? About Coconut Cake/filling/icing

Decorating By newdec Updated 7 Mar 2006 , 2:13am by ljkforester

newdec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newdec Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 5

Is there a really good coconut cake/icing/filling recipe that lends itself well to stacking & decorating? I've looked in the recipe forum, but I'm thinking that these will be too moist to stack and the icings not stiff enough?

Thanks!

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 5

I recently did a coconut cake for a wedding that they loved. White cake adding a couple of drops of Loran Coconut. Then i added coconut to the buttercream with another drop or two of flavor for the filling. It was great.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 1:57am
post #3 of 5

For one tier of my daughters wedding cake I used D H French Vanilla Cake Mix. I followed the directions on the box but I replaced the water with coconut milk (not coconut cream) You can usually find the coconut milk in the Asian section of the grocery stores , or in Asian markets. I then added 1 cup of unsweetened grated coconut (if you can't find it in the supermarket, it is sold in Health Food Stores) I used lemon curd between one layer and lime curd between the other. Ifrosted it with buttercream. When it was cut it was very attractive and I have been asked to make the same cake for birthdays and other events.

ljkforester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljkforester Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 2:06am
post #4 of 5

I love this recipe it tastes great!!! It is a perfect filling. icon_biggrin.gif

It's Martha Stewart's Meringue Buttercream with 1/4 cup of unsweetened coconut (toasted in oven for 5 minutes) and 2 tsp. coconut extract. SO yummy!!
(Better as a filling not icing)

ITALIAN MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM

Makes 4 1/2 cups

1 1/4 cups sugar

5 large egg whites

Pinch of cream of tartar

1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring sugar and 2/3 cup water to a boil. Continue boiling until syrup reaches 238° on a candy thermometer (soft-ball stage).

2. Meanwhile, place egg whites in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and beat on low speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar, and beat on medium-high speed until stiff but not dry; do not overbeat.

3. With mixer running, add syrup to whites in a stream, beating on high speed until no longer steaming, about 3 minutes. Add butter bit by bit, beating until spreadable, 3 to 5 minutes; beat in vanilla. If icing curdles, keep beating until smooth.

Enjoy!!! thumbs_up.gif

ljkforester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljkforester Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 2:13am
post #5 of 5

Oh I forgot about the cake!!

I use a really yummy cake box mix fixed up with some extras!! icon_biggrin.gif

1 box Betty Crocker Super Moist French Vanilla Cake mix

1 cup milk

1/3 cup butter, softened

4 eggs

1 tsp coconut extract

1/4 to 1/2 cup toasted coconut (optional) thumbs_up.gif

Mix well!!

My whole family LOVES this cake!! Everyone says it is the best cake ever!!! They asked for the recipe and I just tell them that it is my special recipe. LOL!! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%