Mmf Too Soft

Decorating By potatocakes Updated 9 Mar 2006 , 6:02pm by potatocakes

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 7

I've made MMF for the second time and wanted to attempt to make some roses with it. It's so soft, though, that the petals just droop and fall together. What am I doing wrong? It's not sticky at all, but I think maybe I incorporated too much Crisco into it while kneading it. Is there a way to stiffen this up a bit, or should I toss it and start over? What's the correct consistency for MMF? Should it be fairly stiff, but still workable, so that it holds the shapes better? Thanks!

6 replies
potatocakes Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 7

Anyone? icon_smile.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 7

It isn't necessary to add crisco to MMF. However, now that it is in, you can add gum-tex, tylose, or blend it with gumpaste. That will help it harden faster. You can also try a bit more sugar.

One more thing I tried that seemed to work-is once I cut the petals, I shaped them but before I tried to add it to the base, I let it dry on the table for a few minutes. Then, hang the flower upside down.

Lightning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lightning Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 7

Its kinda wierd, but you can add dehydrated milk powder and itll help absorb the crisco/moisture and give it more stiffness. Also, it shouldnt affect flavor icon_smile.gif

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 7

I think you're fine. Just let it rest a bit. Also, add some gumtext or tylos to the section that you're working with for the roses. I've done roses with MMF before and had a minor amount of difficulty with fresh, soft MMF but if you let it set a bit and do the roses in layers, they'll turn out beautiful. I think I have apicture in my photos of the 2 tiered cake I did MMF roses on.

Dia

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 7

Yes I agree with barefoot_contessa... even when I had really soft MMF it got stiff on it's own when it just sat out on the counter in a plastic bag for a while... I always have to microwave it for a few secs when I need it again, it becomes too hard...

potatocakes Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 7

The Crisco got into it from where I had greased the countertop when I first started kneading the MMF. I greased it pretty heavily, along with my hands (per the instructions) and I think it just made it too soft. Thanks for the replies! I may give it another whirl when I get home and see how it will do!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%