Is There Any Way That This Is Legal???

Business By tobycat Updated 17 Mar 2007 , 7:29am by tobycat

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 6:16am
post #1 of 8

I met a gal today who makes chocolate. Now she rents a space, but didn't used to, etc. We got to talking about the legality aspect, etc. She said that the Internet is still a pretty loop hole kind of area. She thought it might be okay to sell a cake via the Internet but just put that delivery will be local only. IOW -- post cakes on the internet and state that they are available through the internet only.

Any thoughts on this (as I cringe in the corner because I think I already know the answer, but hey, can't blame a gal for trying, right? icon_lol.gif )

Sarah

7 replies
rstml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rstml Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 6:32am
post #2 of 8

Do you mean selling on the internet and avoiding a city permit/license or the whole aspect of baking and selling cakes out of your home. Forgive me, I am a little confused.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 6:40am
post #3 of 8

The goods still have to be prepared in a legal kitchen, and the rules are often more strict for 'wholesale' baked goods. It might be easier to hide behind an internet seller who supposedly just sell the goods, but isn't the baker.

Not a good idea to get caught doing this.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 6:40am
post #4 of 8

I...don't see how that's a loophole? It definitely won't fool the health department.

tobycat Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 6:48am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstml

Do you mean selling on the internet and avoiding a city permit/license or the whole aspect of baking and selling cakes out of your home. Forgive me, I am a little confused.

Selling on the Internet. icon_smile.gif

Sarah

rstml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rstml Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 6:57am
post #6 of 8

I would have to agree with JoAnnB in that things would still have to be prepared in a legal kitchen.

Of all the states I would be afraid of when it comes to baking in the home, California takes the cake! A friends mom from elementary school did my wedding cake. She wasn't licensed (as they don't allow home bakeries in CA) but she made the most wonderful cake I had ever tasted. Not long after our wedding, she was caught and had to pay nearly $7500 in fines.

I don't know about you, but I couldn't afford that risk!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 6:58am
post #7 of 8

Unless you can find a way to email the cakes to states that allow home-based cake business icon_lol.gif , I don't think it is worth taking the risk.

Since you would be making the cakes for sale in a state that doesn't allow home-based bakeries, it doesn't really matter where you advertise or take the orders.

RedPanda

tobycat Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 7:29am
post #8 of 8

Well, everything you're all saying is pretty much what I was thinking too.... sigh

You just want to believe that there's a way! I mean, it's not tha I wouldn't want to get a license, it just seems that they make it so unreasonable.

Not supporting the cottage industry is not supporting the family, imho. I mean, we have all these kids who are forced to be alone because both parents have to work (no offense to those who want to work -- everyone's situation is different), but for families like mine, the 2-parent working schedule just isn't working. I'm going to be taking a 1-year leave from my job next year to try it out and see if we can make it. It would be nice to be able to make a few extra $$$ and help support our family while I'm at home.

Okay now I'm just venting...sorry. Just wish there were a way.

I hear S. Oregon is nice... icon_rolleyes.gif

Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%