The Incredibles

Decorating By susanmm23 Updated 19 Apr 2005 , 7:35pm by veejaytx

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 5:27pm
post #31 of 44

ok so i jsut emailed her staff through her web site. we will see what kind of response i get. in the email i put i understood fully i they refused to share her secrets. just curious to see what they say if i even get a reponse. i will let you guys know.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 6:42pm
post #32 of 44

Susan...I hope they answer. Collette teaches classes on how to do these though so they may just tell you to take a class! I hope not. They're pricey! I opened the pic of the cake up and drew some lines. I think I kind of got an idea of how she did it.

The original pic is here
http://www.colettescakes.com/imgs_wed/noitdidntfallover.jpg

The large black line going down through the center and the pink lines are dowels. I know it's not perfect. There would be more pink dowels and the cakes aren't perfectly outlined but it's just to give an idea. Dawn...do you think that's close?

missjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missjane Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 7:02pm
post #33 of 44

lol I have a feeling not all of that cake is actually "cake". Some of Colettes creations involve using a sugar mold for the top tier. The sugar mold is then covered in fondant to look like cakeicon_smile.gif

She also seems to use wedges of Styrofoam between the cakes instead of actually cutting the cake on an angle. So the cake is sitting on the slanted surface of the wedge giving the appreance it is crooked. (The styrofome is then covered with all those flowers and bows so you cant see it)

Hope I make sense!icon_smile.gif

Lisa Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 7:53pm
post #34 of 44

That definately makes sense. So each place where the cake outlines overlap, that could be a styrofoam wedge. It could be done with all cake though don't you think?

susanmm23 Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 8:01pm
post #35 of 44

wow lisa thank you so much. i was trying to just draw it out on paper. it never occured to me to actually do that to the picture. my mind just doesnt work like that. lol i have thought about using foam or plastice. i saw that on the birthday cake competion on food network.

i havent recieved a response yet but im sure it may take a few days.

Lisa Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 8:09pm
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmm23

wow lisa thank you so much. i was trying to just draw it out on paper. it never occured to me to actually do that to the picture. my mind just doesnt work like that. lol

I was driving myself batty trying to figure it out in my head!

Lisa Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 9:23pm
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjane

She also seems to use wedges of Styrofoam between the cakes instead of actually cutting the cake on an angle. So the cake is sitting on the slanted surface of the wedge giving the appreance it is crooked. (The styrofome is then covered with all those flowers and bows so you cant see it)
Hope I make sense!icon_smile.gif

missjane...I looked at the cake again to see where there might be wedges. I think your right! It would be so much easier than cutting the cakes. Thanks so much for telling us that! Here's a pic of where I thought the wedges might be.

http://www.colettescakes.com/imgs_wed/noitdidntfallover.jpg

susanmm23 Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 11:03pm
post #38 of 44

oh boy yeah that is so much easier. why didnt we think of that. you guys rock. thak you soooo much.

ok so i got a replie from colette. she says its not that she doesnt want to share her secrets but she has writen 5 books and they are all in there. so basically she says go buy my books. i can understand that.

Lisa Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 11:42pm
post #39 of 44
Quote:

oh boy yeah that is so much easier. why didnt we think of that. you guys rock. thak you soooo much.

I think it's easier too. I'm not sure if that is really where the wedges might be. There are a few possibilities but it's my best guess.

Quote:

ok so i got a replie from colette. she says its not that she doesnt want to share her secrets but she has writen 5 books and they are all in there. so basically she says go buy my books. i can understand that.

I can understand that too.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 11:44pm
post #40 of 44

Well, maybe you should email again and tell her thanks for nothing...we might buy her books if they weren't so $#@@expensive. Looks to me like you all have pretty much got it figured out, anyway, you don't need her help!

Janice

susanmm23 Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 5:23pm
post #41 of 44

yeah i guess she is in it for the money. on her web site it says there is a minimun of $500.00 order. so every cake she sells is at least $500.00. OH that makes me sick. i wish i could sell hundreds of cakes for $500.00 a piece.

missjane Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 5:48pm
post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa

It could be done with all cake though don't you think?

Probably is cake Lisaicon_smile.gif But I guess you could certainly use something else too!icon_smile.gif

BTW: You got it spot on with the wedges too! I thought there might be a wedge between the 1st and 2nd tier but the more i look at it the more i think there isnt!icon_smile.gif

missjane Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 5:55pm
post #43 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

Well, maybe you should email again and tell her thanks for nothing...we might buy her books if they weren't so $#@@expensive. Looks to me like you all have pretty much got it figured out, anyway, you don't need her help!

Janice

Janice, I buy her booksicon_smile.gif The latest one is 26 bucks on Amazon. It was cheaper than one of the Wiltons course I did which taught me very little in terms of creativity.

You can get used copies too if that helpsicon_smile.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 7:35pm
post #44 of 44

Hey MissJane! I had been shopping to find at least one of Collette's books, but now I'm not too sure I even want one...there are so many out there to choose from other than hers. I mean, the information is already public, looks like they could at least given a little help, or a reference where to find what she needs in a book, instead of just telling her to go buy a book! Most people who are on top of their field can afford to be more gracious.

I've pretty much struck on the Wilton books too, there is so much advertising for their products! I just got my first issue of American Cake Decorating, and it is full of advertising too, but at least it is for lots of different products! Janice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%