Just A Tad Bit Annoyed

Business By didi5 Updated 5 Mar 2007 , 1:41am by popcornbrown

rosiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecakes Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:02pm
post #121 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

A lady told me I'd be getting a lot of exposure and a lot of business if I gave her a great deal on a cake (trying to get me to do it for nearly nothing!) and I told her "Well that is flattering, but I frequently turn away business - if I cannot assure quality I won't do it, so the prospect of getting lots of business isn't really a lure for me." icon_rolleyes.gif Ironically -- she was sooo impressed with that answer that she quit arguing over price with me! Go figure!! icon_cool.gif

I don't have clients haggling over price either, in fact they practically kiss my butt to have me do their cake, because i am SOOOO busy (with other things raising kids) it has to be really "worth my time". Now someone told me a long time ago "Scarcity Sells" and it's the God honest truth, human nature is to want what you think you can't have. So when someone asks me about a cake i generally say "well i dont know let me check the calendar i do have alot going on with scouts and soccer" its not a ploy its the truth, but by then they are just about begging me to do thier cake and i can charge what i want (which still is never enough for the stress of having to deal with it nights after work). My issue now is that i have to charge more and STICK to my guns.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:10pm
post #122 of 205

Can I order at those prices? Heck, it would save money even with the delivery!!! icon_lol.gif

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:35pm
post #123 of 205

I hope you sent her packing! The nerve of some people!

I have to say though that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this entire thread! I woke up this morning feeling kinda down and really needed the laugh. I haven't laughed this hard in a week. Thanks CC!! icon_biggrin.gif

It's threads like these that remind me of why this is a truly great site with talented and supportive members. thumbs_up.gif

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 4:47pm
post #124 of 205

wow! arent people something?!
your prices sound excellent, i have never even done the mini tiers just because of the work involved, they are a pain. and people around here dont want to pay much for there cakes, especially a mini cake. anyway, hold firm.
my comment to her, is...i dont know the quality of the other decorators work, flavor, etc. she should go with the other person.

i had one bride call and wanted me to match a quote form another bakery, and thats what i told her, i dont know the kind of cake, her ability, etc. and said no.

did you reply to her yet?

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:07pm
post #125 of 205

From fireyourweddingplanner.com:

Quote:
Quote:

Here's a typical scenario:

You walk into a store to choose a wedding cake. At first you're a little bit shocked to learn how much the cake is going to cost, but you finally just accept that this is part of the price of a great wedding. Because you've never bought a wedding cake before, you don't even realize that you could be paying more just because the person behind the counter knows that you won't argue because you don't know any better than to pay full price.

This woman is completely offensive! Yeah, all us wedding cake makers are that evil "person behind the counter" just counting on the fact that the bride won't ARGUE. ARGUE??? Over the price of a cake??? Who needs that? I think indydebi was spot on -- this bride has been reading Stephi Stewart. Yuck.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:16pm
post #126 of 205

I think this "stephy Stewert" person needs to get a couple pointers from her distant cousin 3x's removed my marriage and adoption, Martha Stewert and learn exactly what goes into making a wedding cake, I've made both wedding dresses and wedding cakes and to tell you the truth for both of them to be good quality they take bout the same time of work. To be honest n truthful bout it.
And I'm a fast sew-er and decorator.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:20pm
post #127 of 205

Evidently, you are the better decorator or they would be going with the other lady. They want quality work for a cheap price. Don't budge.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:26pm
post #128 of 205

The thing that cracks me up about this Stephi Stewart woman is that she's cashing in on these brides while bashing all the other vendors. Hmm - how many brides do you think are ordering her $39.95/PRICE SLASH now $29.95 web book? I'm sure it adds up to a pretty penny for her. Do you think I could talk her down to $9.95? That's all my budget can afford?

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:30pm
post #129 of 205

All I can say is, Wow....how tacky.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:33pm
post #130 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by biviana

NO cake for her!
Keep us posted.

icon_lol.gif I got it icon_lol.gif

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:35pm
post #131 of 205

FELLOW CAKE DECORATORS- CHARGE LIKE A LAWYER-THE MORE HEADACHE-THE HIGHER THE PRICE.
CERTAIN PERSONALITIES- I AM ALWAYS BOOKED WHEN THEY COME LOOKING FOR A BARGAIN(CHEAP).
WHEN I FIRST MEET WITH A CLIENT- IF THEY CANNOT MAKE UP THEIR MIND I WILL GLADLY SEND THEM TO A STORE. I WON'T EVEN SEND THEM TO ANOTHER ONE OF US.

HAPPY BAKING AND DECORATING!!!!

Janette Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:39pm
post #132 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Nikki_B, I can't understand why someone would think you're a BIG-ITCH just because you're trying to point out the error of their ways! I just can't see it!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Seriously, if any of you have not signed up to get Stephi Stewart's daily email, you should. She is a big advocate of "Tell them this is what you can pay! They'll come down on their price!" I get her email everyday just so I can keep track of what she is telling brides. More than once, I've said to brides "Contrary to what Stephi is telling you......"

THe website to sign up is "www.fireyourweddingplanner.com". It's a free sign-up. It's like spying on the "enemy"! icon_wink.gif

Whoa, I wonder how many weddings her advice ruined. She is so off track.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:43pm
post #133 of 205

I don't really have anything to add beyond what others have said here already. I just wanted to say that your cakes are very, very nice. You mentioned the 'sweet' bride on a budget that you made the pink and brown cake for. That cake is lovely.

I am not in business but when someone is really nice and asks for a cake then I tend to go out of my way to try to make it nicer and maybe throw in some extras. But when someone asks for something at the last minute or is sounding too picky then I suddenly get very busy!

I have more respect for people trying to work within their budget than people that have plenty of money to spend but then do not want to pay much because they are so-o-o special. icon_razz.gif

Cindy

Janette Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:47pm
post #134 of 205

So, whata think did5? Do you think we have convenced you to be busy that day icon_wink.gif

I had a bride ask be to give her a break and price because she was ordering the shower cake too. I told her my prices are so low as it is that I just can't. But, I understood if she wanted to look around. She was so nice to deal with, I will give her extra without charge. shhh.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:48pm
post #135 of 205

Maybe we should all email Stephi Stewart and tell her how full of cr*% she is when it come to cake decorating icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:34pm
post #136 of 205

I am not a professional cake decorator. I love doing it for my kids' birthdays, my husband's work, and friends.

I think you are giving her a HUGE price break as it is, experienced with the minicakes or not. As explained below, I was on a serious budget for my wedding, but that's when YOU have to be willing to work within your own budget, not make everyone else work in it for you

I totally understand the budget thing, because when I got married 8 years ago, I was on a really strict budget too. But I had really great friends who did a lot of the work on my wedding reception as incredibly generous wedding gifts. I had two friends offer to make my cake (together). It was a simple 2 tier buttercream with a buttercream sheetcake and a chocolate grooms cake on the side.

My point is that budgets are great and I'm all for more simplified weddings since there's so much going on it'll be hard to remember everything anyway. BUT, the person who has to work within the budget is the person who has the budget, not everyone else.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:29pm
post #137 of 205

Uh.. yea... sure... if the bride is living in fantasy land. She's the one on the budget, she either gets the cake she wants for the price she has to pay, or she gets an inferior cake. Tell her you'll do the exact same cake that the other bride is getting for the 70 guests for $250.. She's getting a steel no matter how you figure it. I charge $10minimum for individual cakes (cupcakes are a different story of course).. There is nothing extra charged for the decoration (using the sewing marker to go up the sides of the hex), it's the labor that she's being charged on with the individual cakes. If she doesn't like your prices, wha! icon_cry.gif , they're a steel as it is.

Otherwise, I believe it's that hard time for every baker when we have to say someone brought by their deposit today, "I'm already booked that weekend" (to clean out my DH's belly button lint icon_wink.gif )... thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:41pm
post #138 of 205

If you REALLY want to do this, then drop your price to meet her expectations. Personally, when a customer tells me their budget is less than the quote I have given them, I ask THEM what they're willing to change about the design and decoration. If she only has $250 to spend then she should be looking at a stacked cake, not indivdual mini cakes. I would charge around $1000 for an order like that, and not budge from it.
I think your price is the bargain of the century!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 10:23pm
post #139 of 205

Please let us know the outcome of this. We are all watching to see what happens next.

Gapi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gapi Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 10:32pm
post #140 of 205

Wow, today I just made my first mini-cake and it´s a lot of work. And you´re doing it for 5$. I think YOU have to put the price of your work. It´s a lot of stress and cakes to cover. Plus, I think that if you give her a lower price than someone else is going to expect you to give them the same price.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 10:44pm
post #141 of 205

I know your not crazy, but!!!! 350. I would not even wake up and get up early to make those. I would charge 700 for the total. Tell that bitch (sorry for the name, but I'm not taking that name off cause that's what she is!) to make seventy mini cakes and ice them and tell you how her wedding came out.
I think your cakes are beautiful...you are way underbidding yourself already as it is.
P.S. Walmart wouldn't even charge that little.

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 11:48pm
post #142 of 205

Wow!! my cakes are no where near yours and just thinking about it I would charge $10 per cake, cause that what I charge for a 6" sometimes $15.

I say don't do it for $350, you'll not enjoy it. She should work within her budget not everybody else. Champagne taste, beer budget. Then she wants a discount for her friend, the nerve.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:36am
post #143 of 205

At this point, if she gets back with you tell her that you have already accepted another order and you are not able to do her order, save yourself a big headache. Its not worth the hassle. I agree, at least 1000! I wouldn't turn my oven on for 350!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:58am
post #144 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by didi5

I had a consultation with this bride and she wants the design of the hexagon cake ( just the top tier) the same as the picture below and 70 minicake version of it. When I had the consultation with her, her friend was there too (whom I did not know was coming). They kept mentioning to give them a better deal because there was two of them. My BC cakes start at 2.50 and fondant is 3.50. SHe even had a special request of egg free cake which I did not charge extra for. I qouted her $350 total and this is what she emailed me:

Hi the cake was good but I still have a problem with price, I
still
think it is a little expensive for 70 people 350$ my friend who is
getting
married on july 7 has 200 guests and is paying 360 she has the better
deal.
I lOVE THE CAKE BUT NOT THE PRICE. How is it that the design now cost
money
when you said there would be no extra charge for that. I am kind of
upset
because you are not willing to budge and especially because its not
just me
you get two customers instead of one most people are willing to bargain
when
they see that they have 2 customers instead of 1. I will think about
it and
let you know, but i would like a better price. for 70 people i think
250$
is reasonable.

So what do you guys think? Am I out of line here? How much would you charge for this? I mean there's a lot of work involve in this. Imagine quilting all those mini ones! When I first read this, I was fuming but now just find it annoying. bleh

**edited to add that this cake was made by Les Fantaisies de Sophie.

Tell her you can do 250$ and she can make the 70 minicakes and decorate them herself. She is ridiculous.

rockii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockii Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:08am
post #145 of 205

Tell her you can do 250$ and she can make the 70 minicakes and decorate them herself. She is ridiculous.[/quote]

lol, that's funny!
but, I bet the bride would still have a problem with even that!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 1:20pm
post #146 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Seriously, if any of you have not signed up to get Stephi Stewart's daily email, you should.......THe website to sign up is "www.fireyourweddingplanner.com". It's a free sign-up. It's like spying on the "enemy"! icon_wink.gif

Just thought I'd share the Stephi email I got today to give you an example. http://www.fireyourweddingplanner.com/TakeCharge/

The part I REALLY want to point out is.....

"I teach a very simple approach to successfully planning a wedding on a budget and it's based on this simple concept - "It's your money, so act like it! What I mean by this is you're spending the money, so you're in charge (not the wedding vendors!)."

While I will advocate that one should maintain some control over their budget, what this SHOULD mean is "if you can't afford Plan A, then you need to look at Plan B." What Ms. Stephi advocates is "if you can't afford Plan A, then you need to tell the vendor to change their price so you can get it anyway."

This could probably turn into it's own thread!

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 2:34pm
post #147 of 205

I emailed her this reply:
Hi ,
I'm sorry to hear how you feel about the pricing of your wedding cake. The $15 that I quoted you for the large hexagon cake was for the flower decorations on top ( which is of course optional if you decide to use real ones.). I did not give a quote on that when we talked, however I thought that you understood that I will give one when I finished my estimation.

Yes I think we do agree on one thing, we both don't like the price. When I received your e-mail, I was troubled because I thought I gave you a very good price. So I went looking for quotes from other bakers for your chosen design and I have realized that I had seriously underestimated the time, cost and labour that it will take to make those mini cakes. Learning what I know now, under no circumstances will I make this cake for just $350. I have no problems working within a bride's budget, but most are realistic enough to know what their budget can buy. For $250, I can make an elegant buttercream cake with simple decorations for 100 people. I couldn't give you and your friend a better pricing because I have already quoted the lowest that I could.

Do you know the exact details of your friends wedding cake? Is it 200 mini cakes covered in fondant? Do they bake from scratch and use all butter icing? I only use the best quality, freshest ingredients there is. I take pride in the cakes that I make and I know that they are of good quality, in both taste and execution of design. I think it is for your best interest that you book with your friend's wedding cake maker. I can totally understand if you go with her. I'm sure you can get a better deal with her.
Anyway, thanks for your interest and I wish you all the best for your wedding.

Sincerely,

Darlene

I waited until the next day to answer her to give her the impression that I was going around getting quotes (which really I did thumbs_up.gif ) I really hope I won't hear from her anymore, I don't want to deal with her anymore.

Again thanks guys for your support!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 2:50pm
post #148 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by didi5

I waited until the next day to answer her to give her the impression that I was going around getting quotes (which really I did thumbs_up.gif ) I really hope I won't hear from her anymore, I don't want to deal with her anymore.

Again thanks guys for your support!

You were truthful with her, you did get quotes from others. You didn't drive or call around. We all gave you the quotes you needed with out making it a "big production" on your end. You did it the smart way.
Also, email you replied to her was very good!

Janette Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 3:38pm
post #149 of 205

That was great.

I don't think she will reply but if she does, you must share.

That is great you let the Bimbo know instead of trying to lower and already low price you are going to increase the charge. I just love it.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 3:51pm
post #150 of 205

Your letter is perfect.

I was trying to explain to DH this morning about baking, covering in fondant, quilting, and dragee'ing 70 mini-cakes. He said "you'd have to work for a week". He's a smart boy! icon_smile.gif

I also doubt your bride will respond, but please please post if she does.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%