Easy Chocolate Transfers For Newbies

Decorating By SquirrellyCakes Updated 29 Nov 2016 , 4:40pm by 2txmedics

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 122

Here is something that is actually much easier than a buttercream transfer, but works about the same way, so you can follow the tutorial for Frozen Buttercream Transfers, but omit refrigerating or freezing because you don't need to.
There is a link with good instructions for doing a chocolate transfer:
http://www.geocities.com/heathers_cakes2000/chocolatedemo.html?1109787013625
I use an icing bag and a number 1 writing tip to do the outlining first, mainly because I am too lazy to make up parchment bags, which is really the best way to do the outlining. I use the dark chocolate candy melts and add the Wilton Candy Colour black to them to get black for outlining, if you use regular colouring on its own, it can cause the chocolate to seize but there is an Americolor product available that lets you use your regular Americolor colours in addition to it and you will be fine. You are working in reverse, so reverse your print just as you would a buttercream tranfer picture. Cover your picture with parchment paper and tape it down to your work surface, again the same as BCT's. I use a spoon and a toothpick to fill in the small transfers, but you can use again the parchment bags or a squeeze bottle. Whatever appears on the outside first, you do first, so the middle of the eye, then the white, that kind of thing. When I am done with all of the colours, I place a popsicle stick or cookie stick on top and then add more melted candy, someone had done a tutorial demonstration here on the site of that part a few days ago. If I am not using a stick, I just put an extra coat on top, to add strength. These set up quickly, remember to let the outlining set up first, then each colour as you use it, then once they are set, add that extra coat for strength and let it set. Usually no more than 20-25 minutes complete. I melt the candy in small pyrex custard cups, for 30 second increments of time, usually takes a total of about 1 minute but don't do it all at one time or the chocolate can seize up. If it does, add a bit of Crisco and reheat.
If there is a lot of detail and you have several to do, well they can take quite a bit of time, but they are simple to do and you can get good results.
Here is the latest Dora and friends cake I did with them. I attached them using buttercream behind them.
Excuse the pictures, I was in a hurry and didn't realize the light coming in the window would make Dora and Boots appear faded.
Hugs Squirrelly
LL

121 replies
SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 122

Another view.
LL

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 122

Wow! Is that cool!

mjsparkles2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjsparkles2001 Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 122

So cute ... thanks for the tips.

mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 122

Very cool thanks for the tips thumbs_up.gif

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 122

That's one awesome cake Squirrelly. Thanks for the tips and info. The link unfortunately doesn't work icon_sad.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilscakes

That's one awesome cake Squirrelly. Thanks for the tips and info. The link unfortunately doesn't work icon_sad.gif

Darn, it did that for awhile yesterday too, hhmn, try again later? Otherwise just follow Cali4Dawn's Frozen Buttercream Transfer tutorial but no need to refrigerate or freeze and use melted candy melts instead of icing.
Hugs Squirrelly

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 9:35pm
post #8 of 122

Wow great tips and link Squirrelly - I will give this a try! Looks fun! Love your cake too! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks

cakebybek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebybek Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 9:35pm
post #9 of 122

Wow too cool, thank you for the tip!!! Your cake is awsome.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 9:43pm
post #10 of 122

Thanks all, they are actually fun to do and you don't have to worry about wormies to smooth out and such, haha, bonus! Older children can make these too because the chocolate is not extremely hot when you use it.
Just thought I would mention it and post a picture so people could see that it doesn't take a lot of practice to get a pretty good effect with them. You can also do a large one for the top of your cake but in that case, I go much thinner in the depth of the chocolate and you would want to cut through the chocolate with a warm knife.
Hugs Squirrelly

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 9:44pm
post #11 of 122

Great cake! Thanks for the tip and the link worked.

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 9:47pm
post #12 of 122

Thanks for the tip, Squirrelly. The cake is really cute.

Wilma

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 9:56pm
post #13 of 122

Great tips. Thanks. The cake is really cute.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 10:53pm
post #14 of 122

Wow, you've been holding out on us...your design is fantastic.

I'm willing to try anything that means less work to do icon_lol.gif

Is this like the method that Dawn did?

Once again, you are a remarkable woman with talents that you keep hidden from us...naughty, naughty, naughty; just for this, you lose one of those nuts icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 11:04pm
post #15 of 122

Thanks for sharing! That's a really cool tip. The link worked for me also. I love your Dora cake. I think I'll use that method for a Miss Spider cake I was planning on making for DD's birthday.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 11:08pm
post #16 of 122

Squirrelly, I am assuming that if this is done just like the FBCT and placed directly on the cake, then it will not cut the same as the FBCT. It will be much harder.

peachstate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachstate Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 11:15pm
post #17 of 122

That is great. I like FBCT, but this sounds like it would be alot easier and take alot less time. Thanks a bunch for sharing!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 11:16pm
post #18 of 122

This is a really great cake, and I know the kids loved it, Squirrelly, and your instructions are very helpful...hope I can make one this nice someday! Thanks! Janice

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 11:22pm
post #19 of 122

I actually use this technique quite a bit. I LOVE it!! And customers LOVE getting chocolate on their cakes!!!

candyladyhelen....you are right, the chocolate gets hard so you can't cut through it like a FBCT. Most times I've used chocolate transfer on top....people usually just break off pieces and put it on their slice of cake.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 11:30pm
post #20 of 122

Wow, I never thought of it being able to break off really well! Ok, now I MUST try it since I have tons of candy wafers at all time in the house!!!!! I may have found a substitute for FBCT!!!!!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 11:44pm
post #21 of 122

This is the same technique I used for my einstein cake in my photos and on a cake I hope to post tonight. I really like it because I don't worry so much about breaking and drying time as you do with other techniques.

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 11:47pm
post #22 of 122

Squirrellycakes,

You cake is amazing!!! I will definitely have to try this technique. I don't like those little wormy things either with the FBCTs. Thanks for sharing!!!

Cindy

mazaryk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazaryk Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 12:29am
post #23 of 122

Thanks SquirrellyCakes,

I need to make a Strawberry Shortcake Birthday Cake and then a Batman/Spiderman Birthday Cake both for 01/24.

I have never done Frozen Buttercream Transfers. . . but my colorflow birds from the Wilton class broke apart after letting them dry for 2 weeks!

Tamara

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 4:38am
post #24 of 122

Wonderful job, Squirrelly!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Do these chocolate transfers get wrinkle lines in them from the parchment like the frozen transfers do??
I don't mean the wormy lines in the icing. I mean the wrinkle impressions from the wax paper after it has been frozen??

I hope I'm explaining this alright.

Purple icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 4:54am
post #25 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

Wow, you've been holding out on us...your design is fantastic.

I'm willing to try anything that means less work to do icon_lol.gif

Is this like the method that Dawn did?

Once again, you are a remarkable woman with talents that you keep hidden from us...naughty, naughty, naughty; just for this, you lose one of those nuts icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Keep your paws off my nuts, repeat...Haha!
Yes, it is done exactly the same way you do a buttercream transfer like Dawn did the tutorial for, except you are using melted candy melts and you don't need to refrigerate or freeze to set. Some people on the site also use these and attach them to cookies instead of using royal icing.
You can also make any kind of decoration in the same manner, the work you would normally do with royal icing, like lattice hearts, things like that, instead can be made from the candy melts and they are less fragile and are not affected by buttercream. You can make Princess tiaras, just tape the pattern and parchment around a large can to shape while you do them, same idea, except for the tiara, and the lattice hearts and such you are going to use the up side as the good side, not the down side.
Hugs Squirrelly

melony1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melony1976 Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 5:24am
post #26 of 122

This sounds like something fun to do. What wormy things are you talking about with the FBCT . I don't do them so I dont know, but I'm curious. icon_biggrin.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 6:11am
post #27 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by melony1976

This sounds like something fun to do. What wormy things are you talking about with the FBCT . I don't do them so I dont know, but I'm curious. icon_biggrin.gif

Haha, well when you do the fill in, people usually use a writing type of tip and if they don't press down afterwards enough, with the buttercream transfers you could end up with this worm-like appearance on the good side of the transfer. Basically it is because the icing didn't flow out enough. But when you do a chocolate transfer, because the chocolate is melted, it automatically flows and fills in and you don't get this problem.
Hugs Squirrelly

FunnyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunnyCakes Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 11:42am
post #28 of 122

beautiful! How did you color the chocolate? Or did you use already-colored melts?

You are VERY talented.

spoiledtoodef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spoiledtoodef Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 1:04pm
post #29 of 122

Squirrelly Cakes,

Ok, that cake is awesome. I have a few questions for you before I tempt the transfers.

1) I know you will need the chocolate (brown) melts to make the black. However, if you were just starting out would you just purchase a large amount of the white melts and color them or would you purchase individual colored melts?

2) I purchased every set of the Americolor that they have out on market. Will I be able to color the melts with the regular Americolors. I also purchased all of the Amerimist for the airbrush I am not sure if they would work.

3) Is there a certain brand of melts you like better than others? Where do you like to purchase your melts? I will have to order them via internet, Naples Italy is very limited on their cake decorating supplies.

Thanks for all of your help. I have been afraid to try the FBCT, but I will try this once I know what to purchase....Once again thanks......Kim

chocolate1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolate1 Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 1:26pm
post #30 of 122

Squirrely Cakes..so good to see your name again!..as always..your suggestions are terrific..and they work..great cake..trying the buttercream transfers seemed too daunting..this I can do..happy icing, Chocolate1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%