Fondant Poll?

Decorating By Florimbio Updated 14 Apr 2006 , 4:10pm by Florimbio

annlou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annlou Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 8:13pm
post #31 of 40

Ok, I am having a really dumb moment (I hope moment!) but when you scoop out the fondant, do you have to add anything or do you just have to knead it? Sorry I am being dumb.

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 11:42pm
post #32 of 40

Never a dumb question. Just kneed it, and its ready to go.

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 2:37am
post #33 of 40

I am in heaven....watching the news yesterday morning and lo and behold they had a segment about a new "cake" store in town. She just opened a month ago and has everything you would ever want....plus classes in gumpaste, fondant, etc. Bought my first bucket of Fondx and let me tell you..................NO MORE MMF FOR ME! If you like mmf you will love fondx and no more mess. This stuff is great. $27.99 for a 10 lb bucket.....plus I bought a 19x20 silpat...expensive but well worth the price I paid. Have 2 more wedding tiers to cover in the morning for a Wedding on Saturday. I will not go back to mmf.......Also the Pettinice is great as well. Used some of that on a sample cake last night and sent with dh to work.....was the chocolate and tasted like tootise rolls and was a dream to roll and place on the cake.

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 2:50am
post #34 of 40

How long do each of these keep once opened.
10 lbs. would be a lot for me.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 3:51pm
post #35 of 40

Depending on the brand, they say they keep 6 months to a year and are shelf stable--no need to refrigerate or freeze (in fact they usually say it is not a good idea) Just keep them away from air.

Susan94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susan94 Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 7:10pm
post #36 of 40

I bought Pettinence fondant last year and never used it. It seems to be hard as a rock. Could I microwave it to get it to roll out consistency like I do with MMF?

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 7:56pm
post #37 of 40

Susan,

I'd certainly try the microwave idea and then add a little bit of piping gel, which is Earlene's trick. If it feels sticky at at point, I'd grease my hands with Crisco. I've revived small amlounts of old fondant this way.

Susan94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susan94 Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 2:25am
post #38 of 40

thanks itsacake,

i spent money on it so i'm glad i can revive it.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 1:57am
post #39 of 40

Just bought my first FondX online...it tastes very much like homemade MMF, without the mess! I do like it alot so far. I got mine from caljava and after shipping and everything it was about $40 for ten pounds. Even though that's about four times the cost of homemade MMF, at least there's not such a mess to clean up, or the possibility of the fondant not having the right consistency...

I will be able to possibly order Satin Ice from the catering place I work at part time. If it is significantly less I should probably go that route...can anyone tell me if there is a significant taste or quality difference in the two? I haven't been working there long so have not had a chance to use or taste the Satin Ice. If you were me would you keep ordering the FondX for the price above, or would you try to get Satin Ice for less?

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 4:10pm
post #40 of 40

I tried the pettinence and LOVED it, I also tried the Satin Ice and did not care for it as much as the pettinence. I thought it was a bit sticky....hard to roll out...hard to mold with..

I can not wait to try Fondx!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%