Eucalyptus...

Decorating By TPDC Updated 23 Sep 2017 , 7:43pm by SandraSmiley

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:03am
post #1 of 22

I didn't think it was edible (non-toxic) but I wanted to get a majority vote on this one.

It was not on the list of non-toxic flowers, so am I correct that I should not be putting it on a cake?

21 replies
TPDC Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:29am
post #2 of 22

Bump...

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:36am
post #3 of 22

I have a book that has instructions for making Eucalyptus out of gum paste or fondant if you're interested?

TPDC Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 3:20am
post #4 of 22

My bride wants fresh flowers, but wants the sage of the eucalyptus brought into the flower arrangement on top of the cake. Do you know if they are hard to make? Or does anyone have any other ideas about incorporting sage into the flower arrangement?

I mentioned sage on the cake for some more accents, didn't want that, she wanted an all white/ivory cake. So, any other ideas?

It is going to be a BEAUTIFUL cake, even without the sage, but I want to give the bride what she wants.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 3:36am
post #5 of 22

If by sage you mean the color I don't think that's a problem. I just looked in the book I previously mentioned titled Floral Wedding Cakes & Sprays by Alan Dunn. The instructions are pretty simple to make your own Eucalyptus and I'm sure you could make quite a few sprays in no time at all.

If you pm me I will type up the instructions for you. You will need the following mateials & equipment:

Very pale holy/ivy flower paste
20,26 and 28 gauge wires
Petal Dusts

Circle Cutters
Rose Petal Cuttes
Florist Tape

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 4:58am
post #6 of 22

From what I have read it is poisonous. It is harmful to animals and a plant on the list to keep from children.

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 5:03am
post #7 of 22

You know, they put eucalyptus in cough and cold stuff, so I woudl think that it would be okay BUT... I use to have a eucalyptus tree beside my back deck and let me tell you, it was overwhelming. The smell stunk up the whole joint if I had been trimming hedges or doing landscaping. I had plenty of other herbs in the area as well, but man, the eucalyptus was a big growing pile of stink. I would not want that on my cake.

Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 5:13am
post #8 of 22

Eucalyptus (or as we call them in Oz... gum trees) these are EVERYWHERE here... can't turn around without practically bumping into one!

Anyways... as for poisonous - I haven't heard of any that should be kept clear of - having said that though, eucalyptus oil (like you have for cough syrups etc) are extensively distilled from the leaves. As a rule of thumb as a kid, we were told not to touch anything with a white sap - they wouldn't kill you, but you might get sick (I lived in the bush so there were trees EVERYWHERE along with their friends GREAT BIG FAT HAIRY SPIDERS -who lived in their bark).

Anyways... I digress... I wouldn't personally put a fresh part of any gum tree on a cake... but that's a personal choice - if you are able to re-create them from icing I think this would be the safest. There are so many varieties of eucalypts so it really does depend on which tree you are going to use.

Hope this helps a little

-- Fi

TPDC Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 22

Thank you everyone for your replies.

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 5:26pm
post #10 of 22

If I'm thinking correctly, my cousin used to make floral arrangements with eucalyptus in them. They smelled really really bad. Almost like cat urine. Wouldn't want that on a cake icon_surprised.gif

TiggerWazzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiggerWazzu Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 5:34pm
post #11 of 22

I have a friend who had headaches for years EVERY DAY because it turns out she is alergic to eucalyptus and it was used in her shampoo. The tricky part about using real/fresh anything is that while not toxic to all of us, it may be an allergen to some of us.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla505 Posted 20 Sep 2017 , 10:16pm
post #13 of 22

Hey Cookie4! I know this post was a long time ago but are you still willing to share your instructions for making eucalyptus leaves? If its easier to email- [email protected].

Thanks!

Marla

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Sep 2017 , 2:24am
post #14 of 22

Two things, I think a little bit of eucalyptus smells fresh and delightful, nothing like cat urine and here is a tutorial on how to make gum paste eucalyptus, which is super easy.

https://www.facebook.com/intricateicingscakedesign/videos/vb.243474119173/10154844488889174/?type=2&theater

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 21 Sep 2017 , 3:36am
post #15 of 22

You can probably find some fake eucalyptus leaves with fake stems. Some people use the plastic flowers on their cakes but I am not sure where you could buy them. Probably just google it. If cookie 4 is going to give you instructions she said it is pretty simple to make so maybe you should try to make them. Good luck, you can do it!!!

Marla505 Posted 21 Sep 2017 , 3:05pm
post #16 of 22

Gosh that video link won't let me look at it!  Darn!  They definitely want gumpaste or fondant eucalyptus. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Sep 2017 , 7:03pm
post #17 of 22

Sandra, that link is no longer available.  Can you give another link?

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Sep 2017 , 12:10am
post #18 of 22

I don't know why this link did not work for you guys because I have it playing as we speak.  Let's try again....

https://www.facebook.com/intricateicingscakedesign/videos/vb.243474119173/10154844488889174/?type=2&theater

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Sep 2017 , 12:11am
post #19 of 22

I just clicked on the first link on this page and it went right to the video.  Don't know what went wrong,

Marla505 Posted 22 Sep 2017 , 1:39am
post #20 of 22

I went directly to Intricate Icing's website and was able to access the video. It is awesome! Thank you! Problem solved

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Sep 2017 , 6:31pm
post #21 of 22

I get a page that says 'sorry, can't go to that page.  It may be only available to specific audiences" or words to that effect.

SandraSmiley Posted 23 Sep 2017 , 7:43pm
post #22 of 22

Try this one @kakeladi ‍.  This takes you directly to her website and the first item is the tutorial.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%