Cake Decorating Books

Decorating By rlm5150 Updated 19 Apr 2006 , 1:51pm by rlm5150

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 9

My husband is looking to get me some books for my bday and I would like some advice on the best books to get. I have heard many of you talk about Colette Peters, Silvia Wienstock, Nicholas Lodge and many others. But, judging by my pix and that I am still new at this, what are your recomendations. I would really love to hear from as many of you as possible to make the best choice. What would be the best beginners textbook?
T I A.
Tabby

8 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 9

A favorite of mine, that I refer to constantly is "Comprehensive Cake Decorating" by Vi Whittington. It's a soft covered book, only 52 pages long, but it holds a wealth of information. It starts with recipes for various icings, fondants, glazes, etc. It has cake charts for serving sizes, amounts of icing and batter you need for cakes. It shows many piping techniques, borders, flowers, writing tips, figure piping, lace making, pearls, marzipan figure making, airbrushing, edible images, curtain work, swags, bows. There is a chapter devoted to wedding cakes. The final chapter is gumpaste flowers.

Another more advanced book I adore, is The Whimsical Bakehouse. Gorgeous pictures and fabulous recipes. Alot of their cakes look rather difficult, but there are some that seem very do-able. Good luck!

rlm5150 Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks Crisseyann,
I will look into those both. I want two of the videos, also, that Wilton has on their web site but don't want to pay $20/each + at least $7 shipping. I look on Ebay and half.com before I make a major purchase to see if I can get it for a very good price. I will be looking for these later tonight.
Tabby

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 9

I don't have very many books but I have the Wilton way of decorating Vol. 3 and I love it. It was a lot of pictures cakes and instructions on how to do them. And it shows different uses of the tips in lots of different borders and things. It has recipes to but I haven't really looked at those.

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 9

I am just starting out as well so I borrow most of my books from the library. However I did recently buy a book called The Essential Gude To Cake Decorating, it was put out by Borders. I think it is a great starter book. It has several cake and icing recipes and also covers such subjects as gum paste flowers, modeling with fondant, royal icing, embroidery, lace and extension work. It also has casual dessert type cakes as well as celebration cakes. For a beginner book I don't think that you can beat the price 9.99.

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilykakes

I am just starting out as well so I borrow most of my books from the library. However I did recently buy a book called The Essential Gude To Cake Decorating, it was put out by Borders. I think it is a great starter book. It has several cake and icing recipes and also covers such subjects as gum paste flowers, modeling with fondant, royal icing, embroidery, lace and extension work. It also has casual dessert type cakes as well as celebration cakes. For a beginner book I don't think that you can beat the price 9.99.

I got this book to and a great one for $10at Borders. I also got a couple of the Wilton Wedding books on clearance at JoAnnes and Walmart. I have also gone to the library and looked at the ones they have. I am considering the Whimsical Bakehouse. I have been also looking at the web sites and if I am at the cake supply store I thumb through them there. Some of them are a bit spendy and I would rather get some supplies than a book. I am wishy washy that way. Now if someone wanted to but it for me, then I would pick a favorite, gotta have it one.

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 9

I would first purchase all 3 Wilton course books, and follow them page by page. Not sure if you took the course, but if you have the books, and are good at following directions, you won't have to take the class.

rlm5150 Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 9

I haven't taken any of the classes but I do have all three course books. They have been a big help. I have many books and magazines already but am looking for very decriptive books. I am still learning and want all the help I can get.
Thanks guys.
Tabby

rlm5150 Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 1:51pm
post #9 of 9

Well, I went to the library yesterday and checked out two books. Carol Deacon's The Complete Step-By-Step Guide to Cake Decorating (really like it-think I'm going to buy it) and Shalini Latour's The Icing On The Cake. Also pretty good.
Any more suggestions??
Tab

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%