Standing Barbie Cake

Decorating By tachita5005 Updated 9 Jan 2006 , 9:54pm by obrien64

tachita5005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tachita5005 Posted 24 Sep 2004 , 3:33am
post #1 of 12

icon_smile.gif
hi,
i am wondering if i can get help with a barbie cake. I need to reproduce a barbie with a white and pink dress, for next sunday. I am wondering if fondant is the way to go, since it resembles fabric so much better, or would a good crusting icing also give me the same effect. I need some desperate help icon_cry.gif , since is my first attemp at this. I would eternally appreciate it

Thanks
Nathalie icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

11 replies
Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 24 Sep 2004 , 5:10am
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachita5005

icon_smile.gif
hi,
i am wondering if i can get help with a barbie cake. I need to reproduce a barbie with a white and pink dress, for next sunday. I am wondering if fondant is the way to go, since it resembles fabric so much better, or would a good crusting icing also give me the same effect. I need some desperate help icon_cry.gif , since is my first attemp at this. I would eternally appreciate it

Thanks
Nathalie icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

There are some really good step-by-step instructions on the Wilton Wonder-mold Pan insert:
You can find it here:
http://cakecentral.com/wilton-pan-instructions-164-Wonder-Mold-Pan-2105-565.html

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 24 Sep 2004 , 6:41am
post #3 of 12

No matter how hard I try, I can never get the hair to look nice.

labrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labrat Posted 4 Oct 2004 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 12

The hair is too sparse to do much with on the picks...Many people use real barbies, then the birthday girl has a keepsake too. The instructions I was sent involve wrapping the Barbie from the waist down in saran, then twisting her gently into the cake while it is still warm - to reduce chances of cracking the whole cake - then filling the larger hole from her hips with med-stiff buttercream. The Barbie is taller than the Wonder Mold pan, so the instructions also said to put a 9" round under it (the skirt will appear longer) or to use a square or sheet cake under the Barbie cake. I haven't used a real Barbie yet, but I intent to for my daughter's next birthday.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 4 Oct 2004 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 12

Barbie Cakes
The Wondermold isn't deep enough on its own for a Barbie cake, so you need an extra layer or two of cake underneath so that Barbie can go inside the cake and the cake starts at her waist. I use petal pans. A 9 inch and sometimes a larger one - up to the 15 inch size. Of course you can do it with the round or even place the Wondermold - on a dowelled sheet cake.
First of all, the top of the extra layer or layers of cake has to be iced. Also fill if you are using more than one layer as your bottom cake that the Wondermold will sit on.
I found a great way of keeping Barbie clean and also coring the cake and keeping her enclosed and stable. An empty paper towel roll - well two actually. You are best off boarding the Wondermold and also using a strong cake base for the whole cake. So you mark the centre of the underneath of the double covered boards that the Wondermold will sit on, I places them covered sides out and glue gun the two together. Then I cut a hole large enough for a paper towel inner tube to fit through. So you work the paper towel cardboard roll straight up through the bottom or underneath side of the boarded Wondermold cake and then remove. This will core your cake. Alternately, you can just fill with icing between the Wondermold cake and the additional layer, no boards and core from the top down. I have found that this works well, undowelled too. It just makes the cakes slices a little more awkward because of the height of them. Ok, so if you boarded the Wondermold, and now you have cored it, you also need to core the layer cake this is sitting on. So you centre a board the same size as the boarded cake on the lower cake and mark off the centre of the lower cake, then core the centreagain using the paper towel roll. You will want to put 5 dowels in the centre of the marked area on the lower cake around the cored hole. Place some icing sugar in the area where the Wondermold will sit on the lower cake. So now you place the cored Wondermold cake over the dowelled lower cake and line up the holes. So now you are going to take a fresh paper towel inner cardboard tube. Insert Barbie so that the tube starts at her waist - it is a tight fit - Barbie's hip's will make it a really tight fit. So You check to see if the paper towel roll when inserted with the Barbie, will be too long for the height of your lower cake and the Wondermold combined, and you slice off the correct amount from the bottom of the paper towel roll. Now cover the roll with foil or plastic wrap and reinsert the Barbie up to her waist. If the height of your combined lower levels and the Wondermold, will be much more than the enclosed Barbie in the paper towel roll, then you will want to also place a dowel inside of the enclosed Barbie/roll so that you have a centre dowel that goes though all of the layers to the bottom . Otherwise the Barbie in the roll acts as your centre dowel. So now you are ready to decorate.
I transport these doll cakes using a moving box. I cut the front flap all the way down. Then I completely line the box with foil and tape it well. I line the botom with that rubbery shelf liner that stops any movement - I get it from the Dollar Store. You can cut off the top flaps if the box is high enough to enclose Barbie or tape them all up in a vertical position. So you tape the front flap back in place. Then I take another piece of foil and tape it in place over the top of the opened box. When deliverd, a utility knife is used to cut the front flap that was taped, open.
http://cakes.r-bdesigns.com/forum/index.php
I posted the above instructions for my method on the above site where I also posted pictures of a couple of Barbie Cakes. The above site is the site of a Wilton forums member.
These doll cakes are equally nice when decorated with a larger star type tip. I make about 10 lines using a larger round tip - say a 10 or 12, make lines all around the cake and then over-pipe with a star tip. This will give the appearance of the folds or scallops - the way a dress normally falls when it has a full skirt.
Hope that helps,
Hugs, Squirrelly Cakes

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 4 Oct 2004 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks, Squirrelly Cakes! Great detail there!!

As for the hair, I was talking about a real Barbie. I've never tried a Barbie pic. I figured if I can't style the real thing, I'm too afraid to try a pic! LOL!!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 4 Oct 2004 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 12

You know, it must vary from Barbie to Barbie. We found some of the doll's hair pretty good for styling. So I guess not all Barbies are created equal.
Hugs, Squirrelly Cakes

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 4 Oct 2004 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 12

At any rate,

Please let us know how it turns out! icon_smile.gif

tachita5005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tachita5005 Posted 5 Oct 2004 , 2:35am
post #9 of 12

icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gifthumbs_up.gif
Hi all of you,

I finally made my first barbie cake and i use the wilton mold and doll pic, I also used the marshmallow recipe. It looked beautiful, except for the hair. It is so hard to style this doll's hair. I ended up stitching it up with a little bow.

I will try to load up the picture as soon as i get my camera back from the party.

Anyways, Thanks so much.

P.s. How much would a barbie cake cost (in canadian dollars, if possible)

SquirrellyCakes Posted 5 Oct 2004 , 2:51am
post #10 of 12

Glad it went well for you. Can't help you on prices as I use the Barbie doll and add on extra layers to accomodate her size. Hopefully somebody else can help with that. Looking forward to seeing the cake.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 5 Oct 2004 , 5:11pm
post #11 of 12

I'm so glad you got it done and that you are pleased with it.

As for the money conversion, here is a great site that is kept up to date. I use it constantly to convert pounds to dollars. Click on the link and then scroll down to the bottom for the currency converter. It does the math for you in a split second.

http://www.xe.com/

Can't wait to see the picture!!

obrien64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obrien64 Posted 9 Jan 2006 , 9:54pm
post #12 of 12

I am attempting to making individual barbie cakes using mini bundt cake pans and the small polly pocket sized barbies. Has anyone tried this before? and more importantly did it work. My 4 year old daughter really really wants a barbie cake but her twin brother isn't so keen on the idea he wants Bob the Builder. Instead of making two large cakes I thought this might just work for my daughter.
Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%