Help Bottom Tier Bulge

Decorating By phoenix13 Updated 18 Mar 2007 , 2:25am by Cakepro

phoenix13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoenix13 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 8

im doing a 3 tier wedding cake covered in mmf for tomorrow. im very worried about my bottom tier. when i put the middle tier[10"]on the bottom tier 12" it looked misshappen and bulging around the sides.I used 5 wooden dowels.the filling is vannila pudding. Is it possible i used to much buttercream crumbcoat.Or maybe i need a better support like the plastic pillars and plate. Going to finish it off tomorrow. Should i peel off fondant and do it over. I really want it to be beautiful. Please help! icon_sad.gif

7 replies
Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 8

Your dowels need to be long enough so that the bottom tier carries no weight. It's kind of an art to cut them exactly long enough sometimes - and not too long.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 8

i've had that happen, and i think it was because of too much buttercream. but if you just had a thin crumb coat, then maybe it is your dowels.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 8

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:37am
post #5 of 8

Cakepro, how'd you do that!!!!!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:47am
post #6 of 8

Whenever I do a filling like that I put a nice thick dam of icing and crumbcoat...and then refrigerate until firm before covering in fondant. That way you can put a bit of pressure on the cake without having it bulge.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:52am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Super cute, but 'aw c'mon -- it's not WORTHLESS! We all know what a bulge looks like.

As for the bulge -- if it's not from the cake being moved at all, then perhaps you should start over if you have time. A bulge that is making you think about redoing the cake means that you should probably redo it if you have time. You'll never get past it if you don't.

Sarah

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 2:25am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma9

Super cute, but 'aw c'mon -- it's not WORTHLESS! We all know what a bulge looks like.

As for the bulge -- if it's not from the cake being moved at all, then perhaps you should start over if you have time. A bulge that is making you think about redoing the cake means that you should probably redo it if you have time. You'll never get past it if you don't.

Sarah

Agreed, the thread is definitely not worthless without pics, but specific instructions/suggestions could be provided to her if she could provide a picture. Her filling could be bulging, which is showing through too-thin fondant, or it could be a massive airbubble, badly uneven fondant, or her cake could appear to be stressing and possibly breaking apart from poor doweling. Her cake could be salvaged if her filling was bulging or her fondant was rolled too thinly or too unevenly, or was trapping an air bubble, or was even mildly breaking from poor doweling.

A picture could have helped us provide a definitive diagnosis for the problem her cake was experiencing, because it could have been any number of things. icon_smile.gif

In any case, phoenix13, I hope it worked out well! We'd love for you to follow up with what happened. icon_smile.gif

~ Sherri

ps...Image indydeby, I keep a hidden stash of cute smilies on my website to use when the smilies here just don't convey the right message. Image

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%