldn't find it in your photos but looked up your postings.

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 2:34pm
post #23 of 23

awesome job!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%