Stacked Cake Question

Decorating By joesmom583 Updated 7 Mar 2006 , 4:27am by Darstus

joesmom583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joesmom583 Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 3:40am
post #1 of 8

This weekend I made a stacked cake with boards in between each layer, before I put each layer on I put on a good dusting of confectionary sugar on top, but the frosting still stuck horribly to the board. What else can I do to prevent this in the future?
Thanks.

7 replies
ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 3:42am
post #2 of 8

You can use coconut and also nuts. icon_biggrin.gif
Jacqui

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 3:42am
post #3 of 8

I usually cut a piece of parchment paper the same size as the cake board. I put it down on the frosting before placing the next layer. This has always worked great for me.

Cindy

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 8

You also need to wait until the icing crusts before you put the next layer on.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 8

I've thought about using parchment paper but would'nt the cake slide apart if you were transporting it? I had a cake disaster (not with parchment paper) where my top cake slid off so now I'm paranoid about what I use.
Jacqui

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 8

That's weird. I've used powdered sugar as the medium between cake boards and separator plates for 8 years without sticking problems. Like gilson6 said, the icing needs to have crusted over.

SherisEdibleDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SherisEdibleDesigns Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 8

If you use the parchment paper idea (which in my experience works very well) make sure to put the paper (cut same size as board) down first, then a dollop of frosting, then board with cake on it. The board and parchment paper stick without sliding, but the parchment paper does not stick to the crusted layer of icing from the cake it sat on top of. Hope this helps!

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 4:27am
post #8 of 8

I have used the powdered sugar but still had problems. On advise from other decorators, I have started using dry fondant (to make creamy candy centers) instead and have had no further problems. I get it at the cake and candy supply store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%