How Do I Doctor A Lemon Cake Mix?

Decorating By wendysue Updated 2 Feb 2006 , 7:34pm by ellepal

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 13

What's the best way to kick it up a notch? I have a lemon cake mix and want to make it special. What happens if I put milk in the mix rather than water? Anyone have any ideas they'd be willing to share?
I'll be adding a pudding/cream cheese filling and a lemon buttercream frosting.
Thanks in advance!

12 replies
tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 13

How about using a little lemon juice and some lemon zest, to give it a scratch appearance? Maybe some slivered almonds?

sparkleshine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkleshine Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 13

I made a lemon cake mix and added a cream cheese pudding packet to it last night and it turned out wonderful! I also like the idea of adding some lemon zest. icon_smile.gif

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 13

I always use a water/milk mixture when doctoring a mix and it turns out great! I have a lemon mix in the cabinet....I think I'll have to make it this week-yum!

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 13

I usually add some fresh lemon juice, lemon zest and melted white chocolate, approx 1/4 cup, it tastes so yummy!!!

wendysue Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks to everyone for the great tips! I had to make the mix this morning, so I took the advice of the first couple of you that posted. I replaced most of the water with milk and added some lemon zest.
The frosting that I've made was a bit of a frustrating time. I've made lemon frosting from scratch before, but this time it turned out WAY too sweet and tart. I guess I must have overdone it when I squeezed the fresh lemon into my frosting. So, I kept playing with it, adding this and that until I finally decided to fold in some freshly beat whipping cream. This made the frosting turn out so incredible! It's light and very flavorful, but not overly sweet. : )

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 13

I usually just add lemon pudding (and the extra egg) to my lemon mix and really like it. You can also add a tablespoon of poppy seeds and get a Lemon Poppy Seed cake. icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I usually just add lemon pudding (and the extra egg) to my lemon mix and really like it. You can also add a tablespoon of poppy seeds and get a Lemon Poppy Seed cake. icon_smile.gif

My favourite too!
Hugs Squirrelly

bookbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bookbabe Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 9:41pm
post #9 of 13

I always use orange juice to make lemon cakes. For some reason it makes the cake taste more "lemony" not orange like you would think.
icon_smile.gif

wendysue Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 9:56pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookbabe

I always use orange juice to make lemon cakes. For some reason it makes the cake taste more "lemony" not orange like you would think.
icon_smile.gif

How much orange juice do you add to the mix? : )

bookbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bookbabe Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 6:48pm
post #11 of 13

usually whatever the amount of liquid it asks for-- off the top of my head I think I use 1 1/3 cups of OJ and then I put a box of lemon pudding instead of oil. You can use 3 or 4 eggs depending on how dense you want the batter to be--4 eggs makes it more like a pound cake.

mistydawn74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistydawn74 Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 7:27pm
post #12 of 13

When you mention pudding mix, is that the powder or is it the pudding. I know it may be a stupid question but I am so new to this.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 7:34pm
post #13 of 13

I add butter, water with lemon juice, and lemon zest. it ends up moist and tasty

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%