Satin Ice Fondant

Decorating By markbolin Updated 19 May 2007 , 6:10am by alibugs

markbolin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markbolin Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 29

Im not ready to chance making my own fondant. I have seen satin ice brand fondant on several cake supply websites. does anyone have any reviews on it ( taste workability etc..) before i order it?

28 replies
missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:01am
post #2 of 29

LOVE IT!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif It tastes good and it works well. The only complaint that I have is that it is a little soft, but it is not enough to deter me from spending lots of money on it! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:06am
post #3 of 29

mmm mmm good. the best type i've worked with. rolls thin, velvety smooth, tastes consistent. PRE MADE!!!! buy in bulk and you get a great deal! www.intotheoven.com 49.95 for 20lbs and shipping is fast and cheap. www.satinfinefoods.com look at handling instructions for helpful info on how much you'll use. enjoy!

Mnhreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mnhreams Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 1:07am
post #4 of 29

How many pounds does it take to cover a 3 tiered cake? I often wonder if the cost outways the end product because it is so expensive.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 1:14am
post #5 of 29

I dont love it, but I do like it....and I would eat it on a cake. thumbs_up.gif

missyek Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:21am
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnhreams

How many pounds does it take to cover a 3 tiered cake? I often wonder if the cost outways the end product because it is so expensive.

Depends on the size of the tiers for one and then also depends if you buy in bulk and from where. This site has a great chart for how much is needed for different sized cakes: http://www.thebakerskitchen.com/CAKE_SHOPPE/Fondant_Gumpaste_%20Accessories/Rolled_Fondant_Icing/Rolled_Fondant_Quantity_Chart/rolled_fondant_quantity_chart.htm

And I buy 20lb tubs from Pfeil & Holing

To me the befefits of buying and not fussing with MMF outweigh the issues of cost. That is just me. I'm lazy! icon_wink.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:41am
post #7 of 29

Its my fave!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:48am
post #8 of 29

Love it. It has a nice flavor, easy to color and work with.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:53am
post #9 of 29

Love it. Has a nice beat. Easy to dance to.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 3:32am
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyek

Quote:

To me the befefits of buying and not fussing with MMF outweigh the issues of cost. That is just me. I'm lazy! icon_wink.gif

ditto, except i am not lazy icon_wink.gif i am just busy- i have better things to do with my time, like read a book to my kids or vacuum the floor, walk the dog, take a shower etc...!

last time i paid attention to how much it would cover, i did a five tier square (squares take more than rounds) wedding cake 4-6-8-10-12 plus large base, a 4-6 round, a 10 square and ...hmm...maybe one other small project. it really does go far and my cakes ares usually at least four inches tall i do roll it thin though -between 1/4 and 1/8" thickness. www.satinfinefoods.com has a tab called handling instructions, there it will also give you a chart showing how many ounces you need per cake size/shape.

missyek Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 11:39am
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyek

Quote:

ditto, except i am not lazy icon_wink.gif i am just busy- i have better things to do with my time, like read a book to my kids or vacuum the floor, walk the dog, take a shower etc...!

last time i paid attention to how much it would cover, i did a five tier square (squares take more than rounds) wedding cake 4-6-8-10-12 plus large base, a 4-6 round, a 10 square and ...hmm...maybe one other small project. it really does go far and my cakes ares usually at least four inches tall i do roll it thin though -between 1/4 and 1/8" thickness. www.satinfinefoods.com has a tab called handling instructions, there it will also give you a chart showing how many ounces you need per cake size/shape.

Well, okay, you got me, I'm not lazy I guess, it is being busy too. Three kids, full-time job, teaching two nights a week and then squeezing in all the extras for those, then trying to find time to do cakes. icon_wink.gif

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 11:56am
post #12 of 29

missyek,

I don't think anyone could call you lazy when you are a cake decorator. Lazy people buy Walmart cakes! I would call YOU an efficiency expert! icon_biggrin.gif

BaBa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BaBa Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 11:56am
post #13 of 29

I have tried the Satin Ice, but prefer to use Pettinice.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:03pm
post #14 of 29

Missy, I was going to comment that just by looking at your gallery I could tell you weren't lazy. Now, at least you wrote the truth - there's a difference between being lazy and busy. I know (I'm lazy). I just ordered some Pettinice that I haven't tried yet, but heard was very good. I'm a stay at home mom and usually make MMF, but was looking for something quicker. lol

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:03pm
post #15 of 29

I have tried about every brand of fondant known to man.....and must say I didn't care for the taste of any of them (disappointed), HOWEVER, if I had to choose one it would be Satin Ice. It's extremely easy to work with and color....and you can roll it VERY thin! It tastes ok...edible.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:37pm
post #16 of 29

I love Satin Ice. I use it on cookies (I don't do cakes...yet). I have to hide my cookies from my diabetic FIL!

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 1:51pm
post #17 of 29

Sooooo Yummy!!! Love it!!! icon_smile.gif

markbolin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markbolin Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:21pm
post #18 of 29

Thanks! I think i will buy some.

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 7:29pm
post #19 of 29

Satin Ice is all I've used. The wilton fondant that I used for my class was just so nasty that I decided to try the Satin Ice. No going back now!
It works great and tastes great!

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 7:43pm
post #20 of 29

Satin Ice is my favorite. I just recently bought Chocopan but, haven't tried it yet. I know a lot of others on CC use FondX. For me, Satin Ice is easier to work with.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:02am
post #21 of 29

Satin Ice is great, but I am looking forward to trying SophieBelle's Jello Fondant. At the moment I only use Satin Ice.

smcintosh2801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smcintosh2801 Posted 19 May 2007 , 4:59am
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

mmm mmm good. the best type i've worked with. rolls thin, velvety smooth, tastes consistent. PRE MADE!!!! buy in bulk and you get a great deal! www.intotheoven.com 49.95 for 20lbs and shipping is fast and cheap. www.satinfinefoods.com look at handling instructions for helpful info on how much you'll use. enjoy!

Thanks for the info on that site! That's the cheapest price I 've seen for 20lbs of Satin Ice!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 19 May 2007 , 5:12am
post #23 of 29

I'm a FondX fan myself but Satin Ice isn't that bad.

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 19 May 2007 , 5:44am
post #24 of 29

I use Pettinice. It is nice. Not to soft and a nice flavor.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 19 May 2007 , 5:50am
post #25 of 29

JoanneK-What makes you prefer FondX to Satin Ice? I've only used FondX, which I like, but I want to try Satin Ice. I'd appreciate your input.

alibugs-Pettinice is the only fondant to ever make me cry. icon_cry.gif I had the worst time working with it! I could not get it to go on the cake without tearing--I was up all night covering a wedding cake that should have been done by 11pm. icon_sad.gif I wonder if I got a bad batch.

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 19 May 2007 , 5:55am
post #26 of 29

I was thinking about buying some Satin Ice and after reading what everyone has to say, I think I will, but, I was curious...does anyone here ever make their own fondant in a pinch? Aside from MMF do you have a favorite? I made Toba Garrett's fondant and did not care for the texture and wanted to know if you prefer one over the other, especially for ease of use and smoothnes when covering a cake.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 19 May 2007 , 5:58am
post #27 of 29

I've made Colette Peters' recipe quite a few times. It's a little labor intensive to make, and really, really hard to knead, but I love the look of it on a cake. It's stiffer than the commercial fondants I've used, which for me makes it a little easier to put on the cake without tearing or cracking. The flavor is OK--just sugary--but nothing special.

alibugs Posted 19 May 2007 , 6:07am
post #28 of 29

Holly what do you use with your fondant to roll?

alibugs Posted 19 May 2007 , 6:10am
post #29 of 29

You can get a free sample for Satin Ice. I haven't called yet, but I'm going to. There is a free sample on here somewhere from a store in Hawaii. Let me find it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%