My Buttercream Tips

Decorating By sugarshack Updated 16 Mar 2014 , 2:50pm by loviescakes

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 5:09pm
post #451 of 575

I was going to ask if you turn it off while you scrape the bowl and I forgot! Thanks for reading my mind Sharon! icon_wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingSugar

You can order sweetex from www.thebakerskitchen.com by the pound. The cost is $1.89 per pound and shipping is not really bad. This company packs it very well and it is sent in just a couple of days. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much! It helps a LOT!! thumbs_up.gif

Anya

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 6:22pm
post #452 of 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingSugar

You can order sweetex from www.thebakerskitchen.com by the pound. The cost is $1.89 per pound and shipping is not really bad. This company packs it very well and it is sent in just a couple of days. Hope this helps.

thhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaankssss!!!!.... icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 7:06pm
post #453 of 575

Just wanted to share what I think is the best cake I have done so far with Sharon icing recipe & tips.....this cake turn out sooooo smooth and I am so happy with it, I also used the WB flavoring that we think is very very yummyyyy!!!! thumbs_up.gif

I feel that the more I fool with this icing and the tips the more I learn about it, Thank You Sharon for the recipe, tips and the info for Miss Sandra and her WB flavoring. Wish my picture was more clearer, sorry.
God Bless,
Sharon
LL

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 7:09pm
post #454 of 575

Sharon, your cake looks awesom! Fondant can't be any more smooth than your buttercream is!! I too love this recipe and am enjoying using it. I love your cake!!!

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 7:33pm
post #455 of 575

Sugarshack, thank you for this recipe. I did use the WB and it adds a great flavor. I haven't gotten the smoothing part down to T, still fooling around with the consitancy to see what works best. I am not able to use the paper it seems to stick all the time. I can't seem to not spritz with water either when smoothing. The taste is truly wonderful though.

i would like to add a tip I use with this seeing as the bowl is so full and with my KA I don't get the funnel in the middle to move it from top to bottom and bottom to top. If you have the KA with tha handle that moves the bowl up and down for mixing, move the bowl down slightly so the frosting at the top gets a good mix. Keep it under the paddle and alternate up and down so that it gets a good mix all over.

Kat

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 7:40pm
post #456 of 575

Slowly moving the bowl up and down while the mixer is running is how I get the air out of my bc too. It works!

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:50am
post #457 of 575

Granny Sharon - I absolutely love your cake!!! I hope you don't mind if I try to copy it for my hairdresser's birthday. It's not until next August (200icon_cool.gif, a little late for this year, but.....

Thanks to both Sharons! The sharing of your talents with the "fledglings" is so great! Just a sampling of all of the wonderful people here at CCC!!!

grannys3angels Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 1:21pm
post #458 of 575

Thank You so very much Teekakes & LadyMike for you wonderful comments on the cake....I have to say I was so happy with the way it turn out and happy with my self also icon_biggrin.gif I did the Sugarshack Cha-Cha all the way to the salon, which is a 35 min. drive.

LadyMike, I don't mind at all if you what to copy it, makes me feel good to know that you like it enough to what to copy it icon_smile.gif I make this cake to say thank you to my hairdresser because I have miss so many appointments with him this year, due to being sick & also due to a aging mind (lol), and he has always been so good about making me another appointment.

Katwomen1up, you are doing the right thing when it comes to fooling with this recipe (IMO), because to me it seems that the more you fool with it the more you will learn about it and the way that works for you, when it comes to the consitancy you like.

WOW Sharon, thanks for the extra info on mixing the icing, it will come in handy....you are such a Wonderful! person to share all of this & your tips with everyone.
God Bless,
Sharon

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 2:01pm
post #459 of 575

Oh, how I've been waiting to find this post! I can't wait to try this.

Thanks so much Sharon!!!!

teamsterbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teamsterbabe Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:11pm
post #460 of 575

I made my daughters wedding cake and used Sugar Sharons Recipe and EVERYONE raved!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
I said it's "Sugar Sharons" ButterCream and they all thought I was nuts but then who doesn't...but I digress...it went on so smooth. I used a 69 cent spackle knife and then the paper towel thing and the copy paper trick and it was wonderful!!
Had no problems at all. I also did the "Cha Cha" and thought my hubby would come out of his chair when I started singing "Sugar Sharon ChaChaCha...Sugar Sharon ChaChaCha!" when my wrists started giving out doing the cornelli lace. Boy is that HARD! icon_eek.gif Never did that before. Well, never made a wedding cake before. It was a series of firsts! icon_lol.gif When I get home...I am house sitting and my daughter took the camera on the honeymoon and of course the cake pictures are on it! she will be back on Sunday... I will post a picture of "my baby" so you can see what you have been cheering me on to do!!

Thank you, thankyou thankyou!!!!
Ronni

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 1:31pm
post #461 of 575

Wow....I found this thread by looking up something else last night and read most of it last night and finished it this morning!!

I haven't tried this recipe yet, but am also a convert from Crisco to high ratio. I currently use Alpine, have never tried Sweetex.

Has anyone tried cutting the shortening in this recipe? Currently I use 3/4 cup per 1lb of Powdered Sugar.

Sugarshack - did you ever get a kitchen scale? My cheat sheet on my Salter says that 1 cup of shortening is 7 oz, but I have never measured out my high ratio, I'm curious if it weighs the same as Crisco per volume?

Since I don't have the Wedding Bouquet and want to use flavoring that will always be available, what has everyone used and in what quantities? I currently use 1t of popcorn salt per batch of 4lb powdered sugar plus vanilla extract, almond extract, creme bouquet, and butter extract.

Thanks!!

Now.....what was it that I originally came looking for last night...I cannot remember!!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 1:36pm
post #462 of 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdrsolo

Has anyone tried cutting the shortening in this recipe? Currently I use 3/4 cup per 1lb of Powdered Sugar.

I have tried a lower ratio and just did not care for it personally; but you go with what works for you!

Sugarshack - did you ever get a kitchen scale? My cheat sheet on my Salter says that 1 cup of shortening is 7 oz, but I have never measured out my high ratio, I'm curious if it weighs the same as Crisco per volume?

Nope; keep forgetting about it ,LOL. I use generous cups too, not exact. one day i will scoop it out and weigh it... one day.LOL

Now.....what was it that I originally came looking for last night...I cannot remember!!

LOL thumbs_up.gif

sugarshack Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 1:37pm
post #463 of 575

Granny your cake looks fantatsic!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Ronni... LOL... sooo happy it worked out well for you! icon_biggrin.gif

vdrsolo Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:18pm
post #464 of 575

Sugarshack - order your scale today!

You will absolutely LOVE it! I rarely use a measuring cup anymore. It is so nice for shortening, no more cleaning out the cups. I love it for powdered sugar too, I get the 7lb bags from Sam's and meaure into a gallon pitcher and pour it into my icing.

sugarshack Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:11pm
post #465 of 575

i guess i better go internet shopping eh?

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

grannys3angels Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:14pm
post #466 of 575

Thank You so very much Sharon for the comment on my cake, I was so so very pleased with how it came out. I wish the picture was as clear on here and it is in my picture file, guess it as to do with the having to resize the picture.

O.K. everyone let me tell you something funny and a big DUH moment for me doing with this icing. I have made this icing for months, but noticed the last few times I made it there was something just not right about it. Now I know this and I know it shouldn't be like this, but everyone else said it was awesome (I think maybe they didn't want to hurt my feelings). Well I found out what I was doing wrong for the last few batches I had made.

DUH, DUH another huge DUHHHH! I was putting 5 cups of hi-ratio and 5 1/2 cups PS....talk about feeling like such a fool, I did and was icon_lol.gif I am going to have to tape the recipe up on my cabinet door it looks like....ohhh aging, it does not do wonders to the mind icon_lol.gif

Vdrsolo, I use Alpine hi-ratio shortening because it is all that I can right now...I pay $28.25 for 50 pounds, some friends we know have a store and they order it for me...but they can't get the Sweetex. I would love to try this recipe with the Sweetex, but it has done good for me with the Alpine. I flavor this recipe with the WB flavoring now that I have some of it, but I also still flavor it with my other flavorings (it's nice to have 2 to pick from he he he). The other way I flavor this icing is with 4 tablespoons of Wilton Butter Flavoring & 1 tablespoon of French Vanilla Blend, when I do this flavoring I will use the French Vanilla Flavor powder coffee mate creamer. When I flavor the icing with the WB Flavor, I do just as Sharon does it. Hope this helps you out.
I LOVE THIS ICING!!!!
God Bless,
Sharon

vdrsolo Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 9:02pm
post #467 of 575
Quote:
Quote:

DUH, DUH another huge DUHHHH! I was putting 5 cups of hi-ratio and 5 1/2 cups PS....talk about feeling like such a fool, I did and was I am going to have to tape the recipe up on my cabinet door it looks like....ohhh aging, it does not do wonders to the mind

I'm hoping you mean 5 1/2 lbs of powdered sugar, not 5 1/2 cups!!

grannys3angels Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:18am
post #468 of 575

icon_lol.gif Yet another DUH moment icon_redface.gif , yes vdrsolo thats what I mean.

It should say "I was putting 5 cups of hi-ratio and 5 1/2 pounds of PS"....Thank You so so very much vdrsolo for pointing that out to me, so sorry everyone for that big mess up.
God Bless,
Sharon

vdrsolo Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:37am
post #469 of 575

Sugarshack....did you order your scale today??

And don't say you didn't have time! Think about how long it takes to measure shortening and clean those cups!!

I use mine everyday (even for accurate weighing of mailing packages to the 1/4 oz so I don't have to go to the post office, I just buy my postage on PayPal).

sugarshack Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:56am
post #470 of 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdrsolo

Sugarshack....did you order your scale today??

And don't say you didn't have time! Think about how long it takes to measure shortening and clean those cups!!

I use mine everyday (even for accurate weighing of mailing packages to the 1/4 oz so I don't have to go to the post office, I just buy my postage on PayPal).

hahahahaha no I did not and Ijust scooped a whole batch oficing! icon_surprised.gif link me to a good one if you please! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

vdrsolo Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:25am
post #471 of 575

this is the one I have and love it, I got mine at Linens and Things a couple of years ago and used a 20% coupon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007KMN7/?tag=cakecentral-20

I don't see this model at LNT anymore, but I see an even better one! It looks like it is the upgrade to this (I don't think this was available when I purchased mine), because this one measures to 1/8 oz as the one above only goes to 1/4 oz (which is very sufficient unless you are doing very small quantities). They both measure up to 11lbs.

http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2545350&cp&sr=1&origkw=salter&kw=salter&parentPage=search

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000698A66/?tag=cakecentral-20

ok, no excuses!

sugarshack Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:47am
post #472 of 575

Ok i ordered it yay! no more messy measuring cups!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

vdrsolo Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 4:19am
post #473 of 575

you are going to love it!

Which one did you get?

sugarshack Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:29pm
post #474 of 575

the first one. I liked that big flat area....

grannys3angels Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 6:50pm
post #475 of 575

Good for you Sharon thumbs_up.gif ...I know you have been wanting to get you a scale for a while. Now you know what that means....you will have to up date us on how to do the recipe by weight icon_biggrin.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

vdrsolo Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 8:05pm
post #476 of 575

My cheat sheet says shortening is 7oz per cup.

So if she uses 5.5 cups....thats 38.5 oz.....or 2 lbs, 6.5 oz

sugarshack Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:06pm
post #477 of 575

true but I dont scoop it out very precicley, i am a little generous with my cups so we will see!

kirin1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirin1 Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 10:56pm
post #478 of 575

when you say 1 flavoring . How much do you use for each recipe. and can you use clear vanilla ? also you say you make a liquid from powdered coffee creamer, how much do you use in one recipe?
I am trying your recipe for the first time and I don't know how much of these two things to use.
Thank You for your help
Kirin1 usaribbon.gificon_smile.gif

grannys3angels Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 6:49am
post #479 of 575

Kirin1, when I make a full batch of this icing, using my own flavorings (butter & french vanilla blend) I will use 4 tablespoons of butter flavoring & 1 tablespoon of the french vanilla blend and I will use french vanilla powder creamer with these flavorings.When using the WB flavoring I use 5 tablespoons as does Sharon (sugarshack), and I use plain powder coffee creamer with the water.

It really depends on how much taste of the flavoring you want that you will be using. Try a little flavoring and if you feel it needs more taste of the flavoring add a little more, till you get a taste that you are happy with.

Yes, you could use the vanilla flavoring or any other kind of flavoring you like. I have also use Butavan, cherry, orange and strawberry flavorings with this recipe. As for the powder coffee creamer, I will mix up a 1/2 cup of creamer with 1/2 cup of hot water...this gives me about 14 tablespoons of liquid, this gives me the texture I like to use. If I what my texture a little thinner I will mix up another 1/3 cup of powder creamer with another 1/3 cup of hot water and use 2 or more tablespoons to get the thinner texture I am looking for.

I have found that I use the 14 tablespoons of liquid almost always....this has been the texture that works for me....it is really what you like as texture that will depend on if you need more or less tablespoons of liquid. Maybe Sharon (Sugarshack) might be able to help you out more when she sees your post. I hope I did this in a way to where you can understand what I am saying....and that it helps you.
God Bless,
Sharon

p.s. when mixing up your liquid always use the same amount of powder creamer and hot water. EXP: ( 1 cup creamer to 1 cup hot water) or (1/2 cup creamer to 1/2 cup hot water.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 3:52pm
post #480 of 575

Boy oh boy, am I the only one who is watching this topic and NOT getting any updates??? I don't understand what the problem is... icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%