Very Difficult Day

Lounge By leily Updated 1 Mar 2006 , 2:54pm by stephanie214

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 12:10am
post #1 of 14

I found out yesterday that my parents decided to put down their two Goldens.

One of them we had for 12 years (got her when she was two) And she was the baby, we always joked she got treated better than I did. She was the queen of the house and she knew it icon_smile.gif She had been battling tumors for 7 years, a heart murmor for the last 3, and arthritis for quite awhile. (the vet was very surprised she lived as long as she did without having the tumors removed)

The other one my parents adopted from a Luv A Golden Rescue two years ago, she was 9 when they got her but acted like a 1 year old pup. Two weeks ago we found out she has major kidney problems and she would have to have shots every 25 days and go on two new medications. I never actually lived with her when my parents had her, but she knew I was part of the family.

Both went to work with my parents everyday for the last 4 years. I now work at the same place, I don't know how to handle it tomorrow knowing they wont' be back Today was hard enough knowing it was their last day there. Anytime I went in the office my dad and I were the only ones they would even get up for or wag their tail, i am really going to miss that. I was with both of them when the vet put them to sleep and I dont' know if that was better for me or worse.

I know it was the best thing to put them to sleep, but it doesn't make it any easier.

I hope all of you understand me coming here, there isn't anyone home at the moment and I just can't hold it in anymore.

Thanks for listening.

Leily

i was going to post a picture of them, but I don't have that option icon_sad.gif

13 replies
CTamiLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CTamiLynn Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 12:42am
post #2 of 14

I'm so sorry. I have never had to put a dog down, so I don't know how you feel, although we did have a guinea pig die about a month ago. We have 3 dogs and one of them, Ginger, is my baby. She's sitting on the floor sleeping as I'm writing this. She is very loyal to me and she knows shes my "baby". She is 8 yrs old and I do dread the day I won't have her anymore.

I will keep you in my thoughts icon_smile.gif

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 12:49am
post #3 of 14

I am so sorry!

momlovestocook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momlovestocook Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 1:02am
post #4 of 14

I know how you feel. We had to put our dog to sleep 6 weeks ago. It leaves a hole in your life. My brother had to put his golden down a couple of weeks ago too. His son couldn't even come home for the weekend from university he was so upset. It may be a dog but they are a big part of our families.

Sandra

maxiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maxiecakes Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 2:07am
post #5 of 14

I am so very, very sorry for your loss. My little GrandDaughter lost her furry baby to diabietis in
Sept. She still mourns her loss like it was yesterday.
BritBB has some beautiful poetry that really helps
She has one that will lighten your burden I'm sure
of that. She had one for us.

dawnrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnrunner Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 6:09am
post #6 of 14

My heart breaks for you and your parents, we have had to put several of our pets to sleep because of old age, terminal illness, or due to an accident. Regardless of the reason, it is still a very hard decision to make. I know it is for their best, but we sure do miss and grieve for them.

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 12:32pm
post #7 of 14

I'm sorry for your loss but know they are no longer in pain and both are acting like puppies again! Putting a loved animal down is very hard but it helps I think to know things went smoothly. I did it with my 13yo cat 9 years ago and it was the hardest thing I ever did.

Lemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemondrop Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 12:35pm
post #8 of 14

I'm so sorry Leily icon_sad.gif

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 14

Dear Leily,
I really feel for you and understand your loss. When I had to have my cats put to sleep I found the following poems very comforting.

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

The Last Battle
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

God Bless to you and your parents.
BritBB

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 14

leily, I understand your feelings. I have been on both sides of this issue. I have had to put down my own pets, and I often have to help others grieving the loss. I am a Vet Tech and I tell my clients that they are doing the last truly loving thing they can. It doesn't help the loss or missing part on our behalf, but it is good to know that they didn't suffer needlessly. Letting them go together had to be double the pain, but so often in these cases if only one goes the other grieves themself to death. I feel for your family as my own Golden is 13 and I dread the day I will be in your shoes.

Britton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britton Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 6:20pm
post #11 of 14

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. There is a beautiful picture book by Cynthia Rylant called Dog Heaven that may help you and your family members mourn. It is especially helpful in comforting children. When my cat , who I had had for my whole life, had to be put to sleep a few years ago, Rylant's other book, Cat Heaven, was very comforting. I've heard from many pet owners that after some time has gone by and they feel moments of sadness about their beloved pet, they get down the book again and they feel better. Here is a link to Dog Heaven on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0590417010/?tag=cakecentral-20

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 10:37pm
post #12 of 14

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and understanding icon_smile.gif It was a rough day yesterday, and today wasn't anybetter, i almost started to cry when I had to walk into the office at the end of the day icon_sad.gif

Newtodecorating-Having both of them go at the same time was quite hard. But you are right, the other one wouldn't have known what to do without the other. They were always together and didn't even like being seperated in the same house, one door away. (unless it wasn't closed)

Britton-Thank you for the recommendation. I have actually read that one and a couple others about preparing for the loss of a pet, and the grieving process. The older one with all the problems we had been preparing for for over 5 years, just dreading the day it would come to this.

BrittBB- Thank you for those poems. I had read Rainbow Bridge before however I really like the second one, it really hits home this time. I had seen Rainbow Bridge when we lost our last dog when it was hit by a car.

I know that the older one had our other pets waiting for her, (hehe she outlived 3 other ones. She was our baby for sure) And I am glad that we did do both of them together, it is hard on all of us, but better for them. The vet even said for our older one, she passed really quickly and it was something she was waiting for.

Thanks for letting me talk.

Leily

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 1:11pm
post #13 of 14

that's sooo sad. icon_cry.gif i don't know what i would do without my two buddies!!!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 2:54pm
post #14 of 14

Hi leily,

Even through I am not an animal lover, I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am to hear of your loss. My sister had a cat that died about 2 years ago and she still talks about her from time to time.

Just know that whenever you need to talk or you feel sad...we are here for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%