!!!i Think I Just Made Up A Great New Recipe!!!

Decorating By SophieBelle Updated 12 Apr 2007 , 2:06am by Blue0877

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 1:37am
post #31 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieBelle

Hey, one more thing. There is no 'edit' button on the recipe I post above, so I'm adding it here:

My daughter reminded me that the last time I tried the recipe, I didn't use the glycerin (and I'm sorry about the 'glycering' typo above!) I didn't use it and it turned out fine. Better actually.

Glycerin is there for two reasons, one it keeps the fondant soft, keeps it from drying after you cover the cake and live it for hours before eating. actually the way I do gumpaste is using the very same fondant recipe, but simply substitute the glycerine for gum tragacant.
Second Glycerine ads shine.
Please don't take this bad.

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 1:43am
post #32 of 90

the margarita jello, along with pina colada and strawberry daquri, was a "limited edition" the Wal-mart here in NoWhereVille doesn't carry them any more.
Sophiebelle thanks for posting. I had made fondant with the geletan packets and wondered if using flavored Jello would work. I have never taken any cooking or baking classes and wouldn't know the first thing about inventing a receipe. Your receipe is alot easier to make than the fondant one I use. I don't own a cake bible, so I don't know if that is the one I use or not. Thanks again.

SophieBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBelle Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 1:46am
post #33 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolacaracas

Quote:

Hey, one more thing. There is no 'edit' button on the recipe I post above, so I'm adding it here:

My daughter reminded me that the last time I tried the recipe, I didn't use the glycerin (and I'm sorry about the 'glycering' typo above!) I didn't use it and it turned out fine. Better actually.

Glycerin is there for two reasons, one it keeps the fondant soft, keeps it from drying after you cover the cake and live it for hours before eating. actually the way I do gumpaste is using the very same fondant recipe, but simply substitute the glycerine for gum tragacant.
Second Glycerine ads shine.
Please don't take this bad.

Thank you for the advice. I do use glycerin in my royal icing when practicing Australian stringwork, as it does add 'stretch'. Something about the Jello seemed to make the glycerin unnecessary, but I'm sure it wouldn't have hurt anything. Thank you again.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:24am
post #34 of 90

Thanks ShopieBelle,
I have the cake bible but I had not seen this recipe.Thanks for giving it to us & I love the idea of using flavored jello. Yummy.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 8:11am
post #35 of 90

While the Cake Bible recipe (and Debbie Brown's, and Wilton's, and Lindy Smith's etc), maybe similar - they are NOT the same! They use just plain old gelatine sheets/powder, not jello crystals - so you HAVE created something different (and don't let anyone convince you otherwise!). Well done! I may just try this recipe today icon_smile.gif!

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 8:29am
post #36 of 90

Thanks for sharing the recipe, SophieBelle. I'll have to give it a try, as the only fondant I've ever tried is the MMF, and I've had success with that every time.

I saw the Margarita and Strawberry Daquiri JELLO not too long ago at the store. However, my first thought was that it was intended for JELLO Shooters...heh.

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 9:39am
post #37 of 90

thanks for sharing

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 11:02am
post #38 of 90

Well, here's my version - made with strawberry jello crystals - it tastes lovely and has exactly the same texture as unflavoured gelatine fondant (and I didn't use glycerin either!), but far superior in taste! It's not as Barbie pink as I need, but I'll rectify that with electric pink colouring when I use it! Mine still needs a bit of kneading, but I'm going to leave it now until I'm ready to use it (and then I'll add the colouring!). Great invention - well done!
LL

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 3:38pm
post #39 of 90

How cool! I'm never brave enough to experiment with making my own recipes! I can't wait to try this! The fondant recipe I have is actually very tasty, but seems a little more complicated. I haven't tried MMF, but I would love to try this - it sounds tasty!

Julisa Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 3:42pm
post #40 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneprimalscream

I saw the Margarita and Strawberry Daquiri JELLO not too long ago at the store. However, my first thought was that it was intended for JELLO Shooters...heh.

icon_lol.gif Hee Hee Ha Ha icon_lol.gif That is the only reason I bought them. Made my jello shots with Everclear icon_evil.gif Great Minds think alike.. icon_biggrin.gif

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:17pm
post #41 of 90

Sounds great! Can't wait to try it!
What a great idea for some consistency in color- each time I try to reproduce a cake I seem to struggle with getting colors just right! And there's so much variety with the colors AND the flavors!
Good for you SophieBelle! icon_biggrin.gif

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 4:41pm
post #42 of 90

Thank you soo much for the recipe!!!

How long do you think this will keep & how would I go about storing it?
Is it posible to make this fondant white? Sorry for the silly questions icon_redface.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 5:02pm
post #43 of 90

This does sound great!

I made MMF for the first time on Saturday. I used two different brands of MM and they tasted different. One has a smokey campfire flavour the other is just vanilla. I don't really like the smokiness for a cake.

Your fondant would be fantastic with the flavour options! Wow.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm going to try it soon.

SophieBelle Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:17pm
post #44 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryl

Sounds great! Can't wait to try it!
What a great idea for some consistency in color- each time I try to reproduce a cake I seem to struggle with getting colors just right! And there's so much variety with the colors AND the flavors!
Good for you SophieBelle! icon_biggrin.gif

Caryl, that kitty cat is so cute I could faint.

I'm so glad some of you are enjoying this recipe! Whew! What a relief!

Jovigirl, I think there are some clear Jello flavors out there. I will check next time I'm at the store.

Do you guys think I should go ahead and post this in the Recipes section then?

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:30pm
post #45 of 90
Quote:

Jovigirl, I think there are some clear Jello flavors out there. I will check next time I'm at the store.

Do you guys think I should go ahead and post this in the Recipes section then?

Thank you!

Yes yes yes post it with the recipes thumbs_up.gif

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:31pm
post #46 of 90

Well it looks like another recipe to try. Thanks for the "jello" fondant.

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:35pm
post #47 of 90

Thank goodness for those like you, SophieBelle, who have creativity to invent and the generosity to share with the rest of us! I can't wait to try this out - it looks wonderful. Too bad they don't have those cool Jello flavours up here in Canada. I guess I'll just have to try with the regulars. Although, you could add coconut flavour to lime jello and have coconut lime! And the orange-pineapple would be delicious, and probably a very soft peachy colour. Oooh - time to get mixing!

And thanks again, SophieBelle, for sharing with us! thumbs_up.gif

SophieBelle Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:39pm
post #48 of 90

I am unreasonably happy right now! Thank you guys, for being so sweet.

icon_smile.gif

lilsis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilsis Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:46pm
post #49 of 90

can't wait to give this recipe a try....I haven't liked the taste of fondant yet but EVERYONE LOVES JELLO so this is definitely worth trying!!! Thanks!

carterl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carterl Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 6:47pm
post #50 of 90

This sounds like a great idea! Can you substitute corn syrup for the glycerine?

SophieBelle Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 7:45pm
post #51 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterl

This sounds like a great idea! Can you substitute corn syrup for the glycerine?

I don't think so, to be honest. I'm just thinking that since they are such different ingredients, one couldn't substitute for the other. But I made it without the glycerine with no problem, and someone above tried it without and said the same thing.

Personally, I think that if I were going to cover a cake with it, I would add the glycerine. If I were going to use it for embellishments or on cookies, I'd probably leave it out. I think you'd only need the stretch that glycerin gives if you are covering something.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 8:10pm
post #52 of 90

Go ahead & post it in the recipe's. I am so excited over this one. Thanks so much SopieBelle. Every one on CC is so wonderful about sharing.

SophieBelle Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 8:41pm
post #53 of 90

Well, I did it. I posted the recipe in the Recipes section. Boy, did that make me nervous! I realized it's a big responsibility posting a recipe--other people are relying on you to know what you're talking about and stuff!!!

Anyway, I don't know how long it will take for it to appear, but I'm excited! Thank you guys for being so nice.

Now, I'm hungry.....wish I had some cake...

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 9:59pm
post #54 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneprimalscream

hmm...that's what I bought them for! ROFL...I might have to try this fonant instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryjen

I used two different brands of MM and they tasted different. One has a smokey campfire flavour the other is just vanilla. I don't really like the smokiness for a cake.

I'd also like to add, don't use the cheap marshmallows for MMF! I used cheap marshmallows (not the Kraft) the other day and it smelled really gross...like old and stale, except the marshmallows weren't stale, and weren't set to expire for a couple of months! I was making black fondant so the cocoa powder I put in it helped, but the initial smell was just gross.

I'm going to stick with Kraft jet puffed marshmallows from now on...

SophieBelle, does your fondant dry up kind of hard? thanks!

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:12am
post #55 of 90

I have to agree with cryssi about the generic marshmellows. I tried them also and thought they smelled gross.

I actually make Toba Garret's fondant but will definatley give this a try.

Also thanks for the insight about glycerin, I didn't know what it did and have not used it at all.

lcdmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcdmarie Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:01am
post #56 of 90

Thank You,
I want to try this too.
I am taking the faondant class this month , I so excited.
thanks
marie

Julisa Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:44pm
post #57 of 90

icon_confused.gif I am waiting...when does the receipe post in the receipe page?

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:50pm
post #58 of 90

It's there. It's under SophieBelle's Jello Fondant

Julisa Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:57pm
post #59 of 90

icon_cry.gif I can't find it.. icon_cry.gif

mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 3:00pm
post #60 of 90
Quote:

I'll post it here, but I might still tweak it before I post it on the recipes page. I obviously need to word it like an actual recipe before I post it there!

I'm scared to post it, though, because some people are sure to hate it and then I'll feel like a dope.

I'm thinking it would be great for cookies. Anyway, here's what I've come up with:

One small packet Jello
Boiling water
1/4 cup
1 Tablespoon glycering
4 lbs confectioner's sugar
shortening for kneading

I placed the contents of the Jello packet in a glass one-cup measuring cup, then added boiling water to the 3/4 cup line. Stirred to dissolve. Added and glycerine to the cup and stirred until well dissolved. Let this mixture cool for about 5 minutes while sifting the sugar into a large glass bowl. Reserve some of this sugar for kneading.

Next, made a well in the sugar in the bowl and poured in the Jello mixture. Stirred with a spoon until the sugar was incorporated, then scraped it down and turned it out onto more powdered sugar. Kneaded it for a while and then shaped it into a ball, then set in a lightly greased bowl to rest, covered with plastic wrap.

After a few hours, greased the work surface with shortening and turned the fondant out onto the surface. Greased my hands and kneaded until the fondant felt right, adding shortening as needed. Wrapped in plastic and stored in covered plastic bowl.

Kids tasted it, proclaimed it 'yummy'.

Hope you guys like it. You may need to adjust it for your climate (may need more or less confectioner's sugar depending on humidity), but this really seems to work. I've tried rolling it out and it did fine. Not as easy to work with as, say, Wilton's, but it sure tastes better.

NOTE: Please try it out as practice before trying it on an order or anything important. I'd hate to hear that it ruined someone's cake!

Julisa this is the recipe that she came up with ....
By the way Thanks for sharing sounds great!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%