Looking For A Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting..

Baking By FromScratch Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 4:28pm by asul

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 14

I made one a couple weeks ago, but it was really thick.. Does anyone have a recipe for a fluffy cream cheese frosting?

Thanks so much for any help!! icon_smile.gif

13 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 14
christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 14

Here is mine: In mixer bowl combine: 1 8z. brick softened cream cheese, 1 cup Hi-ratio shortening (crisco will do if you can't get hi-ratio, but it won't be as airy)
Beat for about 3-5 minutes at med. speed. Stop mixer and add Magic Line's Vanilla Butter flavoring (or 1 tsp. butter extract and 1 tsp. vanilla extract) Beat for another minute. Add a 2 lb. bag of powdered sugar that you have added 1 Tsp. of white popcorn salt to. Add 4-6 TBS. heavy whipping cream alternate with powdered sugar until you get the consistency you want. I let the mixer go for about 5 minutes on med. speed. Enjoy!

FromScratch Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks for the suggestions.. do you think if I used butter instead of the shortening it would change the texture too much? Shortening isn't my favorite ingredient.. Thanks for any input. icon_smile.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:04am
post #5 of 14

Does it have to crust ? if not I have a fabulous non-shortening recipe.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:21am
post #6 of 14

Butter has a lot more liquid than hi-ratio shortening, so it would change the texture.

The hi-ratio shortening has emulsifiers which make the frosting light and fluffy.

It also has other qualities - like not having that cloying, greasy Crisco mouth feel.

Here are hi-ratio frosting threads:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-57790-.html
(Has info on Brite White/Angel White icing base.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-102521-.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-34464.html

HTH

FromScratch Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 14

No.. it doesn't have to crust.. I'd prefer if it didn't actually.

thanks JanH for the shortening info. I have never used the hi-ratio stuff and there's no way I could get some before I have to make this cake (for Easter). I'll definitely give it a try though when I have the time.

snarkybaker Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 10:25pm
post #8 of 14

24 oz. cream cheese
4 T. Butter
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. heavy cream or ( even better IMO) 1/4 c. heavy cream and 1/4 c. coco lopez

1/2 t. salt

In KA with paddle attachement beat together sugar, butter and cream cheese until well combined. Add cream(s) and salt. Beat like a red headed step child, at least two minutes, 5 is better, or until fluffy.

FromScratch Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 12:50am
post #9 of 14

OMG txkat.. I almost spewed out my nose.. beat like red headed step child.. icon_lol.gif That sounds AWESOME and just what I am looking for thank you so much! I'm going to try it with the coco lopez.. mmmm.

FromScratch Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:41am
post #10 of 14

And I also have to say YUM!!! That frosting is SOOOOOOOOO good. Nice and sweet and tangy and just to die for. It's PERFECT. This is my new favorite cream cheese frosting! My DH loves it too. Thank you so much for sharing this with me.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 9:04pm
post #11 of 14

I'll just throw this in as well: if you have Toba Garrett's Book "the Well Decorated Cake", it has the tastiest cream cheese frosting recipe ever! icon_biggrin.gif

snarkybaker Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 12:31am
post #12 of 14

icon_biggrin.gif I am glad you like it !!

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 8:11pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I'll just throw this in as well: if you have Toba Garrett's Book "the Well Decorated Cake", it has the tastiest cream cheese frosting recipe ever! icon_biggrin.gif

help I need this recipe!!!!!!!!!!!

asul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asul Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:28pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks 4 the recipe txkat thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%