My Buttercream Tips

Decorating By sugarshack Updated 16 Mar 2014 , 2:50pm by loviescakes

jadeleaves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadeleaves Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:55am
post #391 of 575

Hi!

I've just made this buttercream this morning, and although it is only the 3rd time I have ever made buttercream, it is the best one out of the 3 recipes I tried icon_razz.gif Thank you sugarshack!

However, I seem to have problems with the actual icing sugar - it seems like I can taste undissolved icing sugar in my buttercream? I mixed it for the amount of time stated on the recipe, and tasted it, and mixed it somemore because someone told me I might not be mixing it enough, but after mixing for 10mins in total, the taste was still there? It wasn't gritty, because I used really fine icing sugar from a cake decorating shop and I know it is fine enough. Should I mix it more? At the 10minute mark I was starting to get air bubbles in my icing icon_sad.gif

Any help is muchly appreciated for this novice!

Cheers,

Jade.

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:37am
post #392 of 575

Just made Sugarshack's buttercream tonight and it is fantastic ! I LOVE the texture, the grease-less feel in the mouth and it spreads like a dream ! I experimented with the amount of milk to put in until I got a consistancy I liked!
I bought Sweetex for $4.25 for 2 lbs at a local cake supply shop, but now I'm gonna have to order some
Thanks Sugarshack for sharing and I think this thread is what CC is all about: sharing ideas, asking questions and learning more--Keep up the great work eveybody !!

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:01am
post #393 of 575

Okay has anyone tried this recipe with regular shortening? I may have missed this on the previous 28 pages! I have not been able to purchase hi ratio yet but have finally found a place that might carry it. Problem is I can't buy it in time to make the next bc I need to make but I want to try this recipe out! Thanks!

coreenag Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:50am
post #394 of 575

okay just finished reading through the entire thread.I had started with this when it first started but had missed so many pages I had to reread it again. I see that some have tried regular shortening so I will use this recipe for my cake tomorrow and hope for the best! Thanks for the great thread!

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:06am
post #395 of 575

coreenag, I was just getting ready to read the thread to see if I could find an answer to your question and you reply with the answer. Glad it pop up before I started reading the whole thread icon_lol.gif . I will wish you luck and hope for the best for you.

Apclassicwed, so happy to hear you Love Sharon's (sugarshacks) recipe, glad to see you joining in on the cha-cha line dance icon_biggrin.gif .

Jade, I don't know what could be causing you this trouble....maybe if Sharon or someone else see's yours question, they may have some answers that might help. I don't think it would need more mixing, I wish I knew the answer to this, I am so sorry that I am not much help to you.

God Bless,
Sharon

teamsterbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teamsterbabe Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 2:07pm
post #396 of 575

Hi Coreenag!!

I have tried SugarShacks frosting with Crisco.
It was very sweet. Great for a Birthday Cake was the vote around my house.

So I made it again and with 3 1/2 Cups of Crisco 1 Cup of Salted Butter and 1 Cup of Cream Cheese as the fat to cut the sweetness and everyone around here gave it the thumbs up.

The frosting still crusted up just like the original Sugar Shack recipe and smoothed out with the computer paper...I only have laser paper and a 6 inch spackle scraper...newbie, what can I say?...so that is what I am using on my daughters wedding cake and I am on my third practice cake!!

I see that you are probably making your cake now but I thought you might want know about the Crisco.
Happy Frosting
Ronni

coreenag Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 7:35pm
post #397 of 575

Thanks everyone. I made the icing using Crisco and yes it was on the sweet side but honestly when you had it on the cake it was good. It was a dream for how smooth it was though! Amazing.... really wish that I hadn't planned on covering it in fondant icon_cry.gif I wanted everyone to see how smooth it was. I think I found my new bc recipe and can't wait to get my hands on hi ratio! Thanks sugarshack! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

grannys3angels Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 9:08pm
post #398 of 575

Coreenag, it's nice to hear that you were so happy with Sugarshacks recipe & tips.....Welcome to the Sugarshack cha-cha line dance icon_lol.gif . I also can't wait for you to get your hi-ratio shortening....IMO it does make a big diffrence in the icing, but as I said that is IMO.

I do find that when I taste my icing it does taste some what sweet, but when I add it on the cake or cupcakes it seems to be just right. It's like it balances out some how.

Congrats on your out come of Sugarshack's recipe. party.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 10:02pm
post #399 of 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMike

Oh yea, Sugarshack Sharon,

I don't know if this may be something that could be happening when you're seemingly not getting notified of messages back on your threads, but it could be that you are only notified once if there is a message on there until you check it. If you delete the message without going to check, you won't receive any more notifications. Also you won't receive any more notifications until you use the first notification to go back to the thread. Am I making any sense here at all???

sadly no, I have no idea what you mean ...LOL and I am still not getting notifications. icon_sad.gif

grannys3angels Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 10:47pm
post #400 of 575

Hey Sharon, good to see ya. My goodness Lady you have been one busy bee.....I just saw your new up loaded cake photos.

They are all outstanding cakes and flawless as always. I have to say I LOVE LOVE all the details you did to your swamp cake. The trees and gators kick booty. I have never before seen water done in BC the way you did it on that cake, just amazing.....and your fondant peices always have neat, clean smooth cuts and lines to them. You for sure have the touch lady icon_smile.gif .

God Bless,
Sharon

AnneZA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnneZA Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 8:49pm
post #401 of 575

Why couldn't CakeCentral carry Sweetex, and Alpine high-ratio shortening? They'd have built in customers. We always want to support CakeCentral.

teamsterbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teamsterbabe Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 10:30pm
post #402 of 575

I found Sweetex shortening in Modesto which was the closest place to where I live. So if there is anyone out there who lives in the central valley of California that needs any theres the town to head toward.
I bought 9 lbs. of Sweetex. I don't think I got enough, I wish I had bought more but at least now that I know where it is.
So I didn't have to doctor up the Crisco like I did before for my daughter...
Oh my gosh what a difference it makes to the frosting...I am back to the orginal Sugar Shack Buttercream and hope she will forgive me for being stupid... icon_redface.gif

I also have a question: The woman at the cake store told me that Sweetex was made by Crisco and that they were going to have to keep an eye on it to make sure Crisco did mess around with the Sweetex "formula". She said something about the Trans fat being taken out of the Crisco and that frosting was sliding of the cakes in the classes she taught. And it wasn't until I was doing dishes today did I think about it and said to myself, "Self, why would they be using Crisco in a cake store that sells Sweetex?" I didn't have an answer. Then the next question was about the company who makes Sweetex. Is it Crisco? If so why would it be so different?
Sorry for all the weird questions. My mind tends to wander.

Happy Baking icon_biggrin.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 4:45am
post #403 of 575

icon_biggrin.gif I have a special folder in me e-mail says "SUGARSHACK" -- then sub folders "Sugarshack Chocolate" "Sugarshack Tips" "Sugarshack Notes" "Sugarshack's Cool Stuff" --- hee hee. 'Case CC is down!!! No Need to go without the Sugah!

This is a great thread. Thank you Sugarshack!! icon_lol.gif

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 12:19pm
post #404 of 575

Love this icing. Nice smooth texture, but I seem to have to use it right away.

I have a problem with air pockets in the icing after it has been sitting out for a while, but I reread this post (at least I think it was this one) and saw that Sharon said she keeps it wrapped in saran (which I had done) and in tupperwar air tight container (which I hadn't done). I hope that will fix my problem.

When I've rewhipped it, I get even more airpockets in it.

Cha cha cha

sugarshack Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 5:44pm
post #405 of 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

icon_biggrin.gif I have a special folder in me e-mail says "SUGARSHACK" -- then sub folders "Sugarshack Chocolate" "Sugarshack Tips" "Sugarshack Notes" "Sugarshack's Cool Stuff" --- hee hee. 'Case CC is down!!! No Need to go without the Sugah!

HAHAHA You are so sweet! You are going to make my head swell!!! icon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 5:47pm
post #406 of 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponacake

Love this icing. Nice smooth texture, but I seem to have to use it right away.

I have a problem with air pockets in the icing after it has been sitting out for a while, but I reread this post (at least I think it was this one) and saw that Sharon said she keeps it wrapped in saran (which I had done) and in tupperwar air tight container (which I hadn't done). I hope that will fix my problem.

When I've rewhipped it, I get even more airpockets in it.

Cha cha cha

I have had this problem in the past too. I have found:

1) sweetex brand is the best brand re: this issue

2) make sure the volume of icing is way above the paddle

3) use hot liquid

4) let that mixer rip for 7 minutes or more

5) scrape down the sides frquently while mixing.

6) the stiffer I make the icing, the more this problem wants to happen

onceuponacake Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 5:54pm
post #407 of 575

Its the last two...i'll try adding more liquid and scraping the sides..

thanks bunches!

grannys3angels Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 6:46pm
post #408 of 575

Thanks for thoses tips Sharon, your the best thumbs_up.gif

I agree with you on #6, seems to happen to me also if I make a much stiffer batch, but I have learn the more I make this icing the better I get at making it and the more I learn.

I LOVE this recipe and will never go back to the old bc I use to make. Again I want to say a big THANK YOU! for all that you have share with us, I have learn so much from you & your tips.

You are a person with a big heart who has been so giving as to share tips, recipe, help, when & where ever you can. I am so thankful I found CC & You & this thread, for you have help me to make a better icing icon_biggrin.gif .

God Bless You & Yours,
Sharon

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 9:32pm
post #409 of 575

OH but this thread may never end. Sugarshack if you are not already you should be a professional instructor!!! I will certainly be attending your classes if you have any!! icon_biggrin.gif BTW love the wedding bouquet emulsion. Thanks.

sugarshack Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 9:34pm
post #410 of 575

Thanks Lenore! You are so kind!

Funny you should say that, cuz I have some classes and stuff in the works... icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 9:37pm
post #411 of 575

Thanks granny Sharon! (hugs)

one more thought, ya'll.... I have found I get different results with different brands of PS. I use the brand sold at Rouse's ( local grocery) and i get fantastic results. Used wal mart brand a few weeks back and it was a nightmare.... so maybe ya'll can try different ones of that too.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 5:55am
post #412 of 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneZA

Why couldn't CakeCentral carry Sweetex, and Alpine high-ratio shortening? They'd have built in customers. We always want to support CakeCentral.

Can't CC stock up on some of that yummy Wedding Bouquet, too???? What about all us poor Western'ers that have no access to awesome flavors like that?

Hey Sugah - perhaps you could put this ladies' store info here on this thread or better yet--just PM it to me?---so I can call her direct? HMM??? I'll BETCH'YA she'd send it over to me via USPS and then I could indeed finally be doing the Sugarshack CHA CHA CHA!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif PUHLEEZE

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 12:16pm
post #413 of 575

GI wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Hey Sugah - perhaps you could put this ladies' store info here on this thread or better yet--just PM it to me?---so I can call her direct? HMM??? I'll BETCH'YA she'd send it over to me via USPS and then I could indeed finally be doing the Sugarshack CHA CHA CHA!!

Here's the info to order the Wedding Bouquet:
Miss Sandra

B & B CAKE DECORATING SUPPLIES Ph: 9855428079
13096 SHANNON LN

HAMMOND, LA 70401-6138

And here's Sugarshack's thread regarding the Wedding Bouquet:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-418353-0.html

I called her and ordered. She is happy to ship.

onceuponacake Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 12:54pm
post #414 of 575

my turn to order! cha cha cha

grannys3angels Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 10:54pm
post #415 of 575

Your Welcome Sharon and hugs back at ya!

WOW! that Sugarshack Cha-Cha dance line is getting longer icon_smile.gif . I must say everyone Cha-Cha's very nicely!!

Question:
Do any of you ladies find yourself saying the words, Cha-Cha-Cha CHA! when making sugarshacks icing? I have cought myself doing that when making the icing, even to my 4 yr. grand daughter does it, guess she pick that up from me he-he-he. Its like the icing has it's own theme song icon_lol.gif . O.K. thats my one crazy thought for the week, stay tune to the soap "Like The Paddle In A KA Turns, So Do The Crazy Thoughts Inside My Head" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Well now that my crazyness is out of the way, If it be the Lords will and I am able, I hope to get to order 2 8oz. bottles of the WB Flavoring this weekend. I can't wait to give it a try.
Till later happy decorating ladies thumbs_up.gif
God Bless,
Sharon

onceuponacake Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 1:16am
post #416 of 575

i figured id be lazy today and use the Crisco I had instead of sweetex..DISASTER the icing came out gritty..i was going to use it for icing under fondant but it was way too gritty..i used walmart brand sugar and i think the combo was bad

made a new batch with brand sugar and sweetex and came out great.
i scraped the sides, put in tupperware so i will see tomorrow about air pockets hehee

sugarshack Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 1:19am
post #417 of 575

Let me know how it looks tomorrow please! thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 2:51am
post #418 of 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Do you have the links to those threads??? (I hope I hope...) icon_rolleyes.gif

grannys3angels Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 3:10am
post #419 of 575

YEA!!!! party.gif I got to order two 8oz. bottles of the WB flavoring today, I can't to get it and try it out.

God Bless,
Sharon

onceuponacake Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 3:17pm
post #420 of 575

Okay, I put plastic on top of buttercream which was in tupperware bowl and sealed it with lid.

When I opened it today, two days after making it, it had not crusted and was pretty smooth. Of course, I started mixing it in the tupperware bowl with spatula and it started getting air pockets so I stopped.

Sharon, how do you rewhip it? With mixer, in KA?

The rest of this icing was for a sample cake so it wasn't a biggie. It was still pretty smooth.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%