One Day Wedding Cake (Long)

Decorating By niquealodeon Updated 22 Mar 2007 , 4:15am by DecoratingDingbat

niquealodeon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niquealodeon Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 47

OK fellow CCers I need to vent! I just got in this huge argument with a woman at my job who says that a Wedding cake can be completely made in one day and that if you called the right people she could order the cake today and have it tomorrow! icon_surprised.gif She says that she wants all her cakes fresh and baked the same day and she said she knows they can do it (wedding cake mind you) because she did it before and the cake had all these pearls on it and some dove decoration. Im thinking like, "YOURE LYING!" So I started thinking "ok, maybe a small cake" so I asked, "How many layers was it?" And she says, "oh...um...I think like 2 and a half." 2 and a half?! icon_confused.gif WHAT?! Then she's comes up with random times like, "they could start at 2am and finish it by a 9pm reception". And to make matters worse another ladies chimes in and @ first she starts explaining all the steps in making the cake, which was okay, but then she's like "but if they started at 2am they could get it done by 9pm". Im like thats great that that could happen but you go and call a bakery right now and tell them you want a wedding cake by 9pm tomorrow night and see how well that goes for you. Then the 1st lady is like "well Im just saying it could be done". I was like, "no, youre saying it was done and Im telling you no it was not! If youre ordering a wedding cake, first of all it has to be ordered in advance, secondly, you can be pretty sure those cakes are not baked the same day!" And the thing is, I was actually talking to someone else about cake, NOT HER, and she just jumped in like, "who's ordering a cake?" icon_mad.gif Some people. Thanx for letting me vent!

46 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 47

She is an idiot........ be glad she is not ordering from you. People are so dang stupid sometimes. And these people who insist they are right about things they have no clue about are so frustrating. Starting at 2 a.m. my foot.....

Sorry if I sound harsh but I am getting sick and tired of people demanding the best, most moist & beautiful cake for $25.....and oh yeah, and I want it by tomorrow! icon_mad.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 47

Well, she could *try* calling a bakery, and they *could* possibly have it by tomorrow.

But that's because they'll be dragging out some frozen cakes, cutting them to the sizes she wants, popping open a can of "whatever" icing, slapping it on, and poofing on some of those beaut-ee-ful walmart roses we always see, and tah-dah..."fresh wedding cake."

icon_rolleyes.gif whatever

You can't win arguments like that. May as well just say "Whatever you say. You would know." and leave it at that...lol

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 47

What? What the heck is a 2 and a half cake? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif If it were done from 2 a.m. to 9 p.m. then it must be 2 cakes and half that wasn't finished in time! I'm sure it can be done but no one in their right mind will do it. Plus I'm sure they'll pay tons of $$$ for it. OMG, this is too funny icon_lol.gif

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 47

buy her some earmuffs. When you start to talk about cake tell her to put them on real quick.
A wedding cake can definately be done in a day. At a bakery where they have several employees to do that. Most of the time, they don't make it the day of either.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 47

Ditto - what CakeDiva posted!! That lady is lying through her teeth!! I'd stand right there next to her on a phone extension as she calls a local bakery or decorator and asks for a wedding cake in a day!! The nerve!!

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 47

Don'tcha just love people like that who jump in the middle of a conversation and have absolutely no idea what they are talking about?? It might be possible if you had an assembly line-type bakery with lots of help, but very few of those would take a wedding cake order with less than 24 hours notice. She only made herself sound stupid!

bakingupastorm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingupastorm Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:22pm
post #8 of 47

I can't tell you how many times I've called up my local bakery at 2am and said, "I need a wedding cake for 9pm tonight." and they replied, "No problem." NOT!!!
Unfortunately some people have the same mentality that George Stanley Banks did. Ahem, and I quote...

"A cake Nina, is flour and water. My first car didn't cost this much."-George Banks, Father of the Bride

To those women I would have said...

"Lllliiaaaarrr!"-Valerie, the Princess Bride

You've come to the right place to vent. If anyone could understand your frustration with these women the people at CC certainly could!! I'm on your side!!

niquealodeon Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:27pm
post #9 of 47

Fooby, I have no idea what a 2 and a half layer cake is but I was dying when you said only two layers must been decorated and the half wasnt icon_lol.gif . Thank you guys so much. She had me doubting myself for a moment. I live on this site and I constantly see the work being put into the art that shows up in these pages, not to mention it took me six hours to decorate a 3 layer birthday cake and I know a wedding cake takes so much more!!! She just thinks she knows everything!!! I had to just stop arguing, there was NO point!

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:32pm
post #10 of 47

I was watching TV long time ago and on the show they were interviewing the lady that owns the bakery in Las Vegas, Freed's Bakery, and she said that her cakes are made fresh and that she can get a cake to a couple the same day. I went and check her website and she says that they can produce a cake for a wedding within a 3-4 hours notice.

NOW, she does have 25 employees!!!! So that would make a huge difference, right?

I am sure this lady you talked wasn't talking about the same company, right?

Here's Freed's Bakery website: http://www.freedsbakery.com/

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:34pm
post #11 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by niquealodeon

She just thinks she knows everything!!! I had to just stop arguing, there was NO point!

Yep, sometimes you just have to quit arguing. Years ago my dad had a poster in his office at work (he worked at a grain elevator)

"Arguing with a truck driver is like wrestling a pig. You end up dirty and the pig enjoys it."

I try to live by this "motto" anymore - only insert <whomever> in place of truck driver.

icon_biggrin.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:37pm
post #12 of 47

Here are several perfect examples of cheap and or fast wedding cakes:

http://www.twinkies.com/twinkiewedding.asp#groom

http://static.flickr.com/15/22220464_11b3b4012c_o.jpg

http://weddings.about.com/od/weddingcakesfoodmenus/a/weddingcakedeco.htm

I'm surprised that it wasn't mentioned that this cake would be made from scratch with different flavored fillings for the different flavored cake layers - oh, and it won't cost over $.50/serving.

Edited to add:

The cakes at Freeds ARE beautiful. But no prices are give for any of their cakes. I'm sure such instant gratification doesn't come cheap!

wesmanfamily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wesmanfamily Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:49pm
post #13 of 47

I know how everyone feels! I once got a phone call at 10am from a friend that was in real need for a cake that night! I had nothing here to make it. I had to come up with an idea for the cake and go to the store and pick up supplies. I also had to have the cake ready by 4:30pm. It was a half sheet cake that I decorated with a dolphin on it. Boy was I stressed! I managed and it turned out good, but I told him if it was anyone else I would have said NO WAY!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:57pm
post #14 of 47

What? You guys have never heard of a two and a half layer cake? OH come on!! 2/3 of it is covered in fondant, but the other 3/4 is all buttercream. Does that ring a bell?

rosiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecakes Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:06pm
post #15 of 47

janH those links are hilarious! thanks for sharing icon_smile.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:09pm
post #16 of 47

Who does she think she can call to work a 19 hour day? Isn't that right? 2AM - 9PM? Is she crazy? Could it be done - sure if you could get someone to work that long! Maybe she's watched too many Food Network shows where they do it all in 6 hours icon_smile.gif I'm always amazed by the people on those cake challenges.

That Freed's bakery is something else! I guess w/ 25 employees you could get a lot done - although the wedding cakes I looked at seemed fairly simplistic. Granted they had other cakes on the site that looked much more complicated... did they promise ANY cake on that same day or just weddings??? Very interesting. A lot of the cakes seem to have plastic toys thrown on top too - I didn't see a lot of custom fondant figures, etc.

BTW - I just pulled a half sports ball & 6 in cake out of my freezer that must've been there at least a month - I forgot. Both were cake mix cakes with the "durable" cake recipe from here. It was a last minute favor for my mom.... anyway, the woman it was for wrote me a thank you card the night she tasted it and delivered it the next day! She said it was THE BEST cake! She said her husband had ordered her a B-day cake and they cancelled it! (I'm sure it was a grocery store cake btw). If you freeze the cake right I don't think anyone can tell a difference in the frozen vs. fresh cake. Maybe I should do a blind fold test w/ my family one day to see if they can tell icon_smile.gif But I think freezing it even makes it more moist sometimes.

LOL a little funny - I used to work at Starbucks. I always loved when people came in and asked if the pastries were fresh..... yep - fresh out of the freezer! I've never seen a Starbucks that had bakery space (Barnes & Nobles doesn't count). All those pastries are shipped in and frozen. And people didn't return them! (okay once w/ some old guy who tried 3 different things and said all of them were stale - they could have been....). I don't think people even know what fresh is sometimes anymore!

ashley87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashley87 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:16pm
post #17 of 47

it seems wierd to me, but it always seems that the cakes i have frozen are even more moist than those right out of the oven! I love freezers!!!

niquealodeon Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:19pm
post #18 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by peajay66

"Arguing with a truck driver is like wrestling a pig. You end up dirty and the pig enjoys it."

icon_biggrin.gif

I love this quote!

And JanH those links are absolutely hilarious!!!! icon_lol.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:21pm
post #19 of 47

I have to say, I would consider a cake like that at the last minute if I had time, but you can be sure they would have to pay a rush order premium for it. meaning if it was normally$ 4/serviing I'd charge $6/serving. AND they wouldn't be able to customize stuff that they normally could. They woulnd't be getting a cascade of roses, for example, but I certianly would be able to whip together a mess of calla lilies, for example.

The woman was obnoxious, but she did have a certain point. you CAN find someone to do stuff at the last minute, but typically it isnt' 100% what you want and you pay through the nose for it.

(did I mention the woman was obnoxious? lol)

ashley87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashley87 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:26pm
post #20 of 47

and think about where Freed's bakery is.. LAS VEGAS..it is a place that has weddings all the time at the last mintue, so they are prepared for last minute wedding cakes. they can have cakes frozen and icing ready to go so as soon as someone calls, they are ready. And i bet most last minute cakes are small, since last mintue weddings usually are.

neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:28pm
post #21 of 47

Freed's bakery may be able to make a cake in a few hours because they have the staff to pull it off. I do love their cakes! When we go to Vegas that is one of our stops. Last time we were there they were out of my favorite cake, the girl at the counter said she could check if they had it in the freezer! I don't think they bake all of their cakes fresh that day,especially the large layers that take so long to cool.

Silver044 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silver044 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:28pm
post #22 of 47

People are crazy! I just started in this business and know that you can't make a cake in 1 day!!!!
I give you permission to bop her in the head Little Rabbit FooFoo!

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:30pm
post #23 of 47

I would have told that obnoxious woman "yes, it can be done, but not by me!" icon_mad.gif

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:33pm
post #24 of 47

JanH icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I could do it icon_razz.gif

The gum paste flowers and leaves would be done days before

Use cake box mix

Have two ovens

The frosting made the day before

Use string pearls as the borders

Yea, I could do that

niquealodeon Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:50pm
post #25 of 47

The issue was not whether it was possible but whether or not it was feasible and also whether or not it really happened to her. She said that she ordered the cake (2 and a half layers with pearls and doves) from this tiny little bakery is Roslindale (a small town in Boston), MA the day before and told them she wanted her cakes baked fresh the same day. I mean come on. Yes, if someone wanted work the 19hr shift (which someone in this post calculated. thx icon_wink.gif ) then yeah ok. But the 2am to 9pm thing came about later, at first she was just saying she ordered a cake like that before and I knew she was CLEARLY lying!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 9:01pm
post #26 of 47

This woman is what we in our house refer to as "She's makin' it up as she goes!"

auntiemcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiemcakes Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 9:17pm
post #27 of 47

people like this make me say "you can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed person"!!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 9:40pm
post #28 of 47

This post is great. You cannot argue with people like that you just end up getting madder than the mad hatter!.

BTW I think I saw the Freeds Bakery on the "Sugar Rush Show on Food Network" the cake was a strawberry cream something and they had a few models you could choose. They made a "gambling theme". It looked great.
You also have to remember that people get married there every-day and sometimes over and over! I Think they can whip these up pretty fast when there are so many people working there. They had all the decorations on the side and it looked like they had a lot more around.

On the Freeds Website I found these prices: but only for the brides on a budget.
http://www.freedsbakery.com/bride_on_a_budget

They seem to be pretty specific about what and how you can order the cakes. That is probably why they can whip them up so fast!

Well at least we are getting a good laugh.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 9:50pm
post #29 of 47

I was thinking about the challange that Food Network has, they have limit number of hours to do their cakes.

I can't remember are they baked ahead of time?

Let this woman believe what she wants we all know a Bakery is not going to do a cake in one day.

Jaremcal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaremcal Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 9:50pm
post #30 of 47

Who would want a wedding cake at 9pm anyway? I think the woman is a nut. We have only done one wedding cake and I couldnt imagine the stress of that all in one day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%