Royal Icing Is Not My Friend!!

Decorating By CreativeCakery Updated 10 Mar 2007 , 10:06pm by izzybee

CreativeCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakery Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:14am
post #1 of 16

Please have a hearty laugh at my expense! WHAT makes royal icing so darn hard to make? Does anyone else have problems with it? I've only tried to make it twice, and both times it turned out like marshmallow fluff. I used the Wilton recipe. Is it just my "untalent"? icon_redface.gif

15 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:25am
post #2 of 16

I to have had problems with royal but I've lately went with the Anatonia's RI and tweeked it to work for me FINALLY...................IT takes practice or atleast it did for me , four months worth and still working on it.

rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:34am
post #3 of 16

The only advice I might give is use less water. Say...4 1/2 to 5 table spoons of water instead of 6.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 8:38am
post #4 of 16

I'm stunned - it's really not tricky, I'm worrying about the recipe you might be using. Try 1llb of icing sugar, 1 dried egg white and whisk up with a little water - nothing else needs to be added and it should be dead easy. Wilton do seem to make things difficult for people - maybe their recipe is dud?

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 8:56am
post #5 of 16

Ok here is my response to my ROYAL PAIN. I have had a very bad experience to ROYAL also. In fact I took course 2 twice because of my PROBLEM. This is what I have learned. First make sure your tips are grease FREE. By that I mean if you have used them with buttercream clean them with hot soapy water, then soak them in vinegar water, then again with the hot soapy water. Second do not use the 1 lb box sugar. When i used it My Royal was so wicked to me. I have made peace kind of with royal. I did finally make some flowers that were not melted thumbs_up.gif Do I want to do them again no. If asked I will try icon_cry.gif They are not the best thing I can do. But I try and try again till I get it right. So ggod luck. And PS make sure any bowls and utensils are grease free as well thumbs_up.gif

sondrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sondrad Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 9:06am
post #6 of 16

I'm not sure what the particular problem is. One idea would be a prepared mix. Our cake store sells prepackaged royal icing dry ingredients that only require you to add water. Also, are you mixing it for the full duration that Wilton suggests?

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 12:18pm
post #7 of 16

Are you sure you arent adding too much water? It doesnt take much for royal icing to go from a thick spackling paste to soup. I usually just start with 5 T of water and then add a few drops at a time until the mixture isnt crumbly balls and the royal starts to stick to the sides of mixer bowl. It should be like a thick paste at a stiff consistency.

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 1:25pm
post #8 of 16

It does come out kind of fluffy but maybe you are putting it on too fast for too long which attatchment are you using the metal wired ball!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 1:39pm
post #9 of 16

Make sure too that you are mixing it long enough. I could never get royal icing right with my hand mixer but once I got my Kitchenaid, I can finally make royal icing!

zoboo2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoboo2 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 1:49pm
post #10 of 16

Our instructor told us that anything used that will touch the icing MUST BE completely grease free as stated in another reply. That means bowls, mixer, spoons, tips, bags. She said otherwise the icing will be a complete mess. Don't know if that helps or not. Just my 2 cents! icon_smile.gif

weberm05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weberm05 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 1:57pm
post #11 of 16

I think it does sound like it's not being mixed enough....or mixed enough at a higher speed on the mixer.

That was the problem I always had. I was sooooooo afraid I was going to burn up my mixer ha ha

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 2:03pm
post #12 of 16

Actually once the icing is stabilized, grease won't break it down... you have to make sure the bowl and paddle are grease free but if you get a good royal made, the tips and bags won't hurt it.

moniquerei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moniquerei Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:52pm
post #13 of 16

Amen to hating to make royal icing!! I have made it a couple of times and it never turns out. I have resorted to having a girlfriend do it for me!

Mmichellew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mmichellew Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:34pm
post #14 of 16

You have to mix that stuff about 10-12 minutes with a good mixer-- no cheapie hand mixers please. No cheating on the time frame and use high speed with the wire whisk attachment. The trick is to incorporate enough air into the mixture of egg white and sugar and water. When you do it right, the icing will hold a very stiff peak, appear bright white in color and lose it's shiny appearance. It dries very quickly, so you must cover it with a damp (Not wet!) towel while using it. It will keep in the refrigerator, tightly covered, and MUST be rewhipped before re-using as the air trapped in the icing breaks down rather quickly when it sits. Use up leftovers within a week or throw away. Remember when using a raw egg product, that this is highly risky for salmonella contamination and resulting food born illness. Not worth it in my book. I always use powdered egg white (meringue powder).

I use the Wilton recipe only for Royal icing and have never, never had a problem. Now I am not a big fan of all things Wilton, but I taught Wilton classes for years and saw so many variations of results because students did not follow the directions exactly. You must follow the recipe EXACTLY!! Measure out the ingredients EXACTLY, use scrupulously clean tools, and mix EXACTLY according to the instructions in the recipe. Royal icing is a "must have" tool in your decorating skills tool chest. Learn how to do it right and you will have a friend that does not fail you.

CreativeCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakery Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:48pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks everyone for all the tips. I am going to make up a batch soon and try, try again! I did know about the grease and I don't think that was my problem. I think I need to try and follow the recipe EXACTLY, and then make sure I mix it to exact time specifications. icon_wink.gif

HOPEFULLY, it will turn out!!

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 10:06pm
post #16 of 16

I keep adding sugar until it is the right consistency.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%