My Fondant Update - Mmf Rules!

Decorating By MindiBrad Updated 18 Apr 2005 , 9:08am by diane

MindiBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MindiBrad Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 12:13pm
post #1 of 11

I posted a question earlier about CK powdered fondant, but nobody replied, so I guess no one but me was dumb enough to try using that stuff! WHAT a disaster! <grin>

So about 10:00pm last night, I decided to try a batch of MMF....what a delight that stuff is! It was easy to make and is sitting downstairs redy to color. I just checked on it, and it feels just like the Wilton fondant (in terms of how easy it will be to work with) but tastes MUCH better.

My cake currently has a THICK layer of bc covered by a single layer of Wilton fondant colored blue (I did a thick layer of bc in case everyone hates the fondant and peels it off...there will still be plenty of icing!)....and in a few minutes I am going to try simple decorations with the MMF (I wanted to make a bow last night and let it dry, but it just got too late and I have to take this practice cake with me to my sister's house in a few hours)

Out of curiosity - I made the recipe with just 1 packed cup of marshallows and it doesn't seem like it would be enough to cover a whole cake. Any idea how much of that stuff you would make in the future to cover....say...a 2-layer 8" round?

Thanks!

10 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 11

The larger/full size recipe calls for:

16 Oz. white marshmallows
2 tblsp water
2 lb ( or approx 8 cups confectioners or
powdered sugar)

I've really wanted to try it, but haven't gotten up the nerve yet, you've encouraged me to do so!
Thanks! Janice

MindiBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MindiBrad Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 11

question about the bigger recipe...

that 16oz marshmallows...is that by weight or by volume?

IOW - 16 ox by volume would be 2 packed cups.....16oz by weight would be a 1 1/2 bags of marshmallows.

Thanks!

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 11

That's a good question, I am wanting to try this recipe too so I'll need to know the right amount of marshmallows.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 11

I think in our prior thread the 16 oz referred to a 16 oz bag of mini marshmallows. Janice

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 11

Correct-a-mundo!! The large recipe requires the entire 16oz bag of mini marshmallows!!

greencargirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greencargirl Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 11

i made it with the 16 oz bag of large marshmallows and it turned out great... i've never tried any other fondant and don't really care for the buttercream look so this is excellent... i'm using it for my wedding cake but i'll put some bc underneath so they can peel it off (great idea)...

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 7:13am
post #8 of 11

Hi. I am glad that you tried and like the MMF. I made a batch a couple of weeks ago for a cake. It is a marvelous thing!! I will never go back. You are now likely hooked, too!!

galaglow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galaglow Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 12:22am
post #9 of 11

Thanks for this info. I'm making my first batch of MMF this week too for a baby shower cake I'm doing. I bought a box of Wilton for emergency back up in case I mess up, but this sounds promising icon_smile.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 1:44am
post #10 of 11

icon_lol.gif thank you for sharing....i've been thinking about trying mmf, but havent gotten the nerve to try something new. i think i will now.
melody

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 9:08am
post #11 of 11

that stuff is great. i used the mmf to make my daughter's canopy bed cake.
the only problem i had was, it was hard when my daughter went to cut it. i didn't have a big enough box to keep it in, and couldn't microwave it to soften it up. other than that is was delicious.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%