Rose Help

Decorating By jdavis22 Updated 10 Apr 2007 , 2:37am by CAKESHERWAY

jdavis22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdavis22 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 11

I have been practicing and practicing the wilton rose, and I'm still having issues. I make the wilton recipe of buttercream stiff icing. It feels like a good stiff consistency. But when I go to make my base, my base seems not so stiff. And when I do my wrap around, it usually leans my base to one side. BUT then when I start doing my petals, the edges are all tattered and etchy looking, which typically means the icing is too stiff. But if I thin it down, I don't know how my base would hold up. Can someone please help me?????????? I'm desperate to make a decent looking rose.

Many thanks,
Jenni

10 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 11

I had this exact problem. I now use a Hershey's kiss for my base - works great, no drooping, don't have to swith bags/tips, and people are usually pleasantly surprised to find a bit of chocolate in the middle of their rose.

I too found that my edges were ragged. I use more of a medium consistency icing which works fine because I no longer have to worry about the base. You can also try adding some piping gel to your icing - I found that helps smooth it out (works great to add to your icing for leaves too - you get nice points, not broken leaf tips). HTH!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks for the tip! I still am not very good at BC roses, but I'd like to get better and can use all the help I can get!

jdavis22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdavis22 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you so much!! I will try these tips.

Jenni

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks - same problem! I'll try adding the Karo or piping gel for the roses; I know it helps the leaves. PAT

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 11

Just a thought... you might be beating your frosting to much and it might have too much air in it which would give it a dry edge look..

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 10:57pm
post #7 of 11

I am not great at roses and I had the same problem as you. I do mine in medium stiffness. First I pipe all my centers and them put them in the freezer for a few minutes. When you are ready to pipe the rose just pull them out , nice and stiff and ready to go. (As I am composing this sentence I am thinking I should be at the naughty thread )

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 11

Have you tried the witch's hat flower nail?? I swear by that thing (no more need for bases at all). I also knew a lady that piped hers onto a sharpened pencil - same idea.

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 2:07am
post #9 of 11

ok what is the witches hat ???'cuz i seriously need help

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 2:18am
post #10 of 11

You should be able to buy it most places... I got mine at sugarcraft.com - you can do a search for "witch's hat". Picture a regular flower nail with a cone stuck onto it - just like a halloween witch's hat. This eliminates the need for you to make the center, you just start piping away. You remove the flower with scissors - place them at the base and spin the nail while closing the scissors and pulling the nail out. Your flower will not collapse - I do this with SMBC. Uses a little less buttercream too icon_smile.gif

CAKESHERWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESHERWAY Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 2:37am
post #11 of 11

That is an awesome tip! I too had this problem but would keep one bag (the base tip) in the fridge or on ice in a bowl to keep that BC firm and then periodically take breaks to chill the BC with the petal tip. MAke sense icon_smile.gif ??

I am getting one of those witches hat things!!! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%