My First Cake (Practice Cake)

Decorating By Amy83 Updated 4 Apr 2007 , 9:14pm by Amy83

Amy83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy83 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 6:57am
post #1 of 32

Here is my first cake, I haven't even really decorated before- but it came out better then I thought it would. this is my first time doing tiers as well, it was lots of fun to do icon_biggrin.gif

this isn't for any event, just a practice. I was asked to do a friends wedding cake (very small wedding) later on this month, which is why I decided to practice the cake I did.

anyways, so I thought I would post it, let me know what you think
LL
LL

31 replies
scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 7:06am
post #2 of 32

Wow, that's fantastic for your first cake!!! Your piping is so even. Did you make the flowers as well?

Amy83 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 7:07am
post #3 of 32

thanks! no the flowers are silk. Im no good at roses or anything yet icon_redface.gificon_wink.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 7:18am
post #4 of 32

Wow, your cake looks great. Keep on practicing.
You'll get better.
I was told, once you do one you really like and you can replicate it. Then you are good to go. So, I am still trying!

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 32

Wonderful job!

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 32

What a beautiful cake for a practice cake! That means the actual wedding cake is gonna be even better! Looks like you have quite a knack for this!! Jen

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 32

You did a lovely job!! Your scrolls and borders look great. Can't wait to see your wedding cake!

Cindy

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:30pm
post #8 of 32

boy! thats a great first cake, the colours are lovely and the photography looks professional. Im sure your friends wedding cake will be a hit.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 32

You did a beautiful job!!

angie

Amy83 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 32

Thank you very much =) Im anxious to do the actual wedding cake. I had planned on having a white cake with pink flowers...but this was my first time making the butter cream frosting..and well, it didnt come out white because of the butter (ah). so I did the color instead. thats one of the things I didnt like much, I think the frosting color is too washed out, no? not the pink I wanted

anyways, thanks again! and I am the wedding photographer as well for this event- not my first wedding, I normally would not do both the cake & the photography, but like I said before this is a very small wedding (30 people) Im anxious for the date to get here. icon_smile.gif

Vicky30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vicky30 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:26pm
post #11 of 32

Great first cake. Just an FYI make sure if your BC calls for vanilla you use clear or you will not get the crisp white that you are seeking!

Amy83 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:31pm
post #12 of 32

thanks Vicky30, here is what I did (I pulled it off of this website)

1/2 shortening
1/2 cup of butter (I used margarine...bad?)
4 cups of confectionery sugar
2 tea spoons of clear wilton vanilla

maybe the fact I used margarine instead of butter is my yellow reason?
btw Im not inlove with it, much too sweet. hmm.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:34pm
post #13 of 32

Wow, your cake is very nice for your first try. Keep on practicing and practicing and you will get better with each cake.
Looking forward to seeing the actual wedding cake! icon_smile.gif

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:39pm
post #14 of 32

I like the recipe you used. I think it tastes soo much better using some butter instead of all crisco. But the down side is that it doesn't come out a crisp white. You can use some white coloring. I'm sure americolor has it. I also found some Lorann? at our restaurant supply store. That helped mine a lot! Your cake is absolutely beautiful. I'm sure they'll love the cake you do for them.
Keep on decorating.

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:42pm
post #15 of 32

Your cake looks fabulous!!!

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:54pm
post #16 of 32

Great job! I can't believe it's your first cake! I think the color is really pretty; nice soft color. The more you practice the better you'll get but I think you must have a natural talent by the look of your first cake. Can't wait to see the wedding cake!

Amy83 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 3:03pm
post #17 of 32

thanks everyone. I'll have to check it out with the coloring. I was reading yesterday that a touch of violet helps with a whiter look too, right?

the cake I REALLY want to try is the lightning mcqueen cars cake, 3D in fondant for my sons 4th birthday (July) but Im not sure it will come out any good, lol but here is to trying! thumbs_up.gif

Vicky30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vicky30 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:47pm
post #18 of 32

I've always used butter! So far my favorite reciept that seems to make the whole family happy is Odessa's BC here on CC. Sweet enough but not over the top! it calls for crisco and butter.

jayme1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayme1980 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:54pm
post #19 of 32

Beautiful cake! You did a great job! thumbs_up.gif

MARIATAMIA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARIATAMIA Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:08pm
post #20 of 32

WOW!!! thumbs_up.gif For your first cake this is incredible. Keep it up. The more you practice the better it gets. You know I use the same recipe for my BC and I agree with you it comes out a bit off-white not pure white. I'm not sure if the white food coloring would help I've never tried it. But someone told me that using just Crisco makes it pure white but I'm not to sure about how it would taste. Anyway, as you make your cakes post them I'd love to see. Good luck on the wedding cake. You'll do great icon_biggrin.gif

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:11pm
post #21 of 32

Wow your first cake is a practice wedding cake, very impressive! You did great and will only get better thumbs_up.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:19pm
post #22 of 32

Great job, I can't wait to see the rest. Keep them coming. Can't believe this is your first.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:30pm
post #23 of 32

WHAT A GREAT CAKE!!

BC tastes so much better with actual butter!! There is an awesome thread that has been going on since like 2005 that has everyone's favorite tips from CC on it that mentioned several times about using violet to whiten your BC just like AMY83 mentioned!!! I wrote it down on my favorite tips list for myself.

I would say do regular BC and add the violet and see how you like it, so if and when you want white you will know!! There were rave reviews on the thread I mentioned about using the violet to get white, so I have to assume it works!

nanny2two Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanny2two Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:48pm
post #24 of 32

That is so pretty! I like the pink color! You did a great job!

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:49pm
post #25 of 32

You mentioned using MARGARINE. That is usually much more yellow than butter- and different brands of butter seem to have avrying degrees of yellow color. Also, margarine doesn't hold up as well as butter- I wouldn't substitute it in you buttercream.
I use more of a 2 part shortening to 1 part butter ratio if I want WHITE-WHITE. Then if I want more butter flavor - I use artificial butter flavoring with my vanilla or almond flavoring. (Butter flavoring is not as good as using real butter, but it helps add some richness to the flavor.)
Use CLEAR vanilla ( or other flavor).
If you do try the violet color trick- USE A VERY, VERY TINY BIT AT A TIME!!! It does work though!
Great cake! Your bride will love it!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:57pm
post #26 of 32

You have definitely got the touch for this kind of work. Very pretty cake.

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:58pm
post #27 of 32

Beautiful!! ALOT better than my first cake lol. Its beautiful

liv6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liv6 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:58pm
post #28 of 32

I just tried the Violet trick in my buttercream last night and it does work. I was so amazed!

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 5:03pm
post #29 of 32

Great cake! I use the violet trick all the time. I find that at first (maybe my lighting) the icing looks slightly purple but either it fades out or I get it in the proper lighting and looks crisp white.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 5:04pm
post #30 of 32

your cake is beautiful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%