What's The Difference?????

Decorating By cakinqueen Updated 15 Mar 2006 , 8:11pm by crisseyann

cakinqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakinqueen Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 4:27am
post #1 of 4

This might be a dumb question but what is the difference with all the dust? There is luster, pearl, disco and petal dust ( I am sure there are more) but how do you know which one to use. I am slowly learnign gumpaste flowers. I have some luster dust. I think I also have powdered food colors can I use them on gumpaste flowers?

3 replies
Adelia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adelia Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 4

That a great question....i've been wondering the same thing. The other tihing I want to know is do you brush the dust on dry or do u always have to mix it with something and then paint it on.

cakinqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakinqueen Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 4

This is something the all knowing SquirrellyCakes sent to me. I do know you can use dry or mixed with lemon extract or high alchol clear vodka depends on the lookd u want.

LUSTER (LUSTRE) DUSTS
Give a metallic sheen. Available in a huge range of colors. Not water soluble.
If they contain Iron Blue or Chromium Oxide, they must be labeled for Decorative use only. In some countries they are considered edible, others not. Mix with clear alcohol or oil based flavorings or use dry.

SPARKLE DUSTS
Just like lustre dusts, but larger grain size. Same rule, mix with clear alcohol or oil based flavorings or use dry. Used more in the dry form for sprinkling on cakes. Can be crushed into a smaller grain size.

PEARL DUSTS
Pearl finish with a hint of color. These are water soluble and can be mixed with water, alcohol, or oil based flavorings or used dry. Can be used in addition to other finishes.

PETAL DUSTS
Various colors to give the most realistic finish to your flowers, these have a matte finish. Can be used in combination with other finishes. For instance, brushed or painted on and then lustre or pearl dusts applied. Petal dusts are water soluble and can be mixed with water; alcohol or oil based flavorings or used dry.

Check in your locality to see if these items are considered safe for consumption or for decorative purposes only. The rules vary from country to country.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for taking the time to post this, cakinqueen. I always seem to get the various dusts confused. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%