Fondant Poll?

Decorating By Florimbio Updated 14 Apr 2006 , 4:10pm by Florimbio

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 40

I am looking for a good tasting fondant that is ready made and not too much$$$

I have been using mmf, I like the texture but hate how it comes back on you and is so hard to color, I have also been using rolled BC, like the taste, bit soft, hard to cover cakes with...tried 50/50 it is ok, but I was wondering....

Who has used satin ice? how does it taste? Any draw backs? Where can I buy it?

Who has used Fondx? How does it taste? Any draw backs? Where can I buy it?

Has anyone tried both? Which do you prefer?
any help would be great! icon_smile.gif

39 replies
edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 40

I have used Satin Ice, it's wonderful and I highly recommend it. However, given a choice, I prefer Pettinice. It's got such a great consistency, it is so smooth and easy to use, and it tastes great. The chocolate version is awesome as well, it tastes like tootsie rolls and is dark enough to not need a lot of coloring to make it black.

I know you can order Satin Ice and Pettinice online, I don't know where though. I'm lucky enough to have a cake decorating supply store near me, which sells just about everything I need.

Good luck finding what you like best!

MommaLlama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaLlama Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 40

I also love pettinice. Very nice to work with. My husband loves the taste, he eats most of my scraps. I am lucky enough that my localcake store carries it. I would like to try Fondx but really don't want to pay shipping.

ml

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 40

I love Satin Ice. I have not tried Pettinice but I will look for it at my local cake stores.

I buy Satin Ice at Sur La Table. The white/vanilla is less expensive then my local cake store.

redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 40

you can order Pettinice online at www.swissconnection.com.

Florimbio Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 40

I have never heard of pettinice??? thumbs_up.gif

dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 10:02pm
post #7 of 40

I like Pettinice but I love Satin Ice. You can purchase it from Country Kitchen.com or Sugarcraft. Country Kitchen even has different colors to choose from.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 40

Love Satin Ice.

Florimbio Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 40

How do they taste? Satin Ice and pettinice? Which has a better taste?

dsoutherngirl wrote that she loves satin ice? I was just wondering your opinion on why you choose it over pettinice?

eden cakes perfered pattinice. I was just wondering her opinions on why?

I am not tring to start something here..LOL...
I just want all the facts before I make a purchase!

Thanks! icon_wink.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 40

Yeah I got sick of MMF too! Its hard to get the consistency right every time, and I have had major problems with it ripping on me and stuff.

I just ordered a 10-lb bucket of FondX from caljavaonline, it was like $32 and then had $6.95 shipping (not bad! They go by price, not weight...) so I thought as premade fondant goes, the price wasn't as bad as it could be. I have heard it doesn't taste too bad so I am hoping that's true. I'll have to report back when I find out! I know Wilton's is gross and MMF is getting to be a pain (esp if you don't have enough and have to make more in the middle of a cake!) so I am beginning my search for affordable and tasty fondant.

Florimbio Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 10:36pm
post #11 of 40

please keep me posted...I have heard good things about the fondx. The cost was not so bad. Let us know how it tastes...

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:15am
post #12 of 40

I have a cake supply store in town here that supplies Fondx and I just bought a bucket and tried it. I LOVE IT! It tastes delicious, just like buttercream! It is very pliable giving you room to mold/shape any decoration. Unlike Wilton's brand that drys too fast for me. Fondx takes color easily too. I will never go back to Wilton again!

Fondx comes in white chocolate, chocolate, and raspberry. All good, but the regular Fondx is wonderful.

Definitely give it a try! thumbs_up.gif

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:20am
post #13 of 40

I use to use Satin Ice but now I use FondX. I like the taste better and find it better to work with. That being said, Satin Ice is still high on my list (especially if I need a large quantity of a dark color like black or brown). I can get them both from a local store, but have ordered them online. I got a bunch of Satin Ice from www.cakesbysam.com for a great price and free shipping, and it arrived 3 days later. I ordered a bunch of FondX from www.cakedeco.com and the shipping was pretty high (probably not that high considering the weight of the package). You can also get it from CalJava.

Edited to say: FondX covered cakes can be refrigerated, and Satin Ice's chocolate fondant tastes like a tootsie roll too!

missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:23am
post #14 of 40

I use Fondx. I ordered it from Caljavaonline.com. I also purchased the 10lb bucket for $31. It has a smooth, creamy, not too sweet vanilla flavor. They do have white chocolate and other flavors, I want to try the white chocolate next!!. Really though, it is so soft and just the best!!!!!! My husband loves to snack on the left over pieces!!! lol

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:23am
post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florimbio

How do they taste? Satin Ice and pettinice? Which has a better taste?

dsoutherngirl wrote that she loves satin ice? I was just wondering your opinion on why you choose it over pettinice?

eden cakes perfered pattinice. I was just wondering her opinions on why?

I am not tring to start something here..LOL...
I just want all the facts before I make a purchase!

Thanks! icon_wink.gif

Watch out - dsoutherngirl and I might get into a fondant fight! thumbs_up.gif

I personally prefer Pettinice because I find it easier to work with, and I think it tastes slightly better. Like most things to do with cakes, this is simply down to personal preference and I would suggest (given your resources) that you try everything you can to see what works best for you.

I have never tried Fondx, since I can get other kinds locally and haven't had a need to order fondant. It may very well be better still.

missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:26am
post #16 of 40

Oh yeah!!!!....Caljavonline.com (fondx) accepts paypal for payment (If you do e-bay)

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:26am
post #17 of 40

I use Satin Ice exclusively... Easy to work with and tastes great!! The last two times I've tried Pettince it had that nasty soapy taste to it... Apparently, they fixed the problem, but I haven't tried it since then.

dtmc Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:34am
post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiAZ

I use Satin Ice exclusively... Easy to work with and tastes great!! The last two times I've tried Pettince it had that nasty soapy taste to it... Apparently, they fixed the problem, but I haven't tried it since then.

Hey TamiAZ,

Where do you get your Satin Ice? Do you get it locally in AZ? I'm in AZ as well and only know one store downtown called ABC. That is where I get my Fondx. Do you know of any other cake supply stores?

TIA

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 2:08am
post #19 of 40

TamiAZ and dtmc
I have just found the ABC store this weekend, OMG I was in heaven. Before this I only knew of Micheals, Party City and a few other small craft stores. My boyfriends mother decorates and took me there. I bought a tub of the Fondx and just love the tase over Wilton. I will use it for the first time tomorrow night. I have been wanting to try the Satin Ice and the Pettinice, but don't know where to get it either except on line for the Pettinice. TamiAZ, do you buy your Satine Ice locally or on line?

dtmc Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 2:25am
post #20 of 40

Hey Karate,

I'm glad you found ABC. I love that store as well. The owner of the store is so friendly and helpful. He was the one that got me to buy Fondx. He let me taste all the different flavors. The chocolate is awesome, tastes just like tootsie rolls. Let us know your experience with the Fondx and glad to chat with another Arizonian online about cakes!!!

dtmc (Tiffany) thumbs_up.gif

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 2:35am
post #21 of 40

dtmc & Karate,

I ordered my satin ice directly from the manufacturer...You have to buy 40lbs at one time, but it was quite a bit cheaper. At the time I was ordering I was doing quite a few wedding cakes so I went through it pretty quickly.

I know about ABC, but I usually buy my stuff online.... I'm not too thrilled with their customer service... thumbsdown.gif I've had issues with them in the past and I will only buy from them when I'm in a pinch.

Are you guys ICES members??? The Spring DOS is coming un at the end of the month. Carol Webb and Lucinda Larson will be teaching classes. One class is on Fondant and the other class is buttercream flowers, foliage and borders. Should be fun.. I'm really going to try to make it!!

dtmc Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 3:00am
post #22 of 40

[/quote]I know about ABC, but I usually buy my stuff online.... I'm not too thrilled with their customer service... thumbsdown.gif I've had issues with them in the past and I will only buy from them when I'm in a pinch.

Are you guys ICES members??? The Spring DOS is coming un at the end of the month. Carol Webb and Lucinda Larson will be teaching classes. One class is on Fondant and the other class is buttercream flowers, foliage and borders. Should be fun.. I'm really going to try to make it!![/quote]

That is too bad you had a bad experience with ABC. No I am not an ICES member. Sounds like lots of fun at teh Spring DOS. If you attend let us know how it all went!

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 4:18pm
post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyjo30

Oh yeah!!!!....Caljavonline.com (fondx) accepts paypal for payment (If you do e-bay)

I tried this site and it didn't work.

Karate Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 5:09am
post #24 of 40

Ok just tried it. It is so much softer than wilton, I found it a bit stickier and will take time to figure it out. It wanted to pull apart at the corners. I just stuck flowers there. I will try to attach a pic here, if not then look in my photos the one with the lavender bow.

OK didn't work here. sorry

dtmc Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:04pm
post #25 of 40

Hey Karate,

I just saw your picture, and I think you did a great job! Especially pulling the fondant down around the corners. I still can not achieve that. In my Wilton class I had my teacher do it for me, because I was giving my package cake away as a gift!

Anyway, I have been working with my Fondx on decorations for a couple of cakes I'm doing this week and in the next two weeks. It is softer, so it gives you more time to work with as opposed to Wilton. With Wiltons, I found that I had to work quickly. I still will choose Fondx over Wilton anyday.

But I just made a saw and hammer that I'm doing for a Habitat for Humanity cake. I will post the pick as soon as I am done!

Karate Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 5:03pm
post #26 of 40

OH I definately will choose Fondx over Wilton hands down, just need time to get used to it!

Thank you for the comment on the cake, I used the flowers to hide the corners, it wanted to seperate on all 4 corners.

Anyone using Fondx, do you wait for it to harden a little before putting on a cake?

annlou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annlou Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 5:17pm
post #27 of 40

I see you are buying Fondx, Satin Ice etc. in tubs or buckets. Is it liquid and you add powdered sugar or is it ready and you tear off a piece? How does it come?

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 5:44pm
post #28 of 40

I see that there is quite a price difference between the Fondx and the Satin Ice......do they taste similar? And both easy to work with. I have a small pakage of Pettnice here that I bought and will make to see how easy it is to work with....but it tastes great.....how does the fondx and satin ice compare?

I like the mmf but the work that goes into it is just to much when you have a lot of tiers to cover. I want to find something that tastes good and is easy to work with and color....mmf does not color well in my experience.

Karate Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 6:50pm
post #29 of 40

The Fondx comes in a bucket and you scoop out what you want. I have not used the others yet.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 7:00pm
post #30 of 40

I have used Pettinice, Satinice and FondX. They are all pretty similar, but I like Pettinice the best. That may be because I've used it the most and because I can get it less expensively, but it also sems to drape just a little better for me.

I used FondX in a class once and all of us in the class, including the teacher who had gotten it as a sample, thought Pettinice was just a tiny bit easier to use.

I actually did a taste test between SatinIce and Pettinice one day when I had them both around, and I'm not sure I could tell them apart if I didn't know which was which. Since I did kow, I liked the Pettinice better.....

FondX's marketing says it can be refrigerated, but I posted a thread last week about correspondence I had with the Pettinice rep who says Pettinice can also be refrigerated. I'm not sure about SatimIce.

I agree with whoever said this is probably more about personal preferance than actual big differences in the fondants.

Shalom,
itsacake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%