A Newfound Respect For Sandra Lee...

Lounge By Missyleigh Updated 27 Mar 2007 , 7:03pm by mkerton

Missyleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyleigh Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 34

I watched her story on chefography and I learned she had a really rough life!! I always thought she was wealthy and spoiled and that was how she got her show but NOT TRUE!! She was very poor growing up. She raised her 4 younger siblings after her mothers failed marriage and subsquent depression. It really changed my feeling bout her.. Did anybody else see this?

33 replies
ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 34

No, but I never knew why people dog her all of the time. I enjoy her show...I think she has some wonderfully creative ideas.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 34

I used to dog her but I bought one of her books and they are actually very creative and the recipes in it are pretty darn good.

I will have to catch that Chefography. I have seen the one on Giada.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 34

Hey Missyleigh........I watched her chefography last night too and was aware of how she first came into money with her Kurtain Kraft ideas. What I did not know was the part about her raising her step sibs and their father coming to pick them up and leaving her all by herself. That was heart breaking!
Sandra Lee is a VERY talented person in so many ways. She has had a very tough life but I think that is why she is so strong today. I admire her a LOT! She deserves everything she has and more IMHO.
Glad you watched her chefography and brought this subject up.
I have always hated it when she gets trashed.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyleigh

I watched her story on chefography and I learned she had a really rough life!! I always thought she was wealthy and spoiled and that was how she got her show but NOT TRUE!! She was very poor growing up. She raised her 4 younger siblings after her mothers failed marriage and subsquent depression. It really changed my feeling bout her.. Did anybody else see this?

why did you think that originally?

Missyleigh Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 34

Yeah it was a good show. It said they were vey poor growing up and at the age of 11 she had to take over all of the cooking. So a lot of times she had to be really creative with whatever she had. I really think she has a lot of good Ideas. Sometimes I don't see how they are that money saving, but you can use the ideas and make them your own.

Missyleigh Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 34

Well i thought because she did such elaborate table scapes and such , had a redecorated kitchen etc that she must have wealth and be friviolus.

ptain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptain Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 1:55pm
post #8 of 34

I also saw that episode. I have allways liked her and I have several of her books but I never knew that about her. I think she does get a bad rap sometimes. But I think she is very creative and I like alot of her recipes...

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 34

I have to admit, I was the same way. Some of the things about her really made me think she was spoiled and probably always had things handed to her. I like to watch her show, sometimes to get ideas and sometimes to make fun of her "recipes"....spaghetti sauce, ground beef, and spices = chili??? yuck! I always called her The Preservative Queen because there was soooo much prepackaged and artificial stuff in her recipes, but the show is improving.

Anyway, back to the point. I feel a little guilty for poking fun at what I thought was a spoiled princess type. Her Chefography did change my mind about her. She still has her princessy moments, but I have a newfound respect for her.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 2:14pm
post #10 of 34

I watch her show and always had the impression that she was from a wealthy background also. The way she carries herself,presents her ideas, the way she speaks and looks all cry out money!! I was really impressed with the way she took over for her mother and gave up her childhood.

Some of her ideas are a little strange but I enjoy her creativity and some stuff is really good!!

ksimp6577 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksimp6577 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 2:15pm
post #11 of 34

I have several of her cookbooks, and I love them! There are LOTS of pre-packaged ingredients, but I sub fresh/frozen when I can. I don't think I've made anything from her books that we didn't like. She's got some good ideas!

Missyleigh Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 2:16pm
post #12 of 34

I agree that she dosen't actually cook some things but when you think of how she had to improvise and raise her sibling at the age of 11. She wouldn't have really learned to "cook". I mean she picked flowers in a field to sell for money! She totally has come a long way. When you know this her recipies make sense. Thnk if you were 11 and had to make food for all thse kids . I don't think I could have been that inventive sometimes. She thinks outside the box and I am starting to like it. I am also liking Robin Miller . I hope she keeps gaining inpopuklarity. She has a good concept of "Morphing" foods.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 2:18pm
post #13 of 34

I always thought she was a bit of an "air head"...it drove me nuts when she would wear those long sleeved blouses. I was waiting for her to drag them through the food or for them to catch on fire from the stove. I just thought if you were going to "teach" others how to cook it would be nice if safety was considered too.

On the same note I love to watch Giada...so does hubby.

I'm watching her cook and he is watching in case one of her "dumplings" happens to fall out of the front of those low cut shirts she wears. icon_lol.gif

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 2:19pm
post #14 of 34

I was really impressed with what I learned of her last night- new found respect for her also!!

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 2:26pm
post #15 of 34

Yes, I saw it last night! It was really good. I am really impressed with how she delt with it all.

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 2:38pm
post #16 of 34

I wish I saw that. She never bothered me, I've always watched her show. I just feel that she has a cooking show, who cares what she wears? icon_lol.gif

Missyleigh Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 2:41pm
post #17 of 34

She also donated a lot of money to charities and such, I have really turned around my feelings for her.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 2:52pm
post #18 of 34

Wow, never knew that about her. I really like the stuff she does. I know when her show first was on, she was a pretty simple type kitchen and she did wonderfull stuff. She has learned a lot and has polished her look in the last few years.
Did I read or see somewhere that her husband is TV Show producer or something? Not sure.
I have learned a lot from her.

Missyleigh Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 2:53pm
post #19 of 34

I don't remember them saying anything about a husband? Anybody?

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 3:40pm
post #20 of 34

It was usually during her show, when the show had her family she would mention DH and sisters and more.
I might be wrong, I looke up the biography and there a no mentions and a few weeks ago I saw more recent show and there was no DH mentioned.
Who knows.
I still think she rocks.

Missyleigh Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 3:43pm
post #21 of 34

Well she had a male friend that they kept interviewing, maybe he was like a boyfriend

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 4:00pm
post #22 of 34

She and her husband have filed for divorce last year, he is Bruce Karatz, who was the chairman and CEO of KB Homes. That is probably why he is not mentioned. She has led an interesting life and has worked hard. Her shows are usually pretty good and have recipe's most people can make easily. I enjoy it and enjoyed the chefography as well.
Tracy

SweetTcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTcakes Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 4:00pm
post #23 of 34

I Love Sandra Lee, I have never heard of people talking bad about her. I can't imagine why. She just seems to love cooking and decorating her party tables. Her attention to detail is amazing. I love her short cuts to cooking and to decorating. She inspires me to throw an off the hook party! I didn't see the show, wish I had though.

Again I love Sandra

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 9:01pm
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyleigh

Well i thought because she did such elaborate table scapes and such , had a redecorated kitchen etc that she must have wealth and be friviolus.

lol - all wealthy people aren't frivolous. You hsould read "The Millionaire Next Door"

sueco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sueco Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 9:14pm
post #25 of 34

I watched the show and thought it was good. I have a couple of her books and really like most of the recipes. I'm really glad that Food Network was doing this series so that we can all see how our favorite cooks/chefs/bakers got their start. I caught a little of the Bobby Flay episode and that was interesting, too. He was such a babyface when he startd out.

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 10:04pm
post #26 of 34

I saw that too ~ I never connected her with the curtain thing... I do like to watch her show and love the way the kitchen aid changes with the decor. I am jealous because I can't do that. hehe

I agree, it was an impressive bio.

icon_smile.gif

CakeLadyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLadyM Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 10:25pm
post #27 of 34

She drives me nuts. I can respect whatever past life she's had or whatever, but her on-camera presence is annoying, the way they change the set to match colors/effects for every show is over the top, and the things she does to "cake" brings about a new meaning for the word.

I don't watch.

-M-

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 10:59pm
post #28 of 34

Thanks for the post. Sometimes I love her ideas and sometimes I don't, but I like her. I definitely thought she had money. What I like about her and Rachael Ray is that they both use fresh, frozen, and pre-prepared food to make a dinner at home that most of us can make. None of my friends cook and I wish they would even do what she does to a cake instead of ordering pizza and making cookies from frozen cookie dough.

I'm glad to see something good about her too. I definitely respect her for what she has accomplished.

cheftracy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftracy Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 2:34am
post #29 of 34

I can't stand to watch her show. Used to change the channel even when her commercials were on. I have mellowed some towards her. The most annoying thing for me is her "now, I WANT you to ..." Don't know why that grates on my nerves. She also uses way too many adjectives and hyberboles. Maybe it is the way she stresses her adjectives..wooonnnderrrfullll...

I never knew about her background. I can respect the strides she has made and the things she gave up for her family, but I just do not like the show.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 2:43am
post #30 of 34

After her Kwanzaa cake made me throw up a little in my mouth I quit watching. icon_surprised.gif Apple filling, chocolate icing and corn nuts OH MY!

Here is the recipe in case any of her fans would like to try one for their customers, lol.

1 (10 to 12-ounce) purchased angel food cake
1 container (16 ounce) vanilla frosting
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (21-ounce) container apple filling or topping
1 (1.7-ounce) package corn nuts
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
1/2 cup popped popcorn

Special Equipment:
Kwanzaa candles

Using a serrated knife, cut cake horizontally into 2 layers. Place bottom cake layer, cut side up, on a serving platter. Mix frosting, cocoa powder, vanilla, and cinnamon in large bowl until combined. Spread about 1/4 of the frosting over top of cake layer on platter. Top with second cake layer, cut side down. Spread remaining frosting evenly over top and sides of cake to coat completely. Spoon apple pie filling into hole in center of cake. Place candles atop cake. Sprinkle top of cake with some corn nuts, pumpkin seeds, and popcorn. Sprinkle remaining corn nuts and pumpkin seeds around base of cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%