Character Cakes - Anyone Sell Them?

Decorating By midwestmom Updated 30 Apr 2005 , 2:46pm by Fruitloop

midwestmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmom Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 6:27am
post #1 of 12

I've only made four and they've turned out great. We were all shocked icon_smile.gif
And I've heard from family that I should try selling some. But I just don't see how in the world the money would be worth my time. I've spent 4 or more hours just decorating one of them!! I've spent 2 or more hours just making and coloring all that icing. Does anyone do character cakes and make money ? How much do you charge for them? Any more info? Thanks icon_smile.gif

11 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 6:53am
post #2 of 12

I cant say I sell them but I do make them.... as I have always said, I will make them, but the person I am making it for either pays me back for the ingredients, gives me the character pan, or they buy everything and give it to me....

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 7:33am
post #3 of 12

I recently did one for a neighbor. I used Cali4dawn's pricing matrix. I had to change some of the prices of thing(eggs, etc). It even included her price per hour. Based on her calculations, I should have sold it for about $19. But after I figured in some of the price changes I came up with a little over $15. So I charged $15 for that one. It was really easy. I always keep BC around for practice cakes, so I didn't have to include the time for mixing that up. Hope this helps. Tanya

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 8:00am
post #4 of 12

Thats funny...i waswondering the same thing i had a posting about liscensed cakes(character cakes) you should read it alot of people had a lot of interesting things to say

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 12

I decorate and sell character cakes all the time...hence my ID name!! I live in Canada so the pricing may seem more to you but our CAD dollar is worth less than the US dollar.I charge $35.00 for my character cakes.That would be equivalent to about $28.00 US.It takes me about 1 1/2 hours to decorate and I always tint my colors the day before.I base my prices on the going rate for simple slab cakes at the grocery store and then add for my expertise and time.I have never had a problem getting these prices for my cakes and I actually charge a bit more for the characters that take longer to do and require alot of colors like ...Ariel!!

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 12

If they're not licensed pans, I charge $45 as I make them double and filled with their chosen filling. I live in the tri-state area and here cakes are expensive.

On the other hand, I use licensed pans only for my relatives and grandchildren.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 12

you actually fill character cakes!! icon_eek.gif do you freeze them first?? you don't have any problem with it breaking??
oh-licensed character cakes are illegal to sell, but how in the world are these companies going to go after every person who sells them??!! icon_confused.gif

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 1:25pm
post #8 of 12

why do they sell the pans then if they don't want ppl who make cakes to sell them?????

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 4:06pm
post #9 of 12

I agree with both of you, this is bureaucracy at works!! Yes, I fill the character cakes. I make two cakes and freeze them for one night. Following day, fill the bottom one the same way you'll do with any cake then place the other cake on top. Then crumb-coat them and back to the freezer with them (no fresh fruits, please!) Take them out the day they'll be decorated. Because these cakes come out so high, I always dowell them as one time I had an accident with one of them where the cake on top slided to the side and the whole decoration got messed up! even the filling was exposed. GRRRR!!! HTH!!1

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 2:24am
post #10 of 12

I only have one character pan... a fireman!! I had to have it!! icon_lol.gif I do not like doing all those stars. Too time consuming!! You can do a transfer on a cake a whole lot easier & not take so much time doing it. Ya'll who do it must be patient people thumbs_up.gif

Chrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrystal Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 2:43am
post #11 of 12

theres a bakery in my town who sells character cakes.. and i know some of them are licensed... i wonder if they know its illegal?? they get big money for them.. I saw a Barbie cake the other day at a bakery it was 3-d literally it was barbies head.. all the way around.. It was amazing work.. But she was selling it for 150$... i kinda laughed.. but it took some time!!

Fruitloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fruitloop Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 2:46pm
post #12 of 12

I've done character cakes as well. I have a My Little Pony cake to do for next week. I sell my small ones (servinging 10 - 15 people) for $35. I keep my prices under the bakery I use to work at. They would sell a character cake that size for around $45- $50 CND.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%