Cheaper Substitutes For Supplies?

Decorating By rocketgirl96 Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 1:37am by PJ37

bejewelled Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bejewelled Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 2:31am
post #61 of 191

Our local cake decorating club had a meeting all about making tools. One member demostrated how you do not need to purchase expensive embossing mats or rolling pins (like the Wilton spiral one) for fondant icing. You can find all sorts of textured items around the house. Either press into or onto icing, or roll icing over it, using a regular rolling pin.
The green plastic pot scrubbers (the flat ones) make great designs.

Also on the playdoh toys, there are many sets that contain textured rolling pins or moulds, that if they were labelled as cake tools would be 5x the price. I check the playdoh sets regularly, they are always bringing out new ones.

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 2:39am
post #62 of 191

Oh, I forgot to mention...

If you are making a doll cake (particularly for family), use a Barbie or Barbie imitation, and undress the doll. Wrap body up to waist or so in saran wrap, use a small angel food cake pan, bake cake and one cupcake. You may need to carve it a little to shape it up, or add the cupcake (halved) to build it up to the waist. Insert doll in cake and decorate. Bring the doll clothes to the party and give the Barbie, the cake, and the clothes as a gift. The Barbie will be uniquely gift wrapped!

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:07am
post #63 of 191

Wow what a great thread here's something I like to do when I have a cookie bouquet with large or heavy cookies I prefer to use the wooden coffee sticks that are at the dollar store they are 80 for $1 for the long ones and I can cut them down to dif lenghts so I have different heights. I also cant live without my sponge roller (melvira method) I also found at a houselhold store these little measuring spoons for $2. (smidgen, pinch, dash) I use them for my spices and for my sprinkles as sometimes the reg spoon dosent fit in the bottle also I have better control when I'm sprinkling a small cookie or area. Also when I'm making individually wrapped cookies I buy a large post sized pice of cardboard from the dollar store to put behind the cookie for better support before I bag them and I can color coordinate the cardboard with my cookie theme.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:09am
post #64 of 191

OOOPs sorry that was poster sized cardboard that I can cut to match the size of my cookie lol for better support especially if I have to carry them far.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:15am
post #65 of 191

Well, I don´t know if this qualifies as a substitute but it sure is cheaper... I like to use dragees on my cakes and cookies, and they can be expensive, I believe a 4 oz bottle is about $10-20, well, I found a great lady on eBay that sells them really cheap. She also sells lollipop sticks and cello bags at great prices.

Here is a link

http://stores.ebay.com/C-C-Candies

I always check ebay for great deals and please, before you bid or buy now, check the feedback. I recommend CC Candies!

Hope this helps.

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:25pm
post #66 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

Well, I don´t know if this qualifies as a substitute but it sure is cheaper... I like to use dragees on my cakes and cookies, and they can be expensive, I believe a 4 oz bottle is about $10-20, well, I found a great lady on eBay that sells them really cheap. She also sells lollipop sticks and cello bags at great prices.

Here is a link

http://stores.ebay.com/C-C-Candies

I always check ebay for great deals and please, before you bid or buy now, check the feedback. I recommend CC Candies!

Hope this helps.

Thanks!!! After checking out her e-bay store, I will be ordering some items from her as well!!

auntiemcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiemcakes Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:14pm
post #67 of 191

I just wanted to add another thing that I tried for the first time last night and I love it!!! I used one of those plastic needlepoint grids and rolled it over my fondant sheet. It made the cutest texture!! I am going to use it for a lot of things. The sheet I bought is huge (2 feet by 3 feet or so) so I can use it to texture the whole cake if I wanted to without having to move it around. And the best part is that it came from Walmart and it was less than $2.00!!! It is awesome!

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:57pm
post #68 of 191

Someone already mentioned using casserole dishes to make different shapes cakes; I'm wondering if you can do that with oven safe bowls as well?

Accidently I figured out that a splatter screen works great for a sifter. I have a smaller one that is used for bowl sifting, and a huge one I put directly on top of the mixer bowl. I use them in the sink so any spill over goes right down the drain. Goes pretty fast too.

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 4:56pm
post #69 of 191

After paying small fortunes for books and shipping on Ebay, I remembered half.com and Amazon used books. They don't always have what you want-but their prices are usually pretty good. It's a great way for us beginners to catch up.

CakeL8T Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeL8T Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 6:52pm
post #70 of 191

I love threads like this one!! Ok, here's my tip....
Instead of buying the expensive "Make Your Own Molds" stuff from the cake vendors go to Hobby Lobby with your 40% off coupon and get the Amazing Molding Putty. It's in the clay aisle. You can make a mold of anything, buttons, pins, earrings, etc... I've found myself wondering around my house going"What can I make a mold of to use on a cake"!! Also, these molds last for a long time, I have one that's 2 yr old and it's like I made it yesterday.
Also, while you're in the clay aisle get one of their very inexpensive ($5-$7)clay extruders. Their silver and come with several different disks to make different shapes from.
Happy Decorating
Carrie

umfalcon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umfalcon Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 12:07am
post #71 of 191

this thread needs to go on forever. How can this become permenant?

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 12:11am
post #72 of 191

Carrie, I bought one of those clay extracter guns and they are almost impossible to extract any fondant from them. I was hoping it would work out so I wouldn't have to buy a larger clay gun but it didn't work. I've been using the playdough thingy.

Julie

Natt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natt Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:36am
post #73 of 191

What do you use a clay gun or extracter for?

Natt

Aunksunamun13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aunksunamun13 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:47am
post #74 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by darandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunksunamun13

Im lovin this thread too !!!

I think the tuna can is a great idea....im going to have to try that one for the ppl at work (my testers) !!!

I've made individual pineapple upside down cakes in tuna cans. I found out about doing it that way from a Girl Scout cookbook.

Interesting !!! My grandma is a member of a church something(lol) and they often have bake sales. We made pineapple upside down cakes once and they sold like hot cakes. I think I am going to have to try them in tuna cans! Thanks for the tip !!

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:01am
post #75 of 191

I read a tip on here somewhere that the Dollar Tree had paper embossers that were used for scrapbooking. The tip said that you could take the rollers out of the little tool and use the rollers like a mini rolling pin for embossing fondant. I picked up a few and they are only $1 each. They have lots of different designs.

Thanks to the person on CC who posted this idea orginally. I'm just passing it along icon_biggrin.gif

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:05am
post #76 of 191
jdelectables Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:06am
post #77 of 191

you use the clay gun for fondant ropes - used for hair on figures, trim, borders for cakes, etc.

CakeL8T Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeL8T Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:10am
post #78 of 191

I can't use the Wilton fondant, it's too tough, but the Satin Ice fondant works great!! It's more pliable than some of them out there!!
Carrie

glad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glad Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:14am
post #79 of 191

This thread is great! Thank you for starting this. I used disposal chopstick as dowels for my tier cakes. At times I cut out styrofoam to the desire shape (cover it with alum foil) and use it as my cake board. Use cookie cutter to cut out fondant shape.

I'm interested on play dough extruder, can someone please post a picture of it? Thanks.

jdelectables Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:15am
post #80 of 191

I use MMF

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:19am
post #81 of 191

This is a great post. Thanks for all the ideas.
All of your suggestions are great for items we already have in the kitchen - kind of double usage tools, the kind that Alton Brown would be proud of!

When I took my fondant class, my teacher suggested we use an onion bag around your rolling pin for a different pattern. They are great, you can wash them, cut them and stretch them.

Good Luck

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:25am
post #82 of 191

Instead of Bake-Even Strips, I have always cut strips of old (clean) bathtowels and then dampen them and use a large safety pin to fasten them around my cake pans. Always works great and if they get frayed, just cut up another old towel.

Confectionary2 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 10:08am
post #83 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natt

Natt

Playing with fondant!!!

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 1:27pm
post #84 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natt

Natt

If you make figures out of fondant they need hair and you can make hair this way instead of molding a wig.
Mary icon_smile.gif

oilili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oilili Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:51pm
post #85 of 191

I have had lots of trouble in finding cream of tartar here in France and now that I know where to get it from, it costs a fortune. One of the shops I know charges as much as 15$ for 100g!!

I've been told to use a few drops of lemon or white vineger instead. Can anyone confirm this information?

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:17pm
post #86 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilili

I have had lots of trouble in finding cream of tartar here in France and now that I know where to get it from, it costs a fortune. One of the shops I know charges as much as 15$ for 100g!!

I've been told to use a few drops of lemon or white vineger instead. Can anyone confirm this information?

I found this info at a web site called cooking america. "The answer is, there is not a good substitution. If cream of tartar is used along with baking soda in a cake or cookie recipe, omit both and use baking powder instead. If it calls for baking soda and cream of tarter, I would just use baking powder.

Normally, when cream of tartar is used in a cookie, it is used together with baking soda. The two of them combined work like double-acting baking powder. When substituting for cream of tartar, you must also substitute for the baking soda. If your recipe calls for baking soda and cream of tarter, I would just use baking powder.

One teaspoon baking powder is equivalent to 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 5/8 teaspoon cream of tartar. If there is additional baking soda that does not fit into the equation, simply add it to the batter."

I hope this helps.

Confectionary2 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 4:17pm
post #87 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilili

http://www.amazon.com/Cream-Tartar-Tartaric-Acid-Bulk/dp/B0000DDicon_eek.gif7

this is 16oz (453.5g) for $10.90!!! However, I don't know about the shipping cost. HTH!

Ok....it looks like shipping is $4.49 and a little over two additional dollars for each additional item that you order.

oilili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oilili Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 8:52am
post #88 of 191

Thanks for the answers.
I wanted cream of tartar for the buttercream recipe I found on this site. It does not take baking powder.
I presume I will have to handle the ridiculous cost of buying this over here. icon_cry.gif

auntiemcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiemcakes Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 8:59pm
post #89 of 191

you might try using meringue powder instead if it is cheaper ( I can't imagine that it is!) I believe that it has cream of tarter in it. Maybe it would serve the same purpose. Not sure!?!?!? Good luck.

bethyboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyboop Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 2:39am
post #90 of 191

at price chopper, a local grocery store, there is a "egg white" powder in a can which looks similar to meringue powder. Does anyone know if it is the same thing?

Beth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%