To Straw Or Not To Straw. That Is The Question.

Decorating By Susecita Updated 7 Apr 2006 , 12:35pm by KittisKakes

Susecita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susecita Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 3:14am
post #1 of 26

The book Cake Bible and quite a huge number of websites advocate the use of straws instead of dowels for support. The theory is that physically straws are better because they don't shake up as much mass (u know when you make those holes in the cake you are messing with the structure of the cake), they are also more hygenic than wood not to mention much easier to cut. This seems like an interesting topic. What are your thoughts?

-Sus

25 replies
cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 3:20am
post #2 of 26

I think straws are great for some but will not hold extra weight and may collapse when you are travelling with the cake. I have used sucker sticks which are sturdier and much like straws and easy to cut.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 5:24am
post #3 of 26

To afraid to trust the straws after working on a cake to have it collapse.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 5:30am
post #4 of 26

I use the thick straw for smaller stacks (two tiers) and they work great. Easy to cut, easy to remove. For larger cakes, I use the Wilton plastic dowels. They are also pretty easy to cut.

I no longer use wood, because it seems to impart a taste, once it absorbs moisture from the cake. Also, they are a pain to cut.

Annalisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annalisa Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 5:55am
post #5 of 26

I have to agree with all of the above. I use Wilton plastic dowels and think they are just fantastic.

crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 8:33am
post #6 of 26

i've used those huge straws for "bubble tea" from asian grocery stores for my daughters chocolate 3 tier cake. no problem at all. quite sturdy.easy to cut...just with normal sissors. i think they're around 1 -1.5cm diameter. that's for a medium to dense choc cake.

Susecita Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 10:55am
post #7 of 26

All these sound like great ideas. Maybe when I am done with school I will try stacking about 5 cakes and driving them around town to see how they hold up. I wonder if anyone has tried that yet!

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 11:17am
post #8 of 26

I've used wooden skewers like you would for kabobs. They are easy to cut with scissors and I haven't had any problems with sturdiness with my stacked 2 layer cakes. I've not had any issues with taste or structure.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 3:29pm
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susecita

All these sound like great ideas. Maybe when I am done with school I will try stacking about 5 cakes and driving them around town to see how they hold up. I wonder if anyone has tried that yet!

Susecita, you are too funny! I can just see you driving through town with a HUGE cake for the fun of it! icon_biggrin.gif

I've met a woman who told me that her daughter's wedding cake was doweled with straws and it collapsed. Boy, was she angry. icon_surprised.gif So, I prefer to use sturdier dowels, wooden to date but I'm going to look for the wilton plastic ones.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 3:44pm
post #10 of 26

I use plain wooden chopsticks as dowels for tiered cakes, they are easy to cut with rose pruners and hold up just as well as wooden dowels, but cost a fraction of the price!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 3:55pm
post #11 of 26

I use straws for smaller or 2 tiered cakes but wooden dowels for larger or 3 tiered cakes. I'd rather not take a chance!

Debbie

Susecita Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 5:44pm
post #12 of 26

Boy boy I might not wait. I promise everyone that as soon as I finish my MA defense I will spend a weekend baking cakes and like Chris said driving around town just for the fun of it. I guess if they don't collapse I can just decorate them later and have quite a few cakes to add to my portfolio. How about I try to make it to Chicago? That's 2 hrs away from where I live. It is a challenge and I will keep you posted. I will take pictures and post them too. I have a question though, how tall/large does the cake have to be for me to be able to prove my theory?

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 6:05pm
post #13 of 26

When you stack multiple tiers and drive it around, you also should use a dowl that runs through all the tiers to hold them in place. If you sharpen the thin wooden dowel (clean and wiped with shortening), you can use a hammer to drive it down the the bottom.

barbara-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbara-ann Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 6:13pm
post #14 of 26

I also have thick straws from the asian market, they work great. Last time I was at the cake store, i saw some screw type plastic supports, kinda like wooden dowels, but plastic. They claim that after you use the plastic screw type, you will never go back to wooden dowels again. Has anyone tried them before, and if so, do they work?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 6:50pm
post #15 of 26

I have used the heavy thick straws by Rubbermaid that are made for the little juice boxes.They are for the refillable containers.The straws are about 4 inches long and are super heavy not like a slurpee straw from the store.I have only ever used them on 2 tiers at the most and for stacking 3D cakes,Balls on top of slabs etc .A wedding cake or something more elaborate I would definetly use wooden dowels or the wilton dowel sticks.

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 12:18pm
post #16 of 26

No straws for me again. I had a cake collapse in transport supported with straws. Wasn't a big cake so I thought it would be fine. Never again.

diana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diana Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 12:21pm
post #17 of 26

I always use lollipop sticks, they work perfect for me! thumbs_up.gif

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 12:28pm
post #18 of 26

I've used straws on a cake stacked 3 layers. Transported it and had no trouble. Actually in my photos, the wedding cake with pink roses and the white baptism cake were both supported with straws and then a dowel down the center. I don't know if I would ever go any higher though. The straws I used are the ones you get from Mcdonald's. The big fat ones. If you are uneasy about using a straw - then don't do it. Better be safe than sorry!!

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 12:38pm
post #19 of 26

You know Kittikakes, I do wonder if maybe not all straws are created equal. I had used them in the past no problems, but that last ordeal put the fear in me. icon_smile.gif

KittisKakes Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 12:45pm
post #20 of 26

LisaMS - Well, if that had happened to me - I wouldn't use straws again either!!! There are definitely straws out there that are thicker and wider. It's certainly something to experiment with, but not on a cake like you lost!! It's just a pain to cut the wooden dowels and well, I'm cheap! So, I would rather not keep spending money on the plastic supports. I know they don't cost that much - but, like I said, I am cheap! I have 2 more stacked cakes coming up, I plan on still using the straws. I'd be lying if I said I didn't worry about the straws supporting the weight. But then again, I worry if they like the cake, if it looks good, did they see that one crooked shell....well, you know what I mean!!!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 10:13pm
post #21 of 26

I have made only one (1) cake, and never saw this question before...So if it's stupid, please bear with me.
Is there a reason I couldn't use something like a candy stick for a dowel? (Like the straight part of a candy cane) That way even the support would be edible...

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 10:22pm
post #22 of 26

I learned to use straws after reading The Cake Bible. It always worked. Maybe, just lucky though because I never put a dowel down the middle. I would imagine it is a little tricky though because you may have to go through a few boards, right?

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 10:30pm
post #23 of 26

Barbara Ann the plastic screw type tings are called Cake Jacks and yes I use them. They have a nylon screw in the top so you can level your cakes. They come in different sizes ( at least 2 ) I have actually taken the screws out and just used the dowel part. The store I use to get them from has closed so I will have to go online to find them when I need more. But they work nicely and I like them

crouton800 Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 8:37am
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMS

You know Kittikakes, I do wonder if maybe not all straws are created equal. I had used them in the past no problems, but that last ordeal put the fear in me. icon_smile.gif

LisaMS,
i think that's very true - that not all straws are created equal. I guess that's why some people have no problems and others like you, unfortunately had bad experiences. Earlier on I had written that i use "bubble tea"straws. I just wanted to clarify that they are much more sturdier and larger than normal straws. I didn't want anyone to go out and just use normal straws! Especially for heavy and dense cakes. It would also depend how many you put in. here's a photo of the bubble tea straws i mentioned.

I would suggest that if anyone really wanted to use straws (whatever type) and were'nt sure on their sturdiness...test it. For example, place the straws upright on a table in the configuration you would,if you were placing them in a cake, and then place a empty cake tin on top of that. then either fill the tin with some heavy stuff or simply find a heavy book ( similar to the weight of your cake(s)) and place that on top. then you'll see whether the straws can hold it or are under "stress".
LL

crouton800 Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 8:46am
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

When you stack multiple tiers and drive it around, you also should use a dowl that runs through all the tiers to hold them in place. If you sharpen the thin wooden dowel (clean and wiped with shortening), you can use a hammer to drive it down the the bottom.

Hi JoAnn,
I've read this many times and I just can't figure out how a wooden dowel can be hammered through the cake boards!? or is it the cakeboard i use in Asia are thicker??!. I've only tried transporting a three tier cake once. and how i got around to putting a dowel through all three tiers is that i went and made a hole in the two cake boards the dowel had to go through and basically lowered the cake onto it! no problems with transporting it. i really believe that if i were to drive a dowel through my cake and cake boards, i'd end up squashing all the cake! just to make a hole in my cake boards i had to use a heavy duty sissors and make a dent, then get a screwdriver and twist my way until i made a hole. it took A LOT of effort. keen to know how you do it!

KittisKakes Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 12:35pm
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I have made only one (1) cake, and never saw this question before...So if it's stupid, please bear with me.
Is there a reason I couldn't use something like a candy stick for a dowel? (Like the straight part of a candy cane) That way even the support would be edible...

I've never tried that. So, I'm not sure if that would work. You could certainly do a test run on it!

Quote:
Quote:

crouton800
Hi JoAnn,
I've read this many times and I just can't figure out how a wooden dowel can be hammered through the cake boards!? or is it the cakeboard i use in Asia are thicker??!. I've only tried transporting a three tier cake once. and how i got around to putting a dowel through all three tiers is that i went and made a hole in the two cake boards the dowel had to go through and basically lowered the cake onto it! no problems with transporting it. i really believe that if i were to drive a dowel through my cake and cake boards, i'd end up squashing all the cake! just to make a hole in my cake boards i had to use a heavy duty sissors and make a dent, then get a screwdriver and twist my way until i made a hole. it took A LOT of effort. keen to know how you do it!

I sharpen one end of the dowel and using a small hammer (it's actually a small meat tenderizer), I tap the dowel into the cake. Once it hits the cake board, it may need a little bit harder of a "tap", but it will go through. I ususally have some kind of decoration that sits over the spot where the dowel went through. If not, I ice the top of that tier once the dowel is in. I usually will cut the dowel so it will go all the way through the cake board at the bottom, to act as an anchor.

crouton800 - My cake boards are just plain, 1-layer, corrugated cardboard. I don't know if that is any different than what you may use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%