Making 8" Cakes For My Neighbors...free Advertisment?

Decorating By melodyscakes Updated 4 May 2005 , 3:40am by LAA

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 15

i am just waiting for my cake to cook... i dont have any cake orders this week and am bored, so i thought i would make a few small round cakes and decorate them kinda basic with roses and give them to my neighbors just to let them know i "do" cakes. although i do not have a liscense at this moment....i will have to have a meeting down the road with them all for a special zone permit so i can get my liscense. anyway, i was wondering if you guys ever did this?
i thought i would just give them the cake and let them know i do cakes so they should call me for their special events. any thoughts?
you guys should do the same.....your not really advertising, your giving your neighbors a gift. also i have a couple of neighbors that just moved in and i havent met them yet.
i'll let you know how many orders i get, hahaha
melody

14 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 15

my husband keeps telling me to do the same thing. he want me to rent a booth at our base exchange and give free samples and also show pictures of my work. i'm not sure if i can, but giving them to neighbors sounds like great adverstisement to me!! icon_lol.gif

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyscakes

i am just waiting for my cake to cook... i dont have any cake orders this week and am bored, so i thought i would make a few small round cakes and decorate them kinda basic with roses and give them to my neighbors just to let them know i "do" cakes. although i do not have a liscense at this moment....i will have to have a meeting down the road with them all for a special zone permit so i can get my liscense. anyway, i was wondering if you guys ever did this?
i thought i would just give them the cake and let them know i do cakes so they should call me for their special events. any thoughts?
you guys should do the same.....your not really advertising, your giving your neighbors a gift. also i have a couple of neighbors that just moved in and i havent met them yet.
i'll let you know how many orders i get, hahaha
melody

Hi melody!
that is a great idea, i just did that last month.. although i havent gotten any orders yet. they loved it!!
a lot of the people are older too... icon_smile.gif... its a nice idea and they will just love it. The older couple i gave one too, they brought over a picture they took of it for me.. it was soo cute. they are old, so, i put their names with hearts on it.. lol!! they got a kick outta it

melodyscakes Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 15

last year i did a local craft show. i made decorated cookies and sold them and i also sold cute cupcakes and then i made a couple of cakes and decorated them. i passed out business cards to everyone that passed by (although after being on this and the wilton site have learned that your not supposed to pass out cards if your not liscensed...so i'll have to think of something else..............ohhhhhh what an idea.....i can make giant cakes shaped like in numbers that are my phone number, hahahha then i am not passing out cards. ) here you have a grey area to work in...with out a liscense you can sell your pies, cakes, cookies at craft shows
okay, you need to make small cakes to take to your neighbors....if they do not know what you do, they cant order from you.
melody

melodyscakes Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 15

okay, i made little 6 inch cakes, three cakes out of one mix and used my left over icing from my class. i took them to three niegbors and introduced myself and told them i make cakes and thought i would make one for them. (i also put my phone number on the cake, haha) they love it....and i got an order for a baby shower cake for next month!!!!!
i am doing a local craft fair next weekend, i think i am going to make my little 6" cakes and have them boxed up and see if people will buy mothers day cakes the day before mothers day. i think i'll only do 5-6 because it is a small craft fair. so, what would you charge for a small decorated 6" round with roses for mothers day? thanks for help!

get to baking for your neigbhors!!!
melody

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 15

Those are all cute ideas... I have one more... Take them to church! I started volunteering to makes for baby showers and wedding showers. Once everyone saw my cakes and liked them, the word was out and I do a couple cakes a week now.

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 15

heres another idea.........i did this for valentines day and will probably do it for mothers day tooo....

I call my regular customers and tell thell that Im picking up orders for mothers day and if they would like for me to reserve one for them.......

most people love to buy cakes for special occassions and put them to decorate their tables ...but i find that they usually just drop in the store and grab one this way they know that they dont have to worry about it .....

melodyscakes Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 3:35pm
post #8 of 15

thanks for ideas!!!!!
melody

Chrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrystal Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 15

they say word of mouth is the best.. IM sure if you give a few away and show pictures.. you'd get some orders... iI did that with my shop. Not cakes though.. I gave Party Trays and Big dinner platters away to local businesses. Now i have at least 15 trays a week that people are ordering.. i think its worth it! At least it was for me! Good Luck!

MindiBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MindiBrad Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 9:36pm
post #10 of 15

I've been giving my practice cakes away to the neighbors, but not so much as an advertisement....more to ensure that I do't eat the cake <grin>

But you guys just gave me a great idea.....we have our community garage sale on June 4th....a HUGE event and with more than 150 homes participating, we get quite a bit of traffic. Since I already plan on participating, maybe I will bake some demo cakes and lots of fun cupcakes. I can display the cakes with my new business cards (more on that to follow) and sell the cupcakes to the kids (gotta come up with some cute ideas!)

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 4 May 2005 , 1:28am
post #11 of 15

icon_wink.gif I did the same for my practice cakes, gave them away. I am truely amazed at how my neighbors love FREE cake!! I told them I do cakes..
Then when I did this new creation of my mom's day cake, I gave a couple of them to my neighbors and ended up with my phone ringing for 5 more cakes.
They asked me for business cards and since I don't have that, I just printed something small with my name and phone number and email address and gave that with the cake and box.
Can you all imagine if we ate all those practice cakes we make!!! Hmmm...
the world would be filled with so much of us sweetnees'es.......hehe......
Have a great day....... icon_cool.gif

Chrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrystal Posted 4 May 2005 , 1:32am
post #12 of 15

thats funny.. i am not a big sweets person.. like i can eat maybe a handful of chocolate chips a year..and im happy.. but my sister.. she can put away some icing lol.. I have an amazing Pumpkin Roll recipe and it has the Cream Cheese Filling... People rave over it lol.. And its good other times not just turkey dya lol..anyways..and every time i make those.. i have to make an extra batch of icing so my elder sister can eat it... lol..

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 4 May 2005 , 3:17am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystal

thats funny.. i am not a big sweets person.. like i can eat maybe a handful of chocolate chips a year..and im happy.. but my sister.. she can put away some icing lol.. I have an amazing Pumpkin Roll recipe and it has the Cream Cheese Filling... People rave over it lol.. And its good other times not just turkey dya lol..anyways..and every time i make those.. i have to make an extra batch of icing so my elder sister can eat it... lol..

I'm not at all sure what this has to do with making and giving away sample cakes or using them at craft fairs, etc., LOL, but everybody probably would like your recipe for the pumpkin roll and cream cheese filling, maybe you should submit it. Janice

LAA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LAA Posted 4 May 2005 , 3:39am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystal

I'm not at all sure what this has to do with making and giving away sample cakes or using them at craft fairs, etc., LOL, but everybody probably would like your recipe for the pumpkin roll and cream cheese filling, maybe you should submit it. Janice

LAA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LAA Posted 4 May 2005 , 3:40am
post #15 of 15

Sorry just trying to figure this out.

Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%