Need To Know Quick

Decorating By debster Updated 11 Mar 2007 , 1:56pm by aine2

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 16

Is there a way to write on fondant if you have a couple lines to write and don't have an edible image maker? Thanks to all your GREAT!!!!!! What would I use and so forth.........................

15 replies
debster Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 16

I need help professional help............... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif You people that do designs on fondant painting how is it done wouldn't that work to write?

sandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandie Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 16

Here's a bump to help you.

mewie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mewie Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 16

bump!

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 16

I personally have never done this, but I recall seeing some posts where people have thinned gel colors with water or even used them full strength, and painted onto fondant with a fine brush. Not sure if this would help you or not. Good luck. icon_smile.gif

rstml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rstml Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 16

I don't use edible markers. I instead use gel food coloring thinned just a bit with alcohol and then use a very fine tipped painters brush to write with.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 16

BUmp.

I'm not a pro at fondant, but couldn't you just thin out and pipe on BC or Royal icing?

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 16

I apologize...do NOT thin with water. I did a search and came up with people that advise against water as it can melt the fondant. As rstml stated, use a clear alcohol to thin.

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 16

You can paint on fondant using regular cake colors, WIlton or Americolor
undiluted and a clean paintbrush that has not been used for non food projects. It is easy and produces nice results.

have fun...

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 16

Just use the liquid food colors with an artists watercolor round brush, it comes to a nice tip. And with a little practice you could make really nice scripts and fonts with it. Just get a size 3 or 4 artists watercolor synthetic sable brush (gold taklon is really good) at the local hobby shop or hobby lobby. Practice on some paper before you start on the cake.

debster Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:14pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks that's what I needed to know so I can't thin with water, now to work on my writing...................you all are thumbs_up.gif

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 8:35pm
post #12 of 16

You can also paint on fondant with luster and petal dusts mixed with a drop or two of alcohol or lemon extract. Fun!

mqguffey Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 8:36pm
post #13 of 16

You can also paint on fondant with luster and petal dusts mixed with a drop or two of alcohol or lemon extract. Fun!

Just don't try it with Wilton's shimmer dust. Often confused, but not the same thing!

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 8:59pm
post #14 of 16

i just wrote on fondant today!! what a coincidence, i used, a non-toxic sharpie felt pen. NON-TOXIC.
it worked great and didnt bleed.
i will see if i can get the photo attached.
attachment wouldnt work, too many pixels. i will see if hubby can help.

mqguffey Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 11:53pm
post #15 of 16

Try this site for shrinking pics: http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 1:56pm
post #16 of 16

I'm probably too late in responding to this to help you out but I use royal icing all the time to write on my cakes and I only work with fondant (sugar paste where I come from!) I make royal icing with powdered egg white, icing sugar and water and mix it until it is soft peak.....pull up the icing with a spoon and it should just droop! icon_wink.gif This is perfect for writing. I use a size 1.5 icing tip. Next time I do it I'll take some photos if that'll help! PM me if you like and I'll send them to you. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%