Don't Forget The ...

Decorating By BarbaraK Updated 12 Apr 2007 , 3:23am by lu9129

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:05am
post #1 of 15

I got a frantic call last evening from a friend who was making the WASC cake that I gave her the recipe for. She said it's been in the oven for 1hr 20 mins and it does not look like it was even halfway done. Now I have only done these as cupcakes so I did not know exactly how long it take to bake as a cake so I told her to leave it for another 10-15 mins and check it again.

To be sure, I ran through the recipe with her and as she read out each ingredient, I said Yep, etc. Then she stopped and I said what about the egg whites and I heard this loud wail from her end!!! She forgot the egg whites!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

This is my friend that I am sharing some baking and my limited decorating skills with. I hope this does not deter her from trying again.

14 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:09am
post #2 of 15

I read these posts all the time here on someone forgetting the oil, fogetting the eggs, or the liquid. I can't figure out how this happens. If you lay out all of your ingredients before you start baking, set each thing aside after you have used it, or put it back in the cupboard or refrigerator, how can you miss adding each ingredient? Makes me shake my head.

amecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amecakes Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:17am
post #3 of 15

It happens...people hurry (like me sometimes...) and try to get things done during that split second of free time that we have. I have a 10 month old son, and let me tell you...its hard not to forget things during the short periods of free time I have...even things as simple as egg whites.

However, I do agree with Shirley, that you have to set out a plan of attack (or make a list) to make sure that you get things done like you want them. Help your friend do this the next time you're baking together perhaps?

I'm sure that your friend won't give up...just give her more encouragement and perhaps take a wilton class with her...everytime I feel overwhelmed at how new I am to this, or after I botch something I'd have liked to get perfect, I remember the fun I had at my class (or I sign up for a new one, if I'm lucky) and life is good...ready to try try try again icon_smile.gif

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:21am
post #4 of 15

I can see how it can happen if they don't do that....I didn't used to do that. But we learned to put everything in its place, and measured out, BEFORE starting to mix, in baking school. This is a really good tip! That way WHEN you get distracted (phone, kids, whatever....) you can come back to it, and not miss a step!
icon_redface.gif We all live and learn!

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:23am
post #5 of 15

Oh the poor girl icon_sad.gif I hope it doesn't keep her from trying again, just explain how important it is to have everything out and ready before you begin. Good luck to her next time thumbs_up.gif

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:25am
post #6 of 15

With my four kiddos I have to keep a list. My mind is mush and I'm aware of it.

BarbaraK Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:59am
post #7 of 15

The first couple of times I had a baking session with her, I told her how important it is to have all your ingredients set out. I am very pedantic about that. I showed her how I put all the ingredients that have been measured, etc into bowls and I line the bowls up in the order that they go into the mixer. That way I find that you are unlikely to miss an ingredient.

I don't think she will forget this method anymore.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:00am
post #8 of 15

I always double check/review my recipe before I take my batter out of the bowl. There have been too many times I have doubled my recipe, but not all of the ingredients! or vice versa with halving it.

I made Toba Garrets chocolate buttercream recipe last week and forgot to halve the chocolate liqueur. I was like why is this looking so loose? Image When I realized what I did, I made another half batch up until the liqueur goes in and then combined both batches. I have also left the melted butter in the microwave on more than one occasion!! Hey... it happens!

BTW..I still have the other 1/2 sitting in the fridge icon_sad.gif

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:24am
post #9 of 15

I don't think there is anyone who hasn't forgotten an ingredient one time in their life. I made Peanut Butter Blossoms (peanut butter cookies with a Hershey's kiss on top) and forgot the peanut butter of all things. They were more like a sugar cookie and my DIL said she liked them better that way. This happened 10 years ago and my family still teases me unmercifully about it.

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 6:13am
post #10 of 15

I just had to add this one!!! LOLOLOL My sister (who admittedly is NOT a baker) decided she'd make a cake. That alone was bad enough! Well, when she reached to grab the vanilla she grabbed the "Dale's seasoning" (it is a terribly strong meat marinade)!!!! I got the laugh of my life. The best part, she didn't realize it until after she'd baked the cake!! Luckily she wasn't intending on taking it anywhere!! icon_biggrin.gif

wyatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wyatt Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 6:31am
post #11 of 15

I agree with Shirley on the laying everything out and putting it away as you use it method. Helps when you have interuptions and such.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:53am
post #12 of 15

I dont know sometimes you just forget (I am not that organized), it's kinda like your ABC's sometimes you just have to go over and over them to remember right Barb???? LOL icon_biggrin.gif

BarbaraK Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 11:11am
post #13 of 15

Yep, practice, practice, and more practice. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 7:16pm
post #14 of 15

Happens to the best of us!

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:23am
post #15 of 15

I forgot the eggs in my own wedding cake!!!! Had to make a new one.
This was years ago!!! It happens to everyone!!!

Lu

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%