Cake Fell After Customer Left With It - What To Do

Decorating By thecakemaker Updated 26 Mar 2006 , 1:29pm by thecakemaker

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 12:42am
post #31 of 61

So sorry about this! What a disappointment for all. I have to add my weekend story regarding customers and mishandling of our precious cakes. I worked all week on an 11x14 ice cream cake. I delivered it since I was in the area Saturday morning. She wasn't home, so DH answered door. He opened their deep freezer...no stable place for the cake. I suggested he go inside and get a cookie sheet. He did, but it was a small one. He tossed the cake into the freezer and the box tipped backwards...it came right off the cookie sheet. He didn't even try to re-shuffle the other freezer contents or anything. He literally tossed the box in there. It was frozen, so I'm just hoping the cake will defy gravity and stick to that cake board!!! I figured the same thing like everyone else has stated in this post...it was FINE when I gave it to him. If she is unhappy about a smashed cake, she can take it up with him.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 12:55am
post #32 of 61

You guys are great for support! (I knew I could count on you!)

I also had a wedding consult on Saturday (I used the same buttercream and the same rasberry filling and the same batter as the disaster cake) and they signed and left me a deposit. I was excited and then when I got the call about the cake mishap - I started worrying about my abilities and the wedding cake. I'm feeling better about that now! I also received a call Friday evening about signing a contract for a wedding cake I met about a few weeks ago! That's two more wedding cakes!

Debbie

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 6:02am
post #33 of 61

Thanks for the info, Debbie.

Your cakes are just beautiful - sorry this happened to you.

Sparklycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklycake Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 12:11pm
post #34 of 61

Your abilities as a cakemaker are no question here, that cake was perfect when you gave it to your customer. She obviviously is either braindead or just doesn't know how to drive carefully.

You offered to come over and try to patch up the cake, she refused, what more could you have done.

If I buy plates in a shop and break them in the boot of the car on the way home I don't expect the china shop to replace them.

Congrats on the Wedding Cake Order.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 12:34pm
post #35 of 61

Im very interested to know what will happen when you see these people at work.

I certainly don't think you should give them *any* money back, this would be admiting that you had done something wrong, when you did everything right.

I have many customers pick up cakes from my place, because i charge delivery, some people just dont want to pay for it. When they pick it up, i tell them, the cake has to travel flat, has to be in a cool place and they have to drive very carefully with it, no sudden stops and no sharp turns. I show it to them, show them the way to take it out of the box without damaging it etc. If after i've told them all this, they cake is destroyed, then it's surely nothing to do with me, especially since they didnt want to pay delivery ; )

The cake looked great by the way.
Nati

thecakemaker Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 4:26pm
post #36 of 61

Thanks Nati and everyone else! Well, the caterers wife said that the entire cake looked like the leaning tower of buttercream but that it tasted great! She said it looked like she had slammed on the brakes. The aunt hasn't said anything and the mother is out due to her father being ill. I haven't heard any more from the girl. The caterers wife said they were laughing about it at the party and teasing the birthday boy about "see what happens when you turn 30" and stuff like that. So, hopefully not a big deal.

Thanks again!
Debbie

Sonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sonya Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 5:08pm
post #37 of 61

I had a lady one time come to pick up, the pink 2 tier rectangle wedding cake in my photos, and was going to put it on the BACK OF A PICKUP TRUCK!! I was like WAT icon_surprised.gif you cant do that!!! Just shows some people dont even have common sense, lolol!

~Sonya

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 5:35pm
post #38 of 61

Debbie,
I looked at your cakes and they are beautiful. Don't ever doubt your talent! You are not responsible after the product leaves your house! The cake is now the property of the cake owner. If she drives like a maniac so be it. As Sonya says, some people don't have common sense and is why Candle Companies put warnings on their product to remove the cellophane wrappers before lighting the wick, because otherwise they don't have a clue!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 5:44pm
post #39 of 61

So sorry to hear that this happened! I always hold my breath when someone leaves my house with a cake. I can't for the life of me see how she could have messed it up with a center dowl through it! i guess some people have no clue! Congrats on the wedding cake orders though!

mudpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mudpie Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 5:46pm
post #40 of 61

Yes, it is her fault. Something happened on the drive. It didn't JUST slide off.

You offered to try to fix it, which was the MOST you could have done. And you were NOT obligated to do that!

No refunds. Once it leaves your care, you cannot be responsible!

thecakemaker Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 6:05pm
post #41 of 61

I was just asked by the aunt if I had heard that "(insert name here) dropped the cake". I knew it didn't just fall apart!

icon_biggrin.gif

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 6:45pm
post #42 of 61

See---there you go!!! Why did she lie, though? I hate that!! Did she honestly think that you would not offer to come and fix it if it could be fixed?

Anyway--I just KNEW it wasn't your fault!! You should feel vindicated!

Lisa

thecakemaker Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 8:28pm
post #43 of 61

I don't know if I would want that wedding cake now!

Thanks everyone!
Debbie

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 8:39pm
post #44 of 61

It has to be attibuted to that nursery rhyme. Bake me a cake as fast as you can. Some people are so very clueless.........geez what hutspa, dropping the cake and then calling you.

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 8:42pm
post #45 of 61

i'm curious as to what your response to the aunt was..

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 8:45pm
post #46 of 61

Oh, I would still do the wedding cake alright..but I would require my money up front..and make sure to include a delivery fee and make it clear that YOU alone deliver and set up your wedding cakes, if she was dishonest about what happened to the other cake..I would cover my butt in any future dealings with her.

thecakemaker Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 9:10pm
post #47 of 61

tye - I didn't have to respond. When she asked if I had heard - the caterers wife looked at her and said "Oh, she dropped it?" Then the aunt just smirked and shook her head kind of like uh hu! (sp) icon_biggrin.gif

Debbie

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 3:18am
post #48 of 61

I'm going to have to stop being so shocked when I read stories like these. But really it just surprises me that so many folks are so nonchalant about lying and putting all the blame on the decorator when in fact they are the ones to blame. Seriously. She probably felt like a big dope for dropping the cake and figured it would be easier to blame the one person who couldnt be there to defend herself than it was to admit her mistake.

Well at least you know the truth now, though it wasnt hard to figure it out in the first place but its always nice to know.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 3:34am
post #49 of 61

I'm with you, LNW. I have found that so many people lie like it's just as natural and normal as discussing the weather. I hate people like that.

No wonder she didn't want you to come over and fix it, Debbie. You would have seen right away that the damage the cake incurred wasn't from sliding.

Jeez.

frindmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frindmi Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 3:54am
post #50 of 61

I can't believe they could call you with a teary voice and fabricate that big fat lie!

I got a little bit confused. Who dropped the cake? The aunt? The caterer's wife? The mom of the birthday person? Sorry, I'm a bit slow at this time of the day.

Inma

Ps: I'm so sorry you spent such a bad few days doubting your talent as a decorator!

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 4:47am
post #51 of 61

Debbie, thanks so much for your final resolution to the GREAT CAKE CAPER. I just got the kids to bed and raced downstairs to find out. I've been thinking about this on and off all day. You must be so relieved to have heard the true story. I'm still waiting to hear from my lady to see how the "upside down ice cream cake" went on Sunday and to find out if her DH is still in one piece!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

thecakemaker Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 1:35pm
post #52 of 61

Good luck to you jlh!
I'm just glad it's over!

Deb

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 2:53pm
post #53 of 61

This was a very entertaining thread!!....sorry you went through it but I'm so glad it worked out for you.......

BTW...I also smush my cake as soon as it comes out of the oven if it has a dome...
If the sides of the cake haven't risen over the sides of the pan, then I take a pot or pan that is a bit smaller than the cake pan (place a sheet of parchment on the cake) and press down gently. icon_smile.gif

thecakemaker Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 3:05pm
post #54 of 61

It's worked out great for me doing that!

Deb

RAVUN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RAVUN Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 10:33pm
post #55 of 61

Hey I also smush my cake if it has domed after baking, but I lay a clean damp cloth over the cake and press gently with my hands. I do this as soon as it comes out of the oven and the cake will even out very nicely.....I got this hint from another cake site and I use it all of the time.
Debbie

mtdk454 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtdk454 Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 1:51pm
post #56 of 61

Some people just don't understand that making a cake is more than making a cake. When you put your heart in it, it becomes more than a cake. I treat mine like little babies when they are finnished. How they are touched, moved, handled, ect... I'm sure you felt worse than she did about the cake. I wouldn't offer the refund either. It's more than just a cake!

thecakemaker Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 1:56pm
post #57 of 61

You're right! The caterers wife said "you couldn't tell how much work you put into the cake by the time they got done with it". I was very disappointed! It's the first cake I didn't show off a picture of at work.

Debbie

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 8:08pm
post #58 of 61

You did everything you could and that you
were supposed to do.
I am curious though about your raspberry filling.
I made 2 kinds and the client didn't like them.
Care to share your recipe for raspberry filling?
Would be appreciated.
Vicki
Loving this site

thecakemaker Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 8:11pm
post #59 of 61

Thanks! I've used rasberry jam and i've used the pastry filling that comes in a sleeve. I personally like the jam best but haven't had any complaints on either.

Debbie

bohemia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemia Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 9:36am
post #60 of 61

I think you did everything you could. I mean for us cakepeople, we have common sense to never hold a cake by the sides, never hold it in your lap, never place it on a car seat, and never drive and brake like a maniac with a tiered cake on board.

Non cakepeople don't know the basics so its our job to let them know how to handle the cakes.

I personally don't deliver my cakes unless it's to be assembled on site and I charge extra for that. When they do come to pick up their orders, I show them that the cake is perfect and undamaged and then I box them up and help them take it to the car. I usually have typed up instructions of things to do and not to do with the cake. I also make them sign a waiver that they picked up the cake in perfect condition so I have proof in case they complain.

I would personally not offer a refund and would just give my sympathies. You did the right thing by not cracking and giving in. Some people just have to try to put one up over you if they can. Like this lady that even had the audacity to blame you. Ha!

I'm sorry you had to doubt yourself because of this incident...we try our best but sometimes there are people that will never be satisfied. Just sympathize with those unfortunate souls and concentrate on the good things that have been said about your creations.

Hope the wedding cake went well and please post pictures! Would love to see more of your work.

Long live Cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%