Chocolate/bronze Scrolls

Decorating By Kate714 Updated 15 Mar 2007 , 1:07am by playingwithsugar

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 18

Hi all,

I have agreed to make a wedding cake for a family member...it will be my first wedding cake, other than a very small one I have in a few weeks. She likes this design:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=favpics&cat=0&pos=-65631

(thanks Danny!)

but says she wants "color". Her wedding colors are chocolate brown and bronze. I was thinking maybe doing the scrolls (not as good as these of course!) in RI and then luster dusting them in a copper/bronze color?? But my concerns are: if I use luster dust/vodka, I'm worried it will drip onto the BC. If I just dry-brush it on, I am worried it will scatter everywhere!!

Any other ideas for a similar cake with these colors???

Thanks!!

17 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 18

The only thing I could think of is to make the scrolls on wax paper, dry dust them and then place on cake. Nah, that won't work since they'd be flat. Hopefully, someone will have a better idea.

Kate714 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisseyann

The only thing I could think of is to make the scrolls on wax paper, dry dust them and then place on cake. Nah, that won't work since they'd be flat. Hopefully, someone will have a better idea.

yup, I thought the same thing!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 18

I've never had trouble with the vodka dripping.... just make sure it is "paste" like, and you don't thin it out to much....Use a really thin brush...... Do a few proactice runs ( no pun intended) and you'll see how much fun it is !!

Kate714 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 18

okay, if the RI is relatively thin, which I assume it would have to be, how long do you think it will take before those suckers are dry enough to luster dust?? I don't use RI very often icon_rolleyes.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:06am
post #6 of 18

okay, if the RI is relatively thin
Oh, OUCH !! I didn't read that very well.... icon_redface.gif I just use buttercream.....does it HAVE to be royal ?

Kate714 Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:09am
post #7 of 18

I didn't think I could use luster dust on BC?? icon_confused.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:12am
post #8 of 18

Yes, you can use Lustre Dust on Buttercream. On my www, under the "cakes" page, there is a chocolate buttercream cake with gilded roses (drybrushed lustre dust onto chilled chocolate buttercream roses.) That will give you some idea of how this technique looks.

Kate714 Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:16am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Yes, you can use Lustre Dust on Buttercream. On my www, under the "cakes" page, there is a chocolate buttercream cake with gilded roses (drybrushed lustre dust onto chilled chocolate buttercream roses.) That will give you some idea of how this technique looks.

okay, very nice cake!! so how do I dry brush the BC scrolls and not mess them up?? this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen....

mikko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikko Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:18am
post #10 of 18

i'm not sure if you can even do this (i've never used luster dust)but... couldn't you mix the dust straight into the icing before you pipe it on?

That might use too much dust, idk, or color the icing to a bronze & then mix in the dust so it doesn't take as much?

I have no idea if that would still be shiny?
icon_confused.gif ((Hope i don't sound too stupid))

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:18am
post #11 of 18

You know, there's a reason my motto is "respond first, read thread later..."icon_confused.gif

First, yes you can use the luster dust on buttercream. If you chill or freeze the buttercream, OR if it crusts nicely, it will be perfect for drybrushing. If you are using a vanilla flavored buttercream, freeze (the roses for example, not the whole cake.) Chocolate crumbles when it gets too cold, so refrigerate overnight. My favorite colors are the earth tones and those of the heavy metals, and I particularly love the bronze and coppers in lustre dust. Chocolate buttercream picks up the darker shades better too.

Now, when working with lustre dust on buttercream, DO NOT use vodka or rum or any lemon extract. You want to dry brush ONLY. The reason -- buttercream acts as a sponge and I highly doubt anyone wants vodka flavored buttercream roses! When you are working with frozen (roses for example), work FAST. They thaw almost immediately and there's nothing worse than gooey buttercream gumming up your brush and clumping your lustre dust.

If you have any other questions, I'll do everything I can to answer them. Good luck!! And let us see your pix when you are done! icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:21am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikko

i'm not sure if you can even do this (i've never used )but... couldn't you mix the dust straight into the icing before you pipe it on?

That might use too much dust, idk, or color the icing to a bronze & then mix in the dust so it doesn't take as much?

I have no idea if that would still be shiny?
icon_confused.gif ((Hope i don't sound too stupid))

No Sweetie, you don't sound stupid. It's a great idea, but unfortunately it won't work. Lustre dust is designed to go on top of frosting, not in it. When mixed in the frosting, it creates flecks and clumps that don't come out, giving it an uneven finish. Drybrushing is her best bet. I speak from experience on this too -- it's my personal favorite technique and all my cakes have some lustre dust on them to one degree or another.

Kate714 Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:23am
post #13 of 18

I will just be doing the scrolls, not something like roses I can freeze then put on the cake...so will they be cold and firm enough to dry dust, since the whole cake will just be in the fridge?? I'm thinking a white BC with either white or light brown scrolls with copper/bronze luster dust.

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:28am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate714

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Yes, you can use on Buttercream. On my www, under the "cakes" page, there is a chocolate buttercream cake with gilded roses (drybrushed onto chilled chocolate buttercream roses.) That will give you some idea of how this technique looks.

okay, very nice cake!! so how do I dry brush the BC scrolls and not mess them up?? this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen....

It will work (oh yee of little faith... icon_wink.gif ) It's easy, first, you pour some lustre dust (dry) in a very small bowl. Then take a small brush, sable, in anywhere between a 0, or 00 up to a 1 which is quite big for what you want. Go to the art store and look at the actual tip sizes of brushes. Tell them you want to do detail work (000 may be too small for this, but then again it may work well if your scrolls are small.) You ideally want sable, or something equivalent to that. Nylon will not work.

Now, dip your spiffy new brush in the lustre dust and tap it off on the side of the bowl. You don't want big clumps here. Lightly dust JUST THE TOP of the scroll (don't try to do the whole roundness of it or you'll hit the sides of your cake and it will look amateurish.) Go over it as may times as you need to -- overdusting looks pretty cool actually. If you are doing this on the side of a cake, then refrigerate the cake and work fast. Don't be afraid to pop that cake back in the frig to firm it up!!

Now do you believe Grasshopper?? icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif

Kate714 Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:34am
post #15 of 18

Thanks so much BobWonderBuns!!! I believe you!!! icon_lol.gif

Now can I get these spiffy sable brushes at Michael's or one of those stores? Not sure where there's an art store around here...

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:36am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate714

Thanks so much BobWonderBuns!!! I believe you!!! icon_lol.gif

Now can I get these spiffy sable brushes at Michael's or one of those stores? Not sure where there's an art store around here...

Yes, you can, but Michaels and JoAnns don't sell sable but they do sell something comperable. But, ask someone who works IN THEIR ART DEPT (believe me, not any sales rep will do!icon_confused.gif) and explain what you need and if you need to go to several Michaels until you find someone knowledgeable, then do it. The last thing you need is an expensive brush sold to you by some "wannabe know-it-all" which leaves streaks in your frosting or fans out your lustre dust! icon_confused.gif

Kate714 Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:42am
post #17 of 18

okay, excellent!! many thanks thumbs_up.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 1:07am
post #18 of 18

Yes, the best selections on brushes, outside of an art supply store, would be AC Moore or Michaels. I cannot answer for Hobby Lobby, as there is none in my location.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%