Best Way To Make Strawberries?

Decorating By cookinnut Updated 8 Apr 2006 , 2:47pm by spottydog

cookinnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinnut Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 1:31am
post #1 of 13

I'm going to be making cupcakes for by daughters 2nd b-day and I was going with the whole Strawbwerry Shortcake type theme. Anyone have any good suggestions on how to make strawberries? I was thinking about making them in advance (BC) and letting them dry so the kids could pull them off and munch on them. Thanks alot!!

12 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 2:19am
post #2 of 13

*bump*

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 2:21am
post #3 of 13

Do you mean out of royal, color flow or chocolate?

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 2:21am
post #4 of 13

ok- dumb question- what does bump mean?

ASupergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASupergirl Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 2:26am
post #5 of 13

It just moves the thread back up onto the main page so people can see it more and respond to it rather than people searching for it through the forums. You can put bump in any thread if you want results or answer fast.

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 3:23am
post #6 of 13

I made mine with candy red candy melts and corn syrup (molding chocolate) after you form them roll them on the smallest holes of a grater to add texture. You can also darken the red with red powder coloring and a little lemon extract when dry paint with a mixture of 1 tbsp of meringue powder to 2tbsp hot water brushing lightly so color doesnt come off. then make green calyxes. In my photos its the cake with the ants.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 3:47am
post #7 of 13

If You look in my pictures, I did a strawberry cake. I made the strawberrys out of fondant and stuck them on the sides of the cake, but I think I would look super cute if you put on on the top of each cupcake. They aren't 3-d if that's what you're looking for, but it would look nice.

TJSCAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJSCAKES Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 4:29am
post #8 of 13

I just did a Strawberry Shortcake themed cake for my dd and I made strawberries out of Marshmallow fondant. They were really easy. I just used a heart shaped cookie cutter and then reshaped it a little. Then I used a toothpick to make little dents all over.....

cakesbgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbgood Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 4:32am
post #9 of 13

Someone just posted one, the strawberries were done with royal icing.

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 9:41am
post #10 of 13

Hi, I'm not totally for sure what you're looking for, but if you didn't want to go the icing route, I found 2 recipes for candy strawberries. These would be good because you could probably make them ahead of time. Hope these help you out some.

Chocolate Marzipan Strawberries

1 (8-ounce) can almond paste
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup marshmallow creme
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon HERSHEY'S Cocoa
Few drops red food color
Few drops green food color

Cover tray with wax paper.
In medium bowl, crumble almond paste into small pieces. With heavy spoon, beat in corn syrup and marshmallow creme.
In small bowl, stir together powdered sugar and cocoa; gradually knead into almond paste mixture until smooth. Cover to keep moist for shaping.
Reserve 1/4 cup dough; shape remaining dough into strawberries. Roll over grater to make textured surface.
Using fine brush, tint berries with red food color diluted with water; place on prepared tray.
Using lightly cornstarch-dusted cutting board, roll reserved dough 1/8-inch thick; cut tiny stars for each berry.
Using fine brush, tint stars with green food color diluted with water; press onto large end of each berry. Let dry on tray.
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen candies.

Candy Strawberries

1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 (3 ounce) packages strawberry gelatin mix
1 1/2 cups ground pecans
1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla
red decorator sugar
blanched almonds, sliced
green food coloring

Makes about 20-24 Strawberries depending on size

Combine gelatin, pecans, coconut, milk& vanilla, mix well.
Shape into strawberries.
Roll in red sugar.
Tint almonds green, use for stems.
LL

cakesbgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbgood Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 1:25pm
post #11 of 13

Those look pretty good, I might have to try those myself icon_biggrin.gif

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 2:41pm
post #12 of 13

I was going to contribute the same recipe above - the "candy strawberries." They are absolutely delicious, and if you shape them right...they look very real.

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 2:47pm
post #13 of 13

I just did a strawberry theme cake. made mine with chocolate molding clay. Used red candy melts & cornsurup.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%