Austin Cake Show

Decorating By TERRYHORTON Updated 13 Apr 2006 , 10:25am by pinkopossum

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 4:30am
post #31 of 57

Thanks, Terri! I'm glad you got a picture of that crawling baby fairie. I never got to see it while it was together. Pretty cute. A lot of hard work!

Deanna

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 1:45pm
post #32 of 57

I'm not sure who won the 1-tip challenge, but the mystery challenge winner was the lady who did the baby shower cake with the baby under the blanket, and the 2-hour wedding challenge winner was Susan O-Boyle Jacobson; she did the pink wedding cake with the chocolate embellishments. She is also the one who did the fondant technique demo with the drapes, ropes, etc. And yes, Marco Antonio's demo blew everybody away - I can't wait to see the 1st cake on here that someone does using his style!! The only demo we missed was the gumpaste flower demo. Didn't you just love Bronwen's funky sculpted chicken?!? She is just such a hoot, she had us cracking up the entire time!

Marilyn

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 2:00pm
post #33 of 57

Thanks Terri for uploading all the pictures! Now I can show my husband some good pictures of all the other cakes!

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 2:22pm
post #34 of 57

wow, I had no idea so many of ya'll were at the cake show..........sorry I didn't get to meet anyone.

I have posted both of my cakes in the gallery section.........green/pastel wedding cake (1st place...but there were only 2 entires so I guess I got first by default icon_lol.gif ) and 3D Faberge Egg which won 3rd place in the Novelty Adult Intermediate division. Of course there were only 3 entries for the Novelty division so I don't feel like I really won anything. If there had been more entries, I know my cakes would not have placed. I have no idea why I was put into the Adult Intermediate class. I am definitely a beginner. The quality of work of all the other cakes was much higher than mine.......heck, even the Beginner cakes looked better than mine!!

It ws my first cake show to enter......kinda nervous about putting my cakes on the table next to all the rest. I have only taken one cake decorating class which was the Cake Sculpting class that Bronwen taught the weekend before.

Congratulations to everyone!!

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 6:41pm
post #35 of 57

Southaustingirl - I saw your cakes at the show! They were both beautiful! You do such good work! icon_biggrin.gif

southaustingirl Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 1:30am
post #36 of 57

So who did what cake? How many Austin people? Houston, DFW, etc....
Anybody from out of state attend the show?

There were some techniques that were really cool. I like the wedding cake wiht the fondant pleats and the chocolate painting. There was also a tiered cake (brown) that had curly, rolled designs on it. It was on the student's table. What is that technique called?

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 1:45am
post #37 of 57

Wow, I loved the show! I had such a good time even though I didn't stay all day Saturday. I got to see the chocolate demo and that was so fun. By the time we left I really wanted to go to culinary school! What a great place that is!

Marilyn - it was so nice meeting you and April! And I'm so glad she medaled! That's great!

I think I'm going to enter next time. There were so many variations just within the Beginner level, kwim?

Did you not love some of the Master wedding cakes? They were just gorgeous. My three favs were right out in the front area - one had calla lillies, another had really colorful flowers for a topper and the other had a really interesting half ball-type topper. Just exquisite.

I really wish I had been able to see Bronwen and the other pros on Sunday. I'm definitely considering going to the ICES show this summer. Anyone else going? Rooms are pricey but wouldn't be so bad if they were split at least 2 ways.

Oh, just a side note... Food Network is showing the Birthday Cake Challenge this Sunday night. thumbs_up.gif

Sunflowerbagel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflowerbagel Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 2:18am
post #38 of 57

southaustingirl,

Are you talking about the swirls that are like TamiAZ's cake here on cakecentral.com? If so, I REALLY liked that cake too. I've had TamiAZ's chocolate swirls cake in my favorites here so it was cool to see that technique up close.

If you're not talking about that, then nevermind... icon_smile.gif

southaustingirl Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 4:08am
post #39 of 57

Yes......the technique is like the one used by TamiAz. What is that called? It looks soooo cool!!

Hey, Marilyn....thanks for your positive comments icon_smile.gif

ape Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 3:54pm
post #40 of 57

Great to meet Terry and choccomama (your kids are super cute by the way)! Everyone should enter next year.....let's make this show as big as Oklahoma! I have to move to intermediate next year (I'm kind of sad about that), but I'm already getting some ideas!

ape Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 4:08pm
post #41 of 57

Oh, and I almost forgot! If you have kids you should really have them do something. They had the cutest awards ceremony for the kids (they all got medals) with categories like "Best use of raisins on a cake".....super fun!

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 4:19pm
post #42 of 57

icon_smile.gif So anyone from here won anything ? First Place, Second Place anything ? anyone ? I would love to know so I can congratulate that person... but if none, I would still congratulate for a job well done..

I'm sure everything was beautiful... thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

Mommyof2Angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyof2Angels Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 4:22pm
post #43 of 57

My son entered a cake icon_smile.gif he is only 5 and had a great time doing it...he was sooo excited to win a metal icon_smile.gif

'He won the happiest cake in the room award...haha
He didn't want to go up my himself and get it...so I had to go with him icon_smile.gif We were the last name Bronwen couldn't pronounce...haha

Nicole

ape Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 4:29pm
post #44 of 57

I think if you check the first part of this thread.....some people put in their winning entries. There were quite a few from cake central!

chocomama Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 7:24pm
post #45 of 57

Thanks, April!
I told my daughter that she should enter a cake next year and she was really excited.
Anyone remember the Wallace and Grommit cake? When my daughter saw it she said (LOUDLY), "Mommy, I wish YOU could make cakes like that." ROFL! Everyone around us giggled as I told her that I wish I could, too! icon_lol.gif

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 8:34pm
post #46 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by southaustingirl

Yes......the technique is like the one used by TamiAz. What is that called? It looks soooo cool!!

Hey, Marilyn....thanks for your positive comments icon_smile.gif

I love, love, love this technique too! I did a little looking around the web and found out that the same technique in paper crafts is called quilling, if I understand correctly. So...I guess maybe it's considered quilling still...even if it's with fondant/gumpaste, etc.?

Just to clarify that we're thinking of the same thing here...lol...here's a pic of the brown cake at the show....are we all on the same page here? icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif
LL

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 8:38pm
post #47 of 57

Just wanted to add...here's a google pic search I did for 'quilling'...looks like exactly the same thing to me. I guess if someone wanted step-by-step instructions you could go to a crafts store (Michael's) and look for how-to books. HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=RNWE,RNWE:2006-05,RNWE:en&q=quilling&sa=N&tab=wi

barbara-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbara-ann Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 8:51pm
post #48 of 57

My husband really liked the tiki cake, my daughter loved the lemonade/lemons cake(she took quite a few pictures of that one. My husband also liked the sculpted dog cakes. He said I should sculpt a cake looking like our dog.
As soon as I went into the demo classes my husband left and my daughter and I went to the demos. I only wish the demos would not have overlapped, because I wanted to see them all. Oh well, a good reason to go again next year, and hopefully enter a cake, or a cookie.

ape Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 9:04pm
post #49 of 57

I had all these grand plans to attend some of the demos on Saturday and just ended up seeing all the competitions instead! But I got to see the demos on Sunday, so it was OK!

Seriously, I wish we could get everyone on cake central in the Texas area to enter.

chocomama Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 9:08pm
post #50 of 57

Yes, I've seen quilling in paper crafts, now that you mention it. It looks even better on a cake, I think. I really like the one pictured, but I wish the fondant would have been a deeper brown.

talmas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talmas Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 11:38am
post #51 of 57

I am so sad. My cake went into the trash this morning. DH had to push me to do it. It was so hard. I grew so attached after spending so much time with it. I know I am silly but I am going to miss it.

TooMuchCake Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 12:24pm
post #52 of 57

I know how you feel.... I haven't thrown mine away yet but it's getting close to that point. I have two more sculptures to do at the store this week so it will be easier to part with the dog when I have rabbits to do.

It's like throwing away a pet. icon_rolleyes.gif

Deanna

ape Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 1:19pm
post #53 of 57

Y'all threw them away? OH MY.....You could have kept them at my house!!!!! But they were real cake, huh? I am so sorry.....I totally feel you pain! We will all observe a moment of silence......

TooMuchCake Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 2:12pm
post #54 of 57

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

LOL!!

Deanna

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 3:41pm
post #55 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ape

Y'all threw them away? OH MY.....You could have kept them at my house!!!!! But they were real cake, huh? I am so sorry.....I totally feel you pain! We will all observe a moment of silence......

Heehee, I see we have another Twisted Sister icon_twisted.gif !
Hugs Squirrelly

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 3:51pm
post #56 of 57

I WISH I could have gone! Between cake orders and other family commitments I missed the show again this year! I've never gotten to go... Next year DH will just have to spend some quality time with HIS children. ( icon_twisted.gif As I always tell my friends...he enjoyed helping to get them here, he should get to enjoy them being here! icon_lol.gif ) I'm going to go next year if I have to hurt people!

Really sad part...I only live 1 hour from Austin! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 10:25am
post #57 of 57

love the quilling. Thanks for the photo! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%