What Went Wrong???

Decorating By susanmm23 Updated 25 Apr 2005 , 9:26am by diane

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 12:04am
post #1 of 10

ok so my bct melted. i cant figure out why though. can some one please help me figure this out. it was only 69 degress here today only out of the fridge for the ride to my inlaws and when we got there it was a nasty mushy mess. i dont know what happened.

9 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 12:17am
post #2 of 10

my guess is (and please remember this is not knowing your recipe or anything else) First its alot hotter in the car then out side. Second did you have the cake covered in a plastic container? If it was i would say condensation formed on the plastic and dripped onto the cake. Humdity would play a factor in something like this too. I like to just box my cakes, because the box can breathe and i don't end up with a puddle of condensation.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 12:30am
post #3 of 10

Hi, Susan! I'm so sorry you had trouble with the cake, I know you really wanted it to turn out perfect! I made my first BCT this weekend too, and it would start melting pretty quick when I was handling it, but I just checked on it in its Rubbermaid cake carrier, and it has set up okay, so I can't imagine what happened to yours!

It almost has to be the moisture in the refrigerator, mine has been out since I got it on the cake and iced around it. I had to cut part of mine off, I had actually put "Happy Mother's Day" on it, but I just got it backwards, not a mirror image (just a slight error). I did figure out you definitely need borders and framework, and evidently it has to be something besides buttercream icing! I've re-read Cali4dawn's instructions, and she said she uses store icing (not a brand name) to do the outlines, so that's where my problem started by not doing that!

We will both just have to consider this a learning experience and try it again, right? Right! icon_rolleyes.gif Janice

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 1:13am
post #4 of 10

Susan,

My wedding cake never crusted! So I know how you feel!! I was so upset!! I really think the humidity played a big part in my icing. From now on all I'm using is crisco in my buttercream icing. I won't use butter ever again. It's just too soft. Now that this wedding is past me I am going to practice transfers! I'm excited!! Good luck on your next transfer Susan~

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 1:49am
post #5 of 10

So sorry Susan...I read about this in your other thread and you said you used whipped icing. Did you use that for the BCT too? If so, maybe it wasn't stiff enough to hold it's shape once it defrosted?

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 2:11am
post #6 of 10

no we used bc for the transfer the cake was iced in whipped cream icing.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 7:18am
post #7 of 10

Hi susanmm. I am sorry to hear about your bct. I, too, think that the humidity had to place a huge part in the breakdown. I know that the bcts will usually "melt" into the icing. But it sounds like you had a complete meltdown of everything. Perhaps it was because it was on top of whipped icing instead of regular BC or fondant. I hope this doesn't discourage you from making others. It could have just been this one that was acting up.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 7:36am
post #8 of 10

Now TC! I find that the margarine I used for mine until recently when I started using butter, didnt hold up at all around here... and it definately didnt work on my transfers that I tried... I had some left over frosting made with butter and it made a "transfer" and it looked better and came off the paper better. It also crusted better then margarine one I think.... I know it tasted better.... so it must be the humidity....

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 9:01am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

Susan,

My wedding cake never crusted! So I know how you feel!! I was so upset!! I really think the humidity played a big part in my icing. From now on all I'm using is crisco in my buttercream icing. I won't use butter ever again. It's just too soft. Now that this wedding is past me I am going to practice transfers! I'm excited!! Good luck on your next transfer Susan~

hate to tell you this, its the fat to sugar contant in an icing that allows for the crust to form. If you are using a high fat recipe weather it be butter or crisco, you need to play with the fat to sugar ratio to get yourself a crusting icing. And yes the humdity will play a part in weather your icing will crust.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 9:26am
post #10 of 10

i can say this...if your buttercream was too thin to beging with it will do that. i made that same mistake before. i can't be too thin. it will also take longer to freeze.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%