Discouraged

Decorating By Lorabell Updated 7 Apr 2007 , 5:02pm by heavensgaits

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 32

Hey,

thank u to anyone who has responded to my questions, but I am very discouraged.

I see so many wonderful things and I just don't know where to begin. I can't find any classes. I feel that the work I do is good, but I want to do so much more.

I have searched the internet for classes in my area, but come up empty.

The things I see that I want to do, I don't know how to do and don't know how to find out how to do it! icon_cry.gif

Please.........HELP![/b]

31 replies
youngestdecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngestdecorator Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 32

Try going online and finding some practice books, you know, teach yourself. Decorating came naturally to me, i actually went to classes just cause they were there. But wilton does sell books that teach you step by step techniques that you can practice. GOOD LUCK!

ladyday95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyday95 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 32

Dont be discouraged... we all have to start the same place.... I can not take classes either but am having fun playing. What are you trying to make that you are having trouble with??

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 32

i'm sorry you are so discouraged, hun. my best advice is this: stick with us! you will learn so much from this board. and practice practice practice. i never ever thought of doing a basketweave or scrollwork or a fbct before i joined cc and now i am doing them on paid cakes! hang out here for a few weeks and you'll be amazed at the things you learn!

just don't give up. you will get to where you want to be if you stick with it and practice your skills!

good luck and welcome to the family!

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 32

I have the same problem there are no classes near me but I'd love to learn some new stuff. I'm still quite a novice to this whole decorating thing but the thing that keeps me motivated is just being a part of the cc gang lol I suggest you do like I do and just pick a project you want to try that you think you can do and ask the person who originally did it for some help or just ask questions in the forums trust me once you start experimenting and using the suggestions you receive here you'll be on your way

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 32

Welcome and I am sorry you are having such a hard time. Might I suggest your local library? If you have a library card you can do a search online for cake decorating books at your local library (at least in California). You might do an online search for cake decorating videos. There are quite a few out there in all price ranges. Maybe someone here at CC can recommend a few. DONT give up.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 32

Lorabell I dind't take classes, I lerned with books and videos, we didn't even had CC on thouse days..
take a look at my photos, you'll see it's not about classes it's about getting in the kitchen and practice practice practice

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 32

Seriously, I never took the classes--available but not available at times when hubby could watch the kiddos.

I'd buy the books and get the icing and go. Seriously. I never thought I could do fondant cookies and now I am selling them to friends and family--they love them and I love teh decorating. I love creating and needed an outlet-my kids love it too-lol.

Maybe rent a video if they available.

I just went to a resale shop and bought a "bag of stuff" for $5--turns out it has the pages from course one with the easel and then to top it iff 8 tips! I already have the tips but they will come in handy when using a bunch of colors. I also got a book pan for $2--they had it ided as a paint tray.

Have fun!

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:39pm
post #9 of 32

I'm so sorry you are so discouraged!! As you can see from the date I joined CC, I have been on this board for a long time. When I first started, I new absolutely nothing and live in a town that didn't have classes, a cake shop, etc. After I found CC, I received so many words of wisdom from so many great people and it really encouraged me to learn as much as possible!! I still feel like I learn something new here every day!!!

Have you thought about investing in some videos? There are several threads discussing some of the videos available online.

Good luck to you!!

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:44pm
post #10 of 32

I'm not sure where you are located but search for how to videos . They may be just what you need to add new skills to your work. I know Wilton has some and so do other decorators like Nick lodge. Here are a couple links hope they help.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/department.cfm?id=3E304D2A-475A-BAC0-5F8C5D59D19B2F7C&fid=3E3059CC-475A-BAC0-5B03ABE262967CE4

http://www.internationalsugarart.com/cgi-bin/store/shop.cgi?c=a_books_videos.htm

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:45pm
post #11 of 32

Lorabell, Where are you located? Maybe someone seeing this post will know where you can take classes but we need to know what state and city you are in. There are so many great cake decorating books that you can purchase. Try Ebay. You can get some good deals on used books there. Good luck.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:45pm
post #12 of 32

I'm self taught. I found books and videos and just practiced and learned by trial and error.

If you want to do it you can.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:45pm
post #13 of 32

We can't point you in a direction where you might be able to take classes if we do not know where you live.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

TJB22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJB22 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:52pm
post #14 of 32

I see wilton even offers DVD or VHS videos on cake decorating. They are listed in the wilton yearbook on page 127 for 19.99
There is one called cake decorating basics, you could start with that one.
HTH

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:01am
post #15 of 32

Check out videos and books. I've learned quite a bit that way! Don't get discouraged.

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:02am
post #16 of 32

plus you can pick up deals on e-ba for the wilton class books a lot of us (ok not that i am an expert) are self taught and for me CC has been the biggest part of that really and truly !!

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:06am
post #17 of 32

Lorabell,

I learned some of my piping just by watching a lady do it on tv. She was making a sugar egg. Then I decided to take a class through my local ROP.
I'm not sure where you live but check your high schools. Also, I have some Wilton yearbooks that I purchased off of Ebay and Amazon. I even read somewhere in the forum that Netflix has some dvds you can rent.

Dont get discouraged. I'm sure you will find something but please let us know where you live and maybe someone here can tell you where to go from there. You will find that there are a great deal of people on CC that are willing to help for the love of cake.... tee hee hee.

Good Luck

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:14am
post #18 of 32

Lorabell,

Make a plan and then work your plan. Decide on making 12 cakes - one for each month. The month before decide what design you will do. Find some on this site or in designer books. Then PM artists on this site for their advice and go for it. You don't need classes!!!!!!

Now look at my gallery starting with my heart cake. That was February 14, 2006 and my first cake. I used a spread sheet and plotted out my year, got a three ring binder and copied photos from wonderful artists with my designs.

I purchased several Master decorating books, asked many questions from designers on this website who I respect and by November was creating cake sculptures good enough to put my watermark on and claim my own design instead of copying someone.

Now I have been awarded an artist grant to go to Illinois and get a week long training in October at Wiltons, I have been accepted in three art shows and my work sells for BIG bucks.

Don't lose heart - just get a plan and start!

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:21am
post #19 of 32

you can email personally, I bought the wilton homestudy course along time ago, they don't even sell any more. It has directions and full page practice sheets. It is in a hardbound binder all three courses. It isn't as colorful as the course books now. But I would be glad to give to you for shipping cost. It is just sitting on my shelf. I am able to take the courses now at michaels, and have the new course books. my email is [email protected].

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:21am
post #20 of 32

Tiptop,
That inspired me. Your work is just beautiful. icon_lol.gif

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:23am
post #21 of 32

I started by getting some Wilton character pans & following the directions. To paraphrase Dori (from "Finding Nemo") "just keep baking, just keep baking, baking, baking" - good luck! And keep your chin up!

Brenda

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:05am
post #22 of 32

Sometimes it is nice to have someone else there to learn with and share ideas, and when it goes well and when it doesn't. If you are looking for a class to join for this reason (as well as learning the techniques!) what about seeing if there is anyone else interested in learning and see if you can't get together and teach yourselves. Start your own small group.

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 10:35am
post #23 of 32

Please don't be discouraged.
Like many others that posted I too am self taught and it all started when I couldn't get anyone to do a character cake for me.
I just kept reading and reading everything on CC and then tried it out in the kitchen.
I was making cakes every week (wasn't good for the hips icon_eek.gif ) and trying to practice what I was learning off CC.

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 2:51pm
post #24 of 32

I agree, you cannot get discouraged. I am just starting out again after a 10 year break from decorating, and it's like learning all over again. I don't have the money to take the classes as well, and I am relying solely on this forum and Wilton for my education. Wilton's website has all the flower making instructions and many many more things.
My best friend bought me a tip set, my sister buys my bags, and most of my cake mixes are 10 for $10 at Kroger. Haven't sold anything yet, but I just keep baking, just keep baking......baking baking...... icon_biggrin.gif

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 3:17pm
post #25 of 32

Honey, there are TONS of us on here who never took classes. The first few cakes I did were total disasters. And one was for PAY! But, I kept plugging. Just practice, practice, practice! Zero in on one thing at a time....like learning to do perfect borders...or a good rose (notice, I didn't say "perfect rose" LOL?) Try this recipe and that. Try this technique and that. You've got to start with baby steps. You can make a LOT of cakes for the same money you would spend on classes. Just dive in and don't be hesitant to toss your mistakes in the garbage. After all, we learn as much from our mistakes as we do from the successes...maybe more.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 3:29pm
post #26 of 32

I signed up for Wilton classes when I wanted to get started and did not feel like I got much from them. Then, I stumbled upong this website, committed to making at least 1 practice cake a week to practice a new technique learned here/perfect one I'm working on and I find that I am learning at a pace I never imagined. Honestly, the REAL knowledge you get from this site is better than many classes out there. Practice and CC makes perfect. On that note: thanks to all CC-ers! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 1:23am
post #27 of 32

thank you everyone! I think I just get overwhelmed. thanks for the encouragement., by the way, I live in NC. icon_biggrin.gif

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:35pm
post #28 of 32

I have been cake decorating for years but really want to upgrade my skills. No classes are available that fit my needs. I went out and bought the Wilton yearbook (last years, it's cheaper) and plan to work my way through the book this summer. I also bought the class books and they offer lots of info. To save on having to bake alot you can use styrofoam dummies. Cover them with fondant and once it dries you can pipe till your hand hurts. Then take a picture and just wipe it off. One thing I've learned from watching shows on foodtv is that you can do it and then redo it and redo it again till you get it right. It's only cake, don't be afraid! thumbs_up.gif

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:02pm
post #29 of 32

When I started I had no access to classes. I bought the large set of tips and a Wilton Yearbook I believe it was the 1983 ! and just started practicing with all the tips.. In each wilton yearbook they They have a section that shows you what each tip does and also how do do different technique's.. Practice practice practice Make your friends and family CAKES CAKES!! Every chance you get make a cake They freeze well.. (My kids don't like cake now..) You sooo Can Do This! Don't give up... I have been doing cakes now for 24 years (seems like a blink) and a few years ago I put aside a$$ from a wedding cake I did and took my first class. So there may not be opportunity for you to take a class now but learn all you can and then someday you will find a class and be able to take it... I had to travel from California to Texas! IT WAS THE BEST VACATION I HAVE EVER HAD! I WORKED MY *@$# OFF! Good luck and you will do fine YOU found this website.. that's 1/2 the battle plenty of help here just ask.. happy to help you!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 4:29pm
post #30 of 32

As someone said earlier, there are a lot of us that are self-taught, me included over 25 years ago. But I can also tell you that I've learned more from this site in under a year than I did in the past 25 years total!! However you found CC, you stumbled upon the greatest learning tool you will ever come across! I'm sure you will find everyone on here VERY willing to help with ideas and suggestions and most important, constructive criticism to help you grow!

The only bad part about being a CC'er is the addictiveness! They are NOT kidding about that!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%