Help..... Im Stumped (Long)

Decorating By macksnax Updated 27 Jul 2006 , 3:16pm by macksnax

macksnax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macksnax Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 6:58am
post #1 of 17

i have a cake that i am doing for my husbands birthday, it isnt till august but i like to plan early esp. this one. i want to make him a cake that looks like a reef fish tank, he loves reef tamks we have six in our house. i want the cake to as edible as possible, i think i have the basic structure of it down, i think i am ging to layer two 9x13 sheet cakes and poss. tort them then for the back i was going to take another 9x13 sheet and lay it length wise on the back and dowel them together horizontally. the fish iam going to make of colorflow and buttercream icing some of the coral will be made of choc molding clayand fondant and maybe some candies. the only problem that i have come across so far is the reef rock im not sure how i should go about doing this. i was thinking of maybe making large oddshaped cake balls and painting on them with dusts and food gels. i have attached a picture of some reef rocks so if anyone can take a look and maybe give their inputs on how i should go about doing this i would appreciate it. sorry this is sooooo long. thanks.
LL

16 replies
flytrap77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flytrap77 Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 7:42am
post #2 of 17

How about rice crispy treat rocks? They may give you the stability you need to make them in the funky shape. You could cover them with a gray or dark colored buttercream and then, with a clean sponge or paint brush use black gel color to make speckles for the holes.

Or to keep the texture of the crispy treats you could airbrush them...

Or you could just add the coloring to the melted marshmallows when you are mixing them. I would try it this way first I think. Use black and brown in the mix. The texture could be really cool. I would still go back and add speckles with a paint brush for more depth.

HTH!

Post pics!

macksnax Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 9:08am
post #3 of 17

you know i didnt even think of that, but that sounds like that might work and be alot easier then what i was going to try, thanks alot.
thumbs_up.gif

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 17

I've never tried these but how about sponge candy for the rocks. I know they look like rocks with all they're holes and crevices.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 17

oo oo oo, I just saw a program last night on the foodnetwork or was it the travel channel, o well, no biggy, but... they showed a chef making a reef inspired sugar sculpture and all he did was take a bowl of sugar and poured some hot sugar syrup (the same recipe for hard candy) like you would "sand cast" as candle covered it with the granulated sugar and an hour later badabing..... he had a piece of "coral" Hope that helps.

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 17

I was just looking through the book "Complete Cake Decorating" and saw a mermaid cake with the mermaid sitting on chocolate covered popcorn that I could see working as coral as well! All they did was melt the chocolate and mix the popcorn, stirring to cover. Just spoon into place.

HTH!
Mirjana

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

oo oo oo, I just saw a program last night on the foodnetwork or was it the travel channel, o well, no biggy, but... they showed a chef making a reef inspired sugar sculpture and all he did was take a bowl of sugar and poured some hot sugar syrup (the same recipe for hard candy) like you would "sand cast" as candle covered it with the granulated sugar and an hour later badabing..... he had a piece of "coral" Hope that helps.

Hello,

I am an avid marine aquarist and have several large reef tanks. I would LOVE it if you could think really hard about what show you saw. Do you remember the approximate time you were watching it so I could look at what programs were running on the two channels you mentioned?

Thanks so much!
~ Sherri

Oh, by the way, the Rice Krispies treats suggestion for modeling the live rock in the reef tank is AWESOME! I'm going to try this myself. icon_biggrin.gif

llee815 Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvucic

I was just looking through the book "Complete Cake Decorating" and saw a mermaid cake with the mermaid sitting on chocolate covered popcorn that I could see working as coral as well! All they did was melt the chocolate and mix the popcorn, stirring to cover. Just spoon into place.

HTH!
Mirjana

I have that book! Instead of popcorn, I used Rice Krispies. Just substitute the Rice Krispies for the popcorn.

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by llee815

I have that book! Instead of popcorn, I used Rice Krispies. Just substitute the Rice Krispies for the popcorn.

I'm so craving Rice Krispie Squares now! We used to make some and top them off with a good thick layer of soft chocolate! Yum!

icon_smile.gif

Mirjana

llee815 Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 11:31pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvucic

Quote:
Originally Posted by llee815

I'm so craving Rice Krispie Squares now! We used to make some and top them off with a good thick layer of soft chocolate! Yum!

icon_smile.gif

Mirjana

icon_biggrin.gif They reminded me of Crunch Bites...only better! icon_razz.gif

BTW, you can see what the chocolate-covered Rice Krispies look like under my Candle Cake. They're the "rocks" around the candle.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 17

I can think of two ways you can do this. One would be ice and chocolate. I've seen where you can fill a glass or container with ice, then pour chocolate over it. It runs between the ice and hardens up.

Another way is edible coral made with melted sugar and water plus royal icing. Here is some directions for it...
http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/cakepict/spongeshells.jpg

I did something simalar to it on my Nemo Look Alike cake that is in my photos.

macksnax Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 12:12am
post #12 of 17

thanks evryone for all the replies i checked out the link, its also something to consider, i really like the rice krispies idea. thank you all soooo much you are all very helpful.

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 12:17am
post #13 of 17

teassugar, awesome idea with the chocolate and water! I'm definately going to try that!

macksnax Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 6:45am
post #14 of 17

cakepro
i found the program that chaptlps was talking about i came across it on accident, it was unwrapped episode: sugar and spice. it was reaaly cool, iam going to have to give it a try. thumbs_up.gif hope this helps.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 7:22am
post #15 of 17

Awesome, thank you!!

Interesting timing...tonight's episode of Sugar Rush showed that exact same technique. What a neat thing to do! icon_smile.gif

I'm going to have to watch for that Sugar & Spice episode.

mistygaildunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistygaildunn Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 3:41pm
post #16 of 17

Could you use rock candy?

macksnax Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 3:16pm
post #17 of 17

okay its been awhile but that cake im doing for my husband is next week. and i think im going to use the rice krispies everyone was talking about only prob now is that i want to keep the texture that the rice krispies give and i just got a new airbrush so i really want to use it, how would i go about making the stone color you think. maybe super white than lightly over it with black??? i do need to have pinkish purple color on "rock krispies for the coral line alge" have any ideas please let me know. sorry so long!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%