The Paunch On My Fondant Cakes

Decorating By jdelectables Updated 24 Jan 2006 , 6:35am by Cake_Princess

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 22 Jan 2006 , 3:57am
post #1 of 21

Can anyone tell me why my fondant looks paunchy, if you will, on my cakes? Am I not stretching it enough? Instead of the straight-down look, it poofs out on the sides of the cake. Any help?

thanks,
Julie

20 replies
jdelectables Posted 22 Jan 2006 , 4:14am
post #2 of 21

Anyone?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Jan 2006 , 4:18am
post #3 of 21

Do you have a picture of it?

Also do you use a filling? Are you giving your cake and filling time to settle before icing the cake? Sometimes if you don't give it time you will get a bump around the the sides of the cake.

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 22 Jan 2006 , 4:21am
post #4 of 21

I've also read that not using your hands but a fondant smoother helps to prevent those bumpy looking sides. Using the palms of your hands might accentuate the bumps.

HTH icon_smile.gif

Mirjana

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 22 Jan 2006 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 21

Sounds like either trapped air or you're not using piping gel or apricot preserves (or whatever you like to use) to adhere the fondant to the icing on your cake.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 21

It gets the paunchy/love-handles look because as the filling settles/warms...it starts to come out between the layers. You can stop this by giving your cakes a good thicker crumb coating of the buttercream before you put the fondant on top.

I ice mine about 1/3" thick all over. The thick crumbcoat keeps the filling inside much better!

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 21

Also you can cover them with the fondant on a frozen or well chilled cake. then use the smoother and as it comes to room temp keep going back with the smoother..

jdelectables Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 21

I usually chill my cake before covering it with fondant. Do you use anything, water spritz, for example before you cover the cake? Here's the picture, by the way
LL

antonia74 Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 21

are you using a crusting buttercream under the fondant?

jdelectables Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 11:27pm
post #10 of 21

Yes, I'm using a crusting buttercream. I chill the cake, smooth it with a viva, and then put the fondant on it.

antonia74 Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 12:14am
post #11 of 21

if it's crusting, what does the buttercream adhere to?

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 12:19am
post #12 of 21

I am surprised to read how many people put buttercream under the fondant and curious to know why so many people use it?

Best advise I have regarding the fondant is to stretch and smooth lots and lots with either hands or a smoother. Generally works well.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 2:18am
post #13 of 21

dky...we Americans love our sweet frostings and find most fondants unpleasant eating.

BC is used as a "glue" and when people peel the fondant off their piece of cake there is some buttercream to eat under it.

dky Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 2:37am
post #14 of 21

Thank you, after some thought, I assumed it must have been a sweet and flavour thing. I am surprised to hear you comment on the flavour of fondant, it is sooooo very sweet and you can even get chocolate flavoured fondant etc.
I must say I like the taste of some brands better than others. For example here in australia the ORCHARD brand has a sweet vanillery flavour while CAKE ART brand not as sweet and can leave a slight after taste.
The other problem we have with buttercream is that we don't have access to chrisco shortening here in australia and there is no real equivelant, I have found something reasonably close now after much research.
Thank you for sharing the info.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 2:40am
post #15 of 21

No crisco???? Because of the heat???

dky Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 3:31am
post #16 of 21

heat... we are not in the sahara you know... ha ha ha.

We don't have the crisco brand I assume because the demand has not been there for it, but they must not be asking us cake people....
we here you guys talking about crisco shortening all the time and we want it.

We have a product called copha which is a solid white shortening based on coconut oil, but it does leave a little oily taste in your mouth. I have found a product called CREAMCUP through a company called CAROLINES SUGAR ART and they advertise it as a shortening for buttercream.

When you get it, it looks creamy yellow sort of like margarine and all you add to it is water and icing sugar. If you want it to be more like a vienna cream you replace the water with milk. Its very easy to work with and never flops.
Maybe you could let the crisco people know "we want crisco in australia" ha ha ha

jdelectables Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 4:05am
post #17 of 21

antonia74 ~ should I then spritz with water so that the fondant has something to adhere to?
Julie

dky Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 4:08am
post #18 of 21

I was alwasy told that water and fondant are not a good combination, the water can make the fondant break down and go gluey.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 4:26am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdelectables

antonia74 ~ should I then spritz with water so that the fondant has something to adhere to?
Julie

The reason you're getting air gaps is becasue the fondant is not sticking to the cake. If my crumbcoat has crusted, I take a clean damp paper towel and blot the entire cake with it. Misting it with a little water will do the same trick. Just a bit of moisture is the best glue for fondant....anything more tham that will melt it away....

good luck!!

jdelectables Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 4:31am
post #20 of 21

adven68, Thanks so much for your help!!!! I will try that next time!!
Have a great evening.
Julie

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 6:35am
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdelectables

Can anyone tell me why my fondant looks paunchy, if you will, on my cakes? Am I not stretching it enough? Instead of the straight-down look, it poofs out on the sides of the cake. Any help?

thanks,
Julie

I suggest making ur dam for the filling about 1/4 of an inch away from the edge of the cake. place your filling no higher than the top of the dam. Set your next layer on top and press it slightly in to place. This will cause the filling to try to make it the egde of the cake. If the dam bulges over the side slightly run a clean finger along the side. Then take your spatula and apply a thin crumb coat. Let it set a bit then apply a thicker coat and make sure you get it as smooth as possible. Apply your fondant.

Remember the trick is to not overfill your layers. If you have to much filling there is only one way for it to go. That's to the side and that creates the bulge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%